Official Review: There's an earwig in my fish tank

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Official Review: There's an earwig in my fish tank

Post by AmySmiles »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "There's an earwig in my fish tank" by Helen Collins.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There's An Earwig in My Fish Tank by Helen Collins is a non-fiction book of tales in the adventures of pet ownership.

Helen Collins tells her own story of the trials and tribulations about owning different types of animals, from dogs and cats, to birds and fish. She starts out by explaining her early love of animals and how it is a privilege to be responsible for the animals she has taken care of throughout the years. In fact, she wrote her book as a tribute to rescued animals everywhere.

After explaining her love for animals, she introduces us to a list of her most current pets that she is writing about in this book. Each chapter has a whimsical title and typically focuses on a particular tale about a specific pet. One chapter, as you might guess, is appropriately named after the book. While the author spends a great deal writing about all her pets, it soon becomes clear that the book mainly focuses on one, beloved dog, they call Monty. She explains how Monty joins their family and how she talks her husband into keeping the stray dog. Monty, however, ends up being so much more than they ever could have imagined.

As a pet lover myself, I enjoyed reading about the many tales that happened to this family and their pets. It became very clear that she loves all the animals that she has been entrusted with. The author’s quirky writing style made the stories fun and relatable; while telling a different story in each chapter, she kept them short and to the point. Helen Collins keeps most of the stories light-hearted and full of fun, but she does manage to tell a couple of heartbreaking stories that just might have you in tears. That is the nature of pet ownership, unfortunately, but she gracefully keeps the book all about her love for each animal in any situation.

While I appreciated each story the author brought to the book, I wish she would have written them in chronological order. The stories jumped back and forth in time with no real order in particular, which made the book feel choppy and the story didn't flow as well as it could have if told in sequence. Also, the book is written in British English, which had me confused at times. I did not always understand some of the phrases or words the author used. I found a few spots where commas or words were missing, along with several run-on sentences. While this distracted me when reviewing the book, I don’t believe it would be a major distraction to the reader who is just picking up the book for a fun read.

I am rating this book 3 out of 4 stars. The grammatical issues keep me from giving 4 stars, and if I could give a half rating I would give it 2.5 stars. The flow of the book kept me from wanting to keep reading. It was easy to set this book down after reading a chapter or two, and sometimes I found myself not caring to pick up the book, as I didn’t really feel like I had to know what happened next. I do believe that any animal lover would enjoy this book, but if British English words and spelling trip you up, it may not be for you.

There's an earwig in my fish tank
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like AmySmiles's review? Post a comment saying so!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Thank you for the heads up about the language use. I don't have pets of my own and would love to have one. I think this book may prove to be a comfort read. Thank you!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the detailed review, and it seems like a great read if you have a couple hours to spare and are not looking for anything complex. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

This sounds like a fun, entertaining read! Thanks for a great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

The title creeped me out, but this sounds like a heart-warming book for animal lovers.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

I'm a Brit and a bit of a sucker for touching animal stories. Even so, this is perhaps something I'd pick up in someone else's house on a rainy Sunday afternoon, rather than something I'd actually go out of my way to buy. I know what you mean about the anecdotal style - it does make a book easy to read, but also quite easy to put down and not necessarily pick up again. Maybe using chronological order would have helped with that. Thanks for the review.
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb »

I love pet stories. Thanks for a great review.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks for an honest, insightful review! Flow is so important in a book and it's a shame the flow was choppy and jumped back and forth so much. Hope your next book is one you won't want to put down. :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
AmySmiles
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder

Post by AmySmiles »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 23 May 2018, 04:28 Thank you for the heads up about the language use. I don't have pets of my own and would love to have one. I think this book may prove to be a comfort read. Thank you!
Thanks for reading! It could definitely be a comfort read, and one where you could just choose a chapter to read and enjoy one or two you pick out.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
AmySmiles
Currently Reading:

Post by AmySmiles »

gen_g wrote: 23 May 2018, 10:22 Thank you for the detailed review, and it seems like a great read if you have a couple hours to spare and are not looking for anything complex. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Thanks for the comment. It definitely is an enjoyable read.
–Author Unknown
AmySmiles
Currently Reading:

Post by AmySmiles »

stacie k wrote: 23 May 2018, 10:47 This sounds like a fun, entertaining read! Thanks for a great review!
Thanks for commenting!
–Author Unknown
AmySmiles
Currently Reading:

Post by AmySmiles »

teacherjh wrote: 24 May 2018, 09:53 The title creeped me out, but this sounds like a heart-warming book for animal lovers.
It is a creepy title lol. Thanks for the comment.
–Author Unknown
AmySmiles
Currently Reading:

Post by AmySmiles »

Libs_Books wrote: 25 May 2018, 12:49 I'm a Brit and a bit of a sucker for touching animal stories. Even so, this is perhaps something I'd pick up in someone else's house on a rainy Sunday afternoon, rather than something I'd actually go out of my way to buy. I know what you mean about the anecdotal style - it does make a book easy to read, but also quite easy to put down and not necessarily pick up again. Maybe using chronological order would have helped with that. Thanks for the review.
I have nothing against Brits I just have trouble sometimes with the different words used. Thanks for leaving a comment!
–Author Unknown
AmySmiles
Currently Reading:

Post by AmySmiles »

dtb wrote: 28 May 2018, 08:30 I love pet stories. Thanks for a great review.
I do too, thanks for the comment.
–Author Unknown
AmySmiles
Currently Reading:

Post by AmySmiles »

bookowlie wrote: 29 May 2018, 08:31 Thanks for an honest, insightful review! Flow is so important in a book and it's a shame the flow was choppy and jumped back and forth so much. Hope your next book is one you won't want to put down. :)
It really is a bummer, but still a good book none the less. Thanks for the comment.
–Author Unknown

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”