Review by liftedbooks -- And Then I Met Margaret

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
liftedbooks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liftedbooks.html
Latest Review: The Life and Lessons of a Young Author by Sunayna Prasad

Review by liftedbooks -- And Then I Met Margaret

Post by liftedbooks » 22 May 2018, 06:12

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Author Robert White tells his own tale in an entertaining, informative, and easy to read book called And then I met Margaret. The title might have you believe that it is a work of fiction, or at least those were my initial thoughts, however it is anything but.

The book details Robert’s life as a youth from a small mill town to becoming successful in the real estate and restaurant business. All chapters begin with a statement about one of his core beliefs, or myths. At the end of the chapter, he repeats the myth and follows it with ‘The reality I discovered’. Each of these statements are simple, yet profound.

Rob relays that although he had great success, he also experienced a ‘deepening feeling of inner emptiness. This led him on the path of seeking out ‘world-class gurus’.

In the book, White expresses his feelings perceptively through his fluid writing. The author captured place, people and mood vividly. I was engrossed from the very first page, admiring the message of his own story. I appreciated the fact that the author did not bore me with the usual psychological jargon. He kept me interested by making it easy enough to read, and at the same time delivering a thought-provoking message.

Each chapter respectively deals with life-changing lessons White learned thanks to some interesting characters, described as everyday ‘gurus’. I particularly enjoyed the interaction he had with these individuals and the way he documented his conversations with them. It is emotionally satisfying without being too sentimental.

The message I personally received from And then I met Margaret is that each person is extraordinary in their own way. Because of this, we can learn something from everyone that we may encounter in our lifetime. They don’t need to be world-famous, they just need to be alive.
I believe this book is universally appealing and could rewarding to any individual- regardless of background. Ensure that you read it slowly, savoring the skillful writing, the apt descriptions, and enjoying the colorful characters. This book could easily change your outlook on life.

I would recommend this beautifully constructed book to anyone who is looking for an inspirational read, as the message in it is uplifting and empowering. White is an amazing story-teller and you can easily get engrossed in his writing. This, along with what I learnt from this book, makes it easy for me to give it a rating of 4 out of 4.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like liftedbooks's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”