Official Review: The Words of Jesus by Lois Rader

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: The Words of Jesus by Lois Rader

Post by melissy370 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Words of Jesus" by Lois Rader.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lois Rader spent years using a reading guide for her Bible study. Soon she found herself not satisfied with that and wanting more. She felt the Holy Spirit leading her into a unique Bible study that encompassed over a year of examining the red-letter words (words attributed to Jesus). The outcome is her creating a devotional book titled The Words of Jesus. She found that when we get caught up in the narrative so much we miss the point Jesus is making. Each chapter is divided up into themes and have corresponding sayings of Jesus that go with it. For example, the first chapter's topic is "Jesus' Early Ministry" and all of Jesus' remarks from the beginning of his teaching years are in it. After reading what Jesus spoke, Radar gives follow-up questions to delve further into the meaning behind the axioms.

I found this devotional comforting and revitalizing. I sometimes have a penchant for skimming the story because I think I know the gist. But, because all I had was Jesus' words, it was easier to zone in on his points. The sole focus on Jesus' words drew me out of my own Bible study routine and gave me more insights into the scriptures. Background information is important in putting Jesus' words into context, so sometimes Radar would ask the reader to read other passages to get a fuller perception of what was happening. I thought that this was a useful approach to understanding the whole gospel.

Radar's study questions ranged from simple to the more profound. By simple I mean it would be "what do you think about this passage?" Some other questions would probe deeper, and I would often sit back and mull it over more. One such question was after Jesus speaks on the cross saying, "It is finished." The author asks, "What is finished? Jesus' work on earth or the old covenant?" For most of us, we at once think of his work being finished, but the latter part of the query is plausible too. Being saved by adhering to the old covenant's divine laws ended when Jesus died on the cross and in its place came salvation by faith in his name.

The author provides more information on the history during that time and the meaning of words spoken to enhance the understanding of the passage. In one of Jesus' famous parables, he talks about getting a camel through the eye of a needle. The "eye of a needle" pertains to an opening in the wall of a city and sheds light on the broader meaning of this parable. When Jesus curses a fig tree, its physical attributes hold the key in why he withered it. In Greek, the word "hand" means "power" and the word "right" indicates the hand we reach out with and which we receive. So, Jesus' usage of the term "right hand" is calculated when he declares that we should cut off our "right hand" if it makes us sin.

I wish I could say the book was perfect, but I can't. There were a few punctuation and grammatical errors. Also, the arrangement of the narrative was off periodically with the subtitles. The subtitle would be "Jesus is Tempted," but Jesus is talking to Simon and changing his name to Peter. Or a subtitle would be placed in between Jesus' words and the study questions. Sometimes the font color was incorrect. All of Jesus' words were in red, but occasionally, so was the name of the book of the Bible and its verses. All these though were minor, and it did not hinder my reading too much.

I give Lois Radar's book The Words of Jesus 3 out of 4 stars for its ingenuity and clarity in presenting a different way of learning Jesus' teachings. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to deepen their faith or are looking for a fresh way to study Christianity. New believers or anyone who is curious about Jesus' sayings would benefit as well. The Bible can intimidate some in its entirety and the red-letter words only being read for starters is more assessable.

The Words of Jesus
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like melissy370's review? Post a comment saying so!
agboola adenike
Currently Reading: White Witch
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by agboola adenike »

this is really nice and should be kept by both young and the old, full explanation about the doubted meanings in verses in the bible are being done, I'll recommend this book for those who love the gospel and wish to know more about the gospel
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This sounds intriguing. I enjoy finding out about the deeper meanings in scripture.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

This could possibly be a useful tool for personal Bible study. I always appreciate a nudge to dig deeper to draw out the meaning and encourage application. Thanks for your thoughtful review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I am thankful that someone is able to put all of Jesus's words into a book and analyze their deeper meanings. This is truly inspirational. Great review.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

This one looks inviting to me because I do love devotionals. It sounds like the author did a great job in putting it together so that Bible readers will enjoy its deep meaning. This one just may have to go on my overflowing shelf! Great job on the review, and maybe those errors will get tidied up to make it perfect.
Everything happens for a reason...
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I'm glad it touches upon the symbolic meanings of biblical phrases. Too often, people take everything so literally and the result is a potentially harmful viewpoint and completely skewed. Thank you for a great review.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Thanks for a thorough review. This book sounds like a useful guide. I'm not sure that any of the information is new, but it might be handy to have it all pulled together in this context.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

Because of the difference in faith, I would like to skip reading this book. It's in the eyes of faith that Christians believe that Jesus is God despite he eats, drinks, thirsts, and all... like humans. In the islamic faith, Jesus peace be upon him is one of God's messengers. Both Christian and the Islamic faith will think each other's claim blasphemous. Thanks for your detailed review.
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

Thank you for the insightful review. I think this would be a good read for anyone who wants to dig deeper into their faith and explore questions they might have.
Gabrielumaru
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Gabrielumaru »

The words of Jesus.
the write-up gives clearity and explanation to some statements which may seem confusing. An inspiration to the lover of the true gospel.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

I would be interested in reading this book based on the in-depth look at the particular meaning and message in Jesus’ words. Well-written review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”