Official Review: NAPOLEON, CHARLES XII and HITLER, Challe...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: NAPOLEON, CHARLES XII and HITLER, Challe...

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "NAPOLEON, CHARLES XII and HITLER, Challenge and Calamity in Russia" by Adolf af Jochnick.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Driven by two objectives, Charles XII of Sweden invaded Russia in 1707, which was then ruled by Peter the Great. Charles wanted to recover part of the Swedish territory that had been taken by the Russians and also punish Peter for attacking Sweden in 1700. Peter was ready to make a treaty with Charles and return much of Swedish territory that was now under Russia. But the vehement and stubborn leader, Charles, could not give in to Peter’s request. He wanted more; he wanted the land now occupied by St Petersburg.

100 years later, in 1812, the zealous French emperor Napoleon Bonaparte attacked Russia, his reasons, to prove the military prowess of France to other European rulers and make Tsar Alexander abide by the continental system. With an army estimated at 500,000 to 600,000, Napoleon went after Russian troops which had less than 200,000 men. Napoleon was later to learn that size was not everything. Barclay de Tolly, the commander of the Russian troops outwitted the French ruler by his strategic mastery even though his army was incredibly outnumbered.

1941, Adolf Hitler invaded the Soviet Union in the operation named Operation Barbarossa. His aim was to defeat the Soviet army and capture or shatter the Soviet industry. Like Charles XII and Napoleon Bonaparte, his attempts failed.

Why did the three invasions that could have changed the course of history fail? Were there common oversights that were made by the three rulers or was each situation unique? What set Russia on the path of success beyond all odds in all the three instances?

NAPOLEON, CHARLES XII and HITLER, Challenge and Calamity in Russia by Adolf af Jochnick is an incredibly gripping book that explores the reasons behind Russia’s success in the face of war in the three historical invasions. The book is very well researched and organized. This made it easy for me to grasp the content despite the complexity of the information contained. The author, Adolf af Jochnick , goes to great lengths to present the information in an easily comprehensible manner. In one instance, he even imagines what a conversation between Charles XII and Peter the Great could have been like.

Further, the author provides the reader with numerous maps. These maps aided my imagination and helped me trace the routes that were taken by the different armies. Also, they helped me understand how different location-based strategies were implemented and why failures occurred on the part of the invaders.

A short background of the rulers and commanding officers is offered sometimes with accompanying images. This was a great addition to the well-presented information and the maps. The plot was accentuated by the profiles. The comparisons and segments analyzing the reasons behind the groups’ failure or success was also a great plus for me. NAPOLEON, CHARLES XII and HITLER, Challenge and Calamity in Russia by Adolf af Jochnick is an illuminating read that truly is a must-read for lovers of history. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

NAPOLEON, CHARLES XII and HITLER, Challenge and Calamity in Russia
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I like history books, especially when the authors provide enough context for the readers to immerse and imagine themselves in the very period. Thank you for your detailed review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This does sound quite interesting. I'd like to know if there were any similarities. However, I'm not a huge history fan nor a history buff. So, I'm unsure if I'd really be able to stay invested in this book. Still, it's worth considering. Thanks so much!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

What a unique concept for a book. I love history and would like to learn how Russia is so impregnable to attacks. My guess is the horrendous winters, but I guess I need to read to find out.
Plfern
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-plfern.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Plfern »

This book, NAPOLEON, CHARLES VII and HITLER, Challenge and Calamity in Russia by Adolph af Jochnick, is right up my alley. I thoroughly enjoy learning about men and the reasons for the wars in history. Your review, EmunahAn, has peaked my curiosity enough to have the want to read this book. Why men do the things they do is a question that will never be answered adequately as proven by the many disputes that brought about war. Thank you for your review of these notorious men of history. It sounds like it will be an easy book to read and understand.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Although history is interesting to many, I have a hard time keeping engaged. Blame my lust for the fantastic I suppose. I'm glad you've found enjoyment in it though!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I could learn a lot by reading this book! It would surely fill in some of the gaps in my knowledge of history. I'm so glad the author "goes to great lengths to present the information in an easily comprehensible manner." Thanks for the great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
OrlaCarty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orlacarty.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by OrlaCarty »

Too many historical books are written in complex ways that are difficult to decipher. It's great that this one was easily understood, thank you very much for letting us know.
Emjopin
Favorite Author: E.W. Johnson M.D.
Favorite Book: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Currently Reading: Lost Secret of the Ancient Ones
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emjopin.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
fav_author_id: 196577

Post by Emjopin »

EmunahAn's elaborate book review is commensurate to the well researched and picturesque information related by the author. It resounds the victory of Russia, of wit over prowess, of righteousness over dominant pride. It brings Hope for Peace through a Strong political Will rather than mere rhetoric.
Maina Kevin92
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Maina Kevin92 »

To say the least the review was well balanced and it sets you up for the thrill of history. It is written in such a way that excites your curiosity and encourages you to go above and beyond the review for me this should get a perfect score of 4,but this is because I love history and the quite potential the USSR had.
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

I thoroughly enjoyed this descriptive review. This book seems like a compelling read.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”