Official Review: Going to Wings by Sandra Worsham

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kastle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kastle.html
Latest Review: Going to Wings by Sandra Worsham

Official Review: Going to Wings by Sandra Worsham

Post by kastle »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Going to Wings" by Sandra Worsham.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sandra Worsham tells us her journey of sexuality in the memoir, Going To Wings. Sandra is her own narrator, slowly leading us through her life from her late 20's to the present. She highlights all the important people in her life as she consistently puts her faith in God, and the inner struggle with loving women. From her first lover to her current wife, you see the narrow views and ideals for how it was back in 1975 or and how "The word lesbian was equivalent to saying whore or murderer." All the strong women figures she looks up became an intricate part of her story, and how she felt about being gay.

There were so many parts of this book that evoked a lot of emotion. One of my favorite reasons I loved her story revolved around her faith. With the majority of her life being Catholic, this spoke to me in volumes as I grew up Catholic myself. It helped me relate to her much more, especially mentioning so many parts of the faith that may be unfamiliar to many other readers like communion, confession, or the Eucharist. It's also quite well known that Catholics believe that being a lesbian or gay isn't ok, that marriage is just meant for a man and women. Sandra touches on this subject well in her book, and I appreciated her openness and outlook on this. The theme of religion is such an integral and important part of her story. Her constant dilemma with God about how she should feel towards other women also brought me a deeper connection to this book and to the author.

Another huge part I loved about this book was the way she talked about her sexuality and desires. Sandra's descriptive dialogue about her surroundings, tastes, and touch kept me interested and invested in her story as she goes through each phase of her life. The way she views her sexuality changes as she matures, and it's such a fresh perspective. No matter if you are gay or straight, you feel all the emotion and struggle as she tries forcing herself to be "normal" for the longest time. The crossroads she faces, from attempting to tell her mom to leaving her loveless marriage to a man are things that many of us readers can sympathize with.

The incessant talking about the bible is something the author could have left out. There were quite a few long passages from the bible. Although some of it was relevant, most of it could have been taken out of her story. It took away from her storytelling, and how she was portraying herself. Plus this book is more than just religion, it's a journey of self-acceptance and being proud of who you are.

I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Incredibly well written, her story flowed well and it was easy to read for such a complex subject. Her writing gives all readers a strong bond to her, as well as the intense emotions that come out the deeper you read. I would recommend this book to adults or young teens over the age of 16 who struggle with their sexuality or just enjoy reading a well-written book.

Going to Wings
View: on Bookshelves

Like kastle's review? Post a comment saying so!
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for your incredible review. I particularly enjoy books discussing sensitive topics like this, and it is a comfort that it was well-addressed. I will have to pick this up soon!
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

Thanks for the review, it's good you enjoyed the book. I don't think it's for me, since I don't share the author's viewpoint, especially with her constant inclusion of the scriptures as a form of backup. It would be upsetting for me to read. The book would appeal more to those in similar situations or those more liberal in their stance regarding sexuality issues.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It does sound like this was well-written, but it's a topic that I'm not interested in. I also would be uncomfortable with the explicit nature of the book. Still, I'm glad that you enjoyed it. Thanks for the information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Thanks for the review which shows this is book that is about Sandra life and her likes in her life and her struggles to get it
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I think it would be interesting to read how she reconciled her faith with her sexuality.
Plfern
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-plfern.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Plfern »

Even though I enjoy reading nonfiction, this is one that I will probably bypass as the subject matter doesn't interest me. If I did read it, I would probably get upset at her viewpoint. Thank you, kastle, for a great-written review.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

kastle wrote: 19 May 2018, 22:34 It's also quite well known that Catholics believe that being a lesbian or gay isn't ok, that marriage is just meant for a man and women.
I am certain this needn't be typed but just in case there is a reader out there who needs to hear this; please know, not ALL Catholics disdain homosexuality.

The official stance of the church may still be anti-gay but that does not mean each of its followers adheres to each and every guideline. I would also like to note the suggestions of progressive thinking in Pope Francis where homosexuality is concerned. He has been quoted telling a gay man that "God made you this way."

I am a Catholic; born, raised, Catholic schools, international studies and religions major in college etc. etc.

I in no way shape or form begrudge, judge, or shame any sector of the LBGTQ community.

Umbrella statements are unfortunate generalizations.

Thank you for this lovely review.
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
kastle
Currently Reading:

Post by kastle »

Thank you so much! I'm so glad you loved the review!
kastle
Currently Reading:

Post by kastle »

NL Hartje wrote: 21 May 2018, 16:44
kastle wrote: 19 May 2018, 22:34 It's also quite well known that Catholics believe that being a lesbian or gay isn't ok, that marriage is just meant for a man and women.
I am certain this needn't be typed but just in case there is a reader out there who needs to hear this; please know, not ALL Catholics disdain homosexuality.

The official stance of the church may still be anti-gay but that does not mean each of its followers adheres to each and every guideline. I would also like to note the suggestions of progressive thinking in Pope Francis where homosexuality is concerned. He has been quoted telling a gay man that "God made you this way."

I am a Catholic; born, raised, Catholic schools, international studies and religions major in college etc. etc.

I in no way shape or form begrudge, judge, or shame any sector of the LBGTQ community.

Umbrella statements are unfortunate generalizations.

Thank you for this lovely review.
I completely agree, I am Catholic and I have no issues with homosexuality in any way. But it definitely is an umbrella statement, and one that people seem to think.
kastle
Currently Reading:

Post by kastle »

gen_g wrote: 20 May 2018, 23:11 Thank you for your incredible review. I particularly enjoy books discussing sensitive topics like this, and it is a comfort that it was well-addressed. I will have to pick this up soon!
Thank you so much! I'm so glad you loved the review!
Fuzzy456
Currently Reading: The Spirit of Want
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzzy456.html
Latest Review: My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor
Reading Device: B00N9ZVN90

Post by Fuzzy456 »

This was a great review. However I get too angry reading about the Catholic Church and how they tried to influence people in the past. I too was raised Catholic, taught by nuns but I have completely walked away from the church. Glad you enjoyed the book.
kastle
Currently Reading:

Post by kastle »

kandscreeley wrote: 21 May 2018, 07:37 It does sound like this was well-written, but it's a topic that I'm not interested in. I also would be uncomfortable with the explicit nature of the book. Still, I'm glad that you enjoyed it. Thanks for the information.
I understand. Some of these topics are very sensitive to cover. You are welcome!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”