Official Review: Beauty from Ashes by Cindy Seaton

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Official Review: Beauty from Ashes by Cindy Seaton

Post by Kristy Khem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Beauty from Ashes" by Cindy Seaton.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Beauty from Ashes: A Mother’s Journey from Bitterness to Hope is Cindy Seaton’s self-written life story. She generously shares her experiences from childhood, marriage, and motherhood. Cindy reveals the never-ending struggles she faced throughout these elements of her life and specifically describes her role as a parent to an autistic child. She also writes about her tumultuous relationship with God in the face of her challenges and how her faith grew exponentially when she ultimately recognized how truly blessed she is.

I enjoyed the style of writing in this book. It was very conversational and I felt like the author was talking to a friend or writing in a diary. I also liked the attention to detail in this book. The author exposed a significant amount of her life in this book and she not only wrote about the big events that shaped her life, but also the small, daily struggles and pleasures she experienced. For instance, she wrote about how she tried to dye her hair on her honeymoon, but because she didn’t read the instructions on the box of dye, it turned out awful. Another time she described her problems with acid reflux and included her symptoms, hospital adventures and even mentioned how badly the acid had damaged her teeth. The struggles of parenting her autistic son were also expressed in great detail. These short anecdotes made the story much more sincere.

I admired the ability of this author to describe herself realistically, especially when it came to her role as a mother. One time she described her guilty feelings when she irritably yanked open her baby’s sleeper so violently that she startled him to tears. She also wrote about spanking her autistic son and diagnosing her daughter with celiac disease by purposefully slipping gluten into her daughter’s food to observe her reaction. She was not afraid to describe these unsatisfactory things about herself. I think a lot of parents will find it easy to relate to Cindy because no parent is perfect.

There were a couple of things which I disliked about this book. Firstly, the events seemed muddled at times because they were not organized well. One example was where her daughter, Charity, started experiencing symptoms of celiac disease. She was still a student in Grade ten. Charity’s wedding preparations are described soon after. This was confusing because it seemed like a chunk of time was missing. Additionally, the story began with Cindy’s first pregnancy, but the story jumped to her childhood, then returned to the pregnancy after several chapters. The hopping and skipping of time interrupted the flow of the story.

Secondly, there were too many named characters, some of which were unnecessary. One example was Dawn’s twin boys Russ and Scott who were mentioned twice in the book, but they had no input in the story. In more than one instance, the author included a character’s husband and children for no reason. Furthermore, there were so many named characters that I noticed at least two persons named Dawn, Carole and Lisa respectively.

Unfortunately, I noticed more than ten errors in this book. On account of this, plus the excessive number of named characters and poor timing of events, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. Despite its shortcomings, I would recommend it to parents, Christian adults, and caregivers in the autistic community.

Beauty from Ashes
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like KristyKhem's review? Post a comment saying so!
Corhan2
Favorite Book: Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta #2)
Currently Reading: Land of Painted Caves
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corhan2.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Corhan2 »

Thank you for the review. Sounds like an interesting book, but I will give this one a miss because of the editorial problems.
Plfern
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-plfern.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Plfern »

KristyKhem, thank you for this informative book review. The way you described the book at first, I thought it would be a good read, since I enjoy reading biographies and nonfiction. Towards the end of your review, when you mentioned the confusion of the timing of events, too many character's named but not given attention to, and the many errors, I wasn't so sure. I may read this one eventually just because of the subject matter and try to overlook the mistakes within, since I have been forewarned. :wink2:
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Thanks for the nice and informative review. It is true that by writing this book and included many details about her life, Cindy did a good work. I also feel that the characters who do not play a significant role in the story should not have been included. The time lapses also seem big, especially for Charity's case. The events should have been rearranged to fit a certain logical flow.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Fuzzy456
Currently Reading: The Spirit of Want
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzzy456.html
Latest Review: My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor
Reading Device: B00N9ZVN90

Post by Fuzzy456 »

This is a nice thorough review. The subject seems interesting enough but I think I would get too irritated trying to follow all the characters and the poor timing of events. I will pass this book but thanks so much for such an informative review!
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

Plfern wrote: 21 May 2018, 18:09 KristyKhem, thank you for this informative book review. The way you described the book at first, I thought it would be a good read, since I enjoy reading biographies and nonfiction. Towards the end of your review, when you mentioned the confusion of the timing of events, too many character's named but not given attention to, and the many errors, I wasn't so sure. I may read this one eventually just because of the subject matter and try to overlook the mistakes within, since I have been forewarned. :wink2:
The subject matter was great and you might enjoy it since you like books such as these, once you are willing to delve deep past the errors.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I still feel interested in this book despite its shortcomings. The author is brave to share honestly about herself. I'm drawn to the message of finding beauty from ashes... the title probable came from Isaiah 61:3. Parenting, in general, is hard, but all the more when autism is involved. Thank you for the introduction to this book!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”