Official Review: A Patchwork of Pink by Bev Arnold

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Official Review: A Patchwork of Pink by Bev Arnold

Post by gen_g »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Patchwork of Pink" by Bev Arnold.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bev Arnold’s A Patchwork of Pink is a memoir about the time when her world was brought crashing down after being told that the two lumps in her left breast were malignant – she had only just realised her childhood dream of releasing her debut album at the age of sixty-nine just months ago. Arnold tells the story of her battle with breast cancer from diagnosis to treatment, and finally, to being in remission.

Arnold understandably falls into despair after that earth-shattering diagnosis, as her life had to be put on hold for the numerous doctors’ appointments and the seemingly never-ending rounds of chemotherapy, radiotherapy, as well as treatments for the resultant side effects. Even country music, which used to be such a joy for her, failed to pull her out of the dark pit she had fallen into. Eventually, it is Arnold’s boundless love and concern for the local Australian wildlife (who look upon her as one of their own due to her frequent provision of food and medical care pre-diagnosis) which kick-starts her emotional healing. I could certainly see her passion for them in the numerous anecdotes peppered throughout the novel, as she even gave names to the animals who visit her regularly.

In A Patchwork of Pink, Arnold is extremely detailed about even the smallest and most technical aspects of her condition, even taking the time to explain her thought process when making decisions about various treatments. This is an excellent reference for people who want to learn more about breast cancer, as well as for sufferers who would like to know more about the treatment process. However, this acts as a double-edged sword, as the medical jargon used would turn off casual readers. It would have been much better if a glossary was included at the back for easier reference.

Unfortunately, this also made the parts of the novel about her battle with breast cancer read somewhat like a medical case study, albeit one in the first-person narrative. For a book which has been marketed as her journey towards psychological wellbeing via her unabating love for and interaction with the local wildlife, I would have liked to have seen more of Arnold’s thoughts and emotions. Also, there is a lack of signposting in Arnold’s writing – she has a tendency to jump from anecdote to anecdote – making the story slightly confusing. I had to stop and double back multiple times when reading, which prevented me from immersing myself fully into her narrative.

Nonetheless, what I liked was Arnold’s ability to draw rich and vivid images in your mind with her writing. Despite the generous use of medical terminology, her descriptive ability amazes – I could easily picture the house she lives in, I could feel the fatigue she feels after chemotherapy, along with the joy she experiences when interacting with her wildlife visitors. However, this was done almost to the point of verbosity, which detracted slightly from the overall reading experience.

All in all, whilst I liked reading A Patchwork of Pink, I am rating it 2 out of 4 stars. I would give it 2.5 stars if I could but am unfortunately forced to round it down, as there were many grammatical and punctuation errors which should have been caught easily during proofreading. I would still recommend this book to readers who are looking for an honest and sincere story about a woman’s struggle to overcome one of the harshest periods in her life, but please be warned: it is definitely not for you if you are looking for a deeply immersive read!

A Patchwork of Pink
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like gen_g's review? Post a comment saying so!
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Despite the errors, I really like the sound of this one, and can think of one or two people who might appreciate it as a gift. Thanks for the review, which balanced critical analysis with sensitivity.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I agree, this is a great recommendation for a recently diagnosed individual. Especially if it has all the intricacies that us laymen are not familiar with.
Thanks for the sincere review.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
gen_g
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Libs_Books wrote: 19 May 2018, 13:17 Despite the errors, I really like the sound of this one, and can think of one or two people who might appreciate it as a gift. Thanks for the review, which balanced critical analysis with sensitivity.
Thank you for your kind comments!
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Bianka Walter wrote: 19 May 2018, 14:36 I agree, this is a great recommendation for a recently diagnosed individual. Especially if it has all the intricacies that us laymen are not familiar with.
Thanks for the sincere review.
Thank you for your kind reply; indeed, it discusses many intricacies about breast cancer that can’t be found easily online.
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

This is a book on a really sensitive topic, and I think you handled writing it really well. Thank you for your detailed critique and thoughtful treatment of the book :)
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Ginnamassa19 wrote: 20 May 2018, 05:19 This is a book on a really sensitive topic, and I think you handled writing it really well. Thank you for your detailed critique and thoughtful treatment of the book :)
Thank you for your kind comments! I hope you will enjoy it if you decide to pick this up.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

A story of battle with breast cancer from diagnosis to treatment, and finally, to being in remission is surely insightful. Though this is not my cup of tea, I will recommend this book to all who are suffering with breast cancer, and to all who are interested in this genre. Thanks for the detailed review.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Dolor wrote: 21 May 2018, 06:26 A story of battle with breast cancer from diagnosis to treatment, and finally, to being in remission is surely insightful. Though this is not my cup of tea, I will recommend this book to all who are suffering with breast cancer, and to all who are interested in this genre. Thanks for the detailed review.
Thank you for your kind comments!
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Great analysis of this book. Very good balance of the good versus the bad. I would not enjoy the technical aspect of this although I wouldn't mind learning about what she went through on a more broad level. I don't know much about cancer from diagnosis to treatment and its different stages but I don't need all the technical jargon that goes with the nitty gritty details. What would be really interesting is learning about breast cancer from a man's perspective. It is not nearly as common but it happens and I bet that is quite a shocking diagnosis for the men afflicted.
Last edited by kfwilson6 on 21 May 2018, 11:45, edited 1 time in total.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

kfwilson6 wrote: 21 May 2018, 11:23 Great analysis of this book. Very good balance of the good versus the bad. I would not enjoy the technical aspect of this although I wouldn't mind learning about what she went through on a more broad level. I don't know much about cancer from diagnosis to treatment and its different stages but I don't need although technical jargon that goes with the nitty gritty details. What would be really interesting is learning about breast cancer from a man's perspective. It is not nearly as common but it happens and I bet that is quite a shocking diagnosis for the men afflicted.
I do agree - the amount of literature on breast cancer in men is grossly inadequate. Perhaps there can be a book on it up for review soon. I know that I would definitely be interested in that - since I think that there is a misconception out there about men and breast cancer. Thank you for your kind comments!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Interesting and inspirational memoir, especially for this who are fighting with deadly cancer disease. Thanks for your comprehensive review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 21 May 2018, 11:59 Interesting and inspirational memoir, especially for this who are fighting with deadly cancer disease. Thanks for your comprehensive review.
Thank you for reading and leaving kind your comments! Yes, I hope that it would serve as an inspiration for sufferers or simply as a great resource for others.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

It’s amazing how many times animals are instrumental in helping a person rise from depression.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

teacherjh wrote: 21 May 2018, 12:19 It’s amazing how many times animals are instrumental in helping a person rise from depression.
I totally agree - it is obvious that animals are not to be estimated since they are extremely intelligent.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”