Official Review: A Patchwork of Pink by Bev Arnold

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Re: Official Review: A Patchwork of Pink by Bev Arnold

Post by gen_g »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 24 May 2018, 01:27
gen_g wrote: 24 May 2018, 01:17
Sahani Nimandra wrote: 24 May 2018, 00:55 Always a good book is brought down by grammatical errors, seriously the author needs to get good editors. But this type of book is not only worth to breast cancer patients but to all the women in general to beware of the existence of such a tedious issue. I like the descriptive detail in these type of books, very valuable information. Thank you for your descriptive review!
Thank you for the kind comments! I think a lot of books can be improved (at least the ones I have come across when reviewing) in order to reach their full potential with the help of an editor. Indeed, the book is extremely helpful for women as a whole, since breast cancer is not something to be underestimated.
Honestly yes it is becoming one of the most prominent disease in the world, we all have to be careful.
Indeed! (:
Corhan2
Favorite Book: Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta #2)
Currently Reading: Land of Painted Caves
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corhan2.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Corhan2 »

Thank you for this insightful review. We are sometimes so afraid to read about cancer and all the negatives that comes with it that it is actually quite interesting to find a book explaining the whole circle from diagnosis to being in remission in such detail. Such a pity about the grammatical errors!!
gen_g
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Corhan2 wrote: 24 May 2018, 08:57 Thank you for this insightful review. We are sometimes so afraid to read about cancer and all the negatives that comes with it that it is actually quite interesting to find a book explaining the whole circle from diagnosis to being in remission in such detail. Such a pity about the grammatical errors!!
Thank you for your kind comments! You do make a good point about the advantages of having a book with in-depth discussion of breast cancer, since it's not easy to find novels like this. Once it has been gone over again by an editor, it would be a better read!
mamalui
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mamalui »

She does sound like a real life hero. Thank you for this detailed review. Looking forward to reading this book.
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

mamalui wrote: 28 May 2018, 12:58 She does sound like a real life hero. Thank you for this detailed review. Looking forward to reading this book.
She is indeed. Thank you for taking the time to read and comment! I hope you enjoy this book.
alisonedgee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alisonedgee.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by alisonedgee »

hmm, good review, i don't think this book is for me personally, but might give it a go at some point
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

alisonedgee wrote: 29 May 2018, 04:16 hmm, good review, i don't think this book is for me personally, but might give it a go at some point
Thank you for taking the time to read and comment!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed your honest, thorough review. The concept of the book sounds really interesting and inspirational. It's a shame about the errors and confusing writing style.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

bookowlie wrote: 29 May 2018, 08:27 I enjoyed your honest, thorough review. The concept of the book sounds really interesting and inspirational. It's a shame about the errors and confusing writing style.
Thank you for the kind comments! It is a shame indeed, as the errors stopped the book from shining as it deserves to.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

My mom has breast cancer, so I understand the author when she says she had to put her life on hold. I appreciate your review!
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Momiji1987 wrote: 29 May 2018, 17:17 My mom has breast cancer, so I understand the author when she says she had to put her life on hold. I appreciate your review!
Thank you very much for your kind comments, and I hope everything will be fine!
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Since my grandmother's struggle to overcome her cancer, I have become more interested in reading these kinds of personal-journey-through-illness stories. I appreciate the heads-up about the wordiness and the poor editing, but I think I'll still give this one a read. Thanks for the great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

SamSim wrote: 30 May 2018, 15:26 Since my grandmother's struggle to overcome her cancer, I have become more interested in reading these kinds of personal-journey-through-illness stories. I appreciate the heads-up about the wordiness and the poor editing, but I think I'll still give this one a read. Thanks for the great review!
Thank you for the kind comments! I hope that you enjoy the book and that all is well. (:
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

It often seems that comprehensive, let alone accurate, information isn't that easy to find on the internet. This is where books can really fill a gap left by Google. I know (thankfully not first hand) that chemo- and radiotherapy are pretty horrendous if you have to go through them; I think they are trivialized by TV shows. Interestingly, connecting with nature is mentioned as one of the resilient qualities in that book on resilience that I reviewed!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 08:05 It often seems that comprehensive, let alone accurate, information isn't that easy to find on the internet. This is where books can really fill a gap left by Google. I know (thankfully not first hand) that chemo- and radiotherapy are pretty horrendous if you have to go through them; I think they are trivialized by TV shows. Interestingly, connecting with nature is mentioned as one of the resilient qualities in that book on resilience that I reviewed!
I absolutely agree that the effects of cancer have been trivialised by TV shows; I can’t even imagine how it would be like first-hand. In that sense, I am glad Arnold realised that connecting with nature is a great method to improve her mental state. Thank you for your kind comments!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”