Official Review: Kiss my baggage fees by Rick Brown

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bluecobia
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluecobia.html
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert

Official Review: Kiss my baggage fees by Rick Brown

Post by Bluecobia »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Kiss my baggage fees" by Rick Brown.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kiss My Baggage Fees by Rick Brown is a 230 page, nonfiction book giving information on how to save money on travel and how to get more out of your trips. Rick Brown travels for business and leisure and has been around the world numerous times. He considers himself to be a proud travel hacker, and he is willing to teach you to be one as well. His hacks are not the illegal or immoral type. He has just learned how to use the travel company's own rules and habits to get the best prices and upgrades. It is clear from his examples that he has saved thousands of dollars over the years using these techniques.

Rick has done a good job of breaking down the various ways of saving so you can skip the parts of the book that are not important to you and read the parts that are of most interest. I also like the fact that he has provided dozens and dozens of specific Web sites that you can go to search for the best deals. In addition, Rick shows how companies make you think you are doing a good job of shopping for the best deal and you are not really shopping at all. Like the fact that Expedia owns Orbitz, Travelocity, and about 20 other booking Web sites. This way you tend to look at several sites and get tricked into thinking all the prices are the same. With the information in this book you can see some real alternative sites to use for comparison.

One thing that I did not like about the book was the amount of time spent on international travel. I almost never travel internationally and few people I know travel internationally on a regular basis but, a large portion of the tricks and examples are for international travel. I understand that this is probably because Rick travels internationally on a regular basis and more money can be saved on these longer trips. If you are not planning international travel you can skip or just skim those chapters.

There were a few editorial errors in the book. Most were typos like saying weigh when the word should be weight or gargain instead of bargain. In another place 15% back on spending over $750 was repeated twice. These errors were minor and very few. They did not detract from the reading and understanding of this book.

I would recommend this book to anyone who is planning on doing a lot to traveling. Especially if you are planning international travel. Even if you travel infrequently you could easily save the price of the book on your first vacation or business trip. I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is easy to read and can be useful to save you both time and money. The author gives step by step instructions on how to find bargains and lists what websites he uses.

Kiss my baggage fees
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Bluecobia's review? Post a comment saying so!
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the comprehensive review! It sounds like a great book with tips for travellers!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Ricks sounds like a financial genius I would like to have as a friend. Thank you for your great review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'd be interested to see what he has to say. Sadly, though, I just don't travel by airplane that much. Too expensive for me even with the hacks. So, I just don't see buying and reading the book. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I didn't realize there was that much money that could be saved simply in travel expenses. I am curious about where savings could be found beyond flights and hotel rooms. I am not surprised about Expedia owning the other websites. Fortunately I don't travel often because working hard at getting good deals does not appeal to me ;)
iloveubaby9
Currently Reading: Trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by iloveubaby9 »

I liked the review! Sounds good
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I should have read this one before planning my summer trip.
Plfern
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-plfern.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Plfern »

Thank you for the review, Bluecobia. It was quite informative and well-written. This book sounds like it could be very useful for the traveler, however, I seldom go anywhere except by car, so this book wouldn't be helpful to me.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

Like the title. I am curious on how to save more money.I don't travel much international either, but this still might be worth reading. Thanks for the review.
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

As an avid traveler (and often international), I feel that I could benefit greatly from this style of book. I am always skeptical, however, to follow tips to the masses. If everyone is doing it, it seems to undermine the entire idea, does it not?
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Shodeindeadeyinka
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shodeindeadeyinka »

I love the book, its a book of interest knowing how money can be saved through traveling, I wish o could travel internationally so I can explore this tricks, this a great book hope to expect more of this.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

This sounds like a very practical book for those who travel frequently. I'm glad the author chose to share his knowledge. Thanks for the informative review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
emmkus
Currently Reading: The Life and Times of a Black Prince in America (book one)
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by emmkus »

Interesting review!!! am impressed to see a book that really talk about traveling. Awesome
Nimat87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimat87.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Nimat87 »

I'll love to read the book. Maybe it'll help me achieve my dream of travelling around the world. Thanks for the interesting review.
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. '
-Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926).
:eusa-think: :clap: :escribir:
Bluecobia
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluecobia.html

Post by Bluecobia »

There is a section on how to save money on an around the world trip.
Good luck and have fun.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”