Official Review: Sugar Hill Inn Art of Innkeeping

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Official Review: Sugar Hill Inn Art of Innkeeping

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sugar Hill Inn Art of Innkeeping" by Steven Allen.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sugar Hill Inn: The Art of Innkeeping by Steven Allen was surprisingly enjoyable. I thought it would be more of a how-to guide but it turned out to be more of an inspiration.

The book is non-fiction. It’s about an inn in New Hampshire owned by the author. He purchased the inn after his daughter went away to college. He was looking to change his life and learn new things. He knew he wanted an inn, and started looking at different properties. He tells you about several of these properties and why they weren’t good fits. I liked seeing this decision-making process. It told me that he didn’t just happen on this place, and that he put in considerable thought before purchasing. The book is divided into sections, which are then divided into chapters. Each chapter discusses a different aspect of the business and life because of it. Each chapter can stand on its own. One can open the book to any chapter and read it without missing any information. Let’s say you want to read the section about the restaurant. You can just skip to Section Three: The Restaurant and learn all about how he created a one-of-a-kind fine-dining experience without having to read any of the previous information about why he chose to purchase that particular building. This also lead to a lot of repeating, though. Chapter five starts with a whole paragraph surmising exactly what we have read from chapters one through four. At first, I was annoyed to have to reread this information, but then I realized this made the book easy to pick up and put down. Readers don’t have to be interested in everything to understand individual aspects.

This book also talks about how the author met his current wife. She took a job at the inn and, at first, they had a very professional relationship. Shared interests and romantic settings eventually lead them down the path of love. I really like that there isn’t a section in this book that doesn’t reference his wife, Karen. She’s such a major part of his life and you can tell how much he loves her. It was a sweet addition to this book.

This book made me see the hidden side of owning an inn. Everything is hands-on for him. He might step back and let a professional deal with certain things, like building, decorating, and bookkeeping, but he makes sure to be involved in all decision-making. I enjoyed how passionate he got about art and wine. I’ve never given much thought to the difference between a small inn and a brand name hotel. They’re both places to sleep on vacation, but your experiences will be completely different. Now, I desperately want to stay at the Sugar Hill Inn.

There were several mistakes in the editing of this book, most of these could have been avoided with a quick proofreading. Several words were misspelled. There were missing and extra words, and a few cases of bad punctuation. It wasn’t terribly disturbing but it did make me have to stop and reread sections, ruining the continuity. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. This book would have gotten a perfect score had it not been for the editing issues. I recommend this book to anyone interested in an easy read, even if you don’t want to read the whole book. I’d also recommend this book to anyone interested in owning their own business, even if that business has nothing to do with hospitality. The author’s attention to detail, foresight, and optimism will inspire you.

Sugar Hill Inn Art of Innkeeping
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like bb587's review? Post a comment saying so!
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I would like to stay at this inn too. The author seems really passionate and he must really love his wife. It is nice to be able to pick the book and simply understand every chapter, but I think it will frustrate me too if I read it all and I found all this repeats. Great review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

All in all, this sounds like a unique book that's worth a look. I've always wanted to open my own bed and breakfast or something of the sort. It's too bad about the errors, but it sounds like it's easily fixable. Thanks so much!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This book seems worth checking out! It would be great to stay at his inn, like Laura has mentioned, as it is obvious that the author has much enthusiasm and passion about his work. Thank you for the beautiful review!
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

The topic seems like underwhelming material for a book, but it sounds like it has some hidden gems of information. Its nice that he hasn't forgotten to include his lovely wife! Hopefully the book will get a bit of editing been help.Thanks for a great review!
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Generally, non-fiction and biographically referenced books aren't my cup of tea. Something about what you've described here though pulls me in. I think I would actually like following this owner's path. Thanks for this review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

This sounds like a pretty relaxing but informative book. Something anyone could pick up on a lazy Sunday afternoon that serves a purpose without making you think too hard and also having an enjoyable element. I think this is the type of book I would read one chapter at a time rather than reading multiple chapters in one sitting. I have a horrible memory so the repetition probably wouldn't bother me if I read it in that fashion. Nice review.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Thank you for review on nice informative non fiction book on authors experience of starting an inn and things he learn t form going into that bussiness
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”