Official Review: Mended Yet Broken by Michaelia Daubon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oceanside
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oceanside.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Re: Official Review: Mended Yet Broken by Michaelia Daubon

Post by Oceanside »

Great Review! I'm glad that you recognize that certain Christian phrases can be confusing and misleading to others. This is something that someone who is considering reading the book would definitely want to know.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

What an interesting take on healing from abuse. It is good that this is being discussed, and it will probably be quite good for the Pentecostal Christian, as you suggested. You are absolutely correct that the terms you mentioned are completely foreign to someone unfamiliar with those beliefs. It is almost too bad that it isn’t explained a bit more, as it sounds like this could have had a farther reach otherwise.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for your thoughtful and insightful review. It is a pity that the author chose to only give generalisations about dealing with thorny issues such as abuse.
Jackson Roby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Jackson Roby »

There are no words enough to describe such a book because there are many people who shut off their feelings and end up getting hurt the author have stressed the importance of inner healing.
This book is great an important practical approach to finding the healing practical approach of the broken hearted.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

NadineTimes10 wrote: 15 May 2018, 09:48 She describes what forgiveness is for but also what it is not for, which is essential knowledge for victims of abuse.
This seems like a very valuable iteration for many abused today. Knowing when to not apologize is empowering and powerful.
what does it mean for the “fire of God” to “consume” people? Is it a punishment or a blessing? What does it mean for “the enemy” to use a “foothold” against someone? What is an “alabaster box of worship”? For a lot of people, not all biblical and spiritual expressions are well-known, everyday phrases.
This, however, is disappointing to the broad public (as you've suggested). There is a very narrow margin of people who will relate to these idioms. Thank you for being so truthful and expository with your review.
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks for a great review as always! I like that the author helps others by sharing her perspective based on her own experiences with abuse. The subject matter is a bit disturbing for my taste, but I am sure abuse survivors will find this book helpful and inspiring.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3844">John Nielson Had a Daughter</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadinetimes10.html
Latest Review: Joletta’s Dreams by Karen Craker Forester

Post by NadineTimes10 »

bookowlie wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 08:37 Thanks for a great review as always! I like that the author helps others by sharing her perspective based on her own experiences with abuse. The subject matter is a bit disturbing for my taste, but I am sure abuse survivors will find this book helpful and inspiring.
Thanks, Owlie! And I understand. I usually pass on books that sound disturbing for me, or I have to have a bit of a happy or "comfort" reading break or binge afterwards. I've got comfy books on my docket now. :D

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”