Official Review: The Company She Keeps by Georgia Durante

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Official Review: The Company She Keeps by Georgia Durante

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Company She Keeps" by Georgia Durante.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“In a way, I was born famous. I inherited my mother’s beauty along with her undeserved reputation. And like my mother and her sisters, I too never felt quite good enough. I never really understood why that was, but I vividly remember feeling that way as a child.”
-The Company She Keeps

The Company She Keeps by Georgia Durante is a powerful and raw work of fiction that delineates psychological trauma caused by abuse. The book resonates with women who have been in abusive relationships, as well as young adults and adults who are intrigued by such intense works. It is essentially about a woman who came from a place where “the world of modelling and the world of The Mob both opened their doors for her”.

Georgia Durante had married mobster Joe Lamendola, which plunged her into the mob world of unspeakable violence and brutality, from which she barely escaped. The story is a deeply personal account of her infected relationship with her husband as well as with the mob world.

One of the best things about this book was the title. It is simple and just the right length. It doesn’t point an accusing finger to a specific demographic but is rather subtle and nuanced. Even the cover of the book leaves something lingering, something suggestive of more. Both the title as well as the cover left me impressed as well as intrigued.

Even the plot of the book was excellent. There was such fluidity in the narrative that I’m quite sure I finished reading this book in less than an hour. There was absolute coherence in the narrative and everything connective well with everything else. There were no unnecessary fragmentations or “splits”.

The story was an absolute delight to read, and the romance of the writer’s language was singular in its existence. I was stunned by its unique nature alone. The consistency with which the author has created this narrative makes the reader want to dive into this book again and again. The only thing that I felt could’ve been better was the grammar. While there were no outright errors, some sentences were sloppily constructed, and though they translated meaning nonetheless, the reader found herself lost by that point.

For this reason alone, I take off a point. I will thus give this book 3 out of 4 stars. This is the perfect read for young adults and adults, and especially women within this age bracket.

The Company She Keeps
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like 420waystoreachthesun's review? Post a comment saying so!
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Interesting. I have never read a book quite like this one is described. Your mention of the excellent plot "and the romance of the writer's language" makes me want to check this one out. Thanks for the great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

It would be interesting to see the dark side of modeling and the inner workings of the Mob. I might try this one.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

Like you said, the artwork and the title are eye catching. Sounds like a book that isn’t a “light” hearted read, but so well done that it breezes along and holds the reader’s interest. Too bad about the sentence structures and such. Maybe a little editing will give it the touch to make it even better.
Everything happens for a reason...
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Sad to see grammar error, otherwise found the plot like a real life like story. Wherein if anyone get associated with members of underworld, their life cannot be peaceful
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Sounds like an interesting book, and one to be devoured in a single sitting. I may check this one out - thanks for the recommendation.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for your insightful review - I am definitely intrigued by this book. It seems like a powerful story and one which is extremely intriguing.
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

Thank you everyone!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”