Official Review: Paint Your Hair Blue by Sue Matthews

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Official Review: Paint Your Hair Blue by Sue Matthews

Post by jvez »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Paint Your Hair Blue" by Sue Matthews.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

‘Titanic’ was one of my favorite movies back in the days. I fell in love with the movie and its theme song. But after having to listen to the same song everywhere I go, on endless repeat, I began hating the Celine Dion hit. However, after reading Paint Your Hair Blue, I now have a newfound love for and a different meaning I can associate with the song 'My Heart Will Go On.'

Paint Your Hair Blue is a memoir written by Sue Matthews with the help of her younger sister Andrea Cohane. The book recounts the struggles of the Matthews family when Sue’s second child, Taylor, was diagnosed with cancer. Taylor was only eleven then and never showed any signs of sickness prior to her diagnosis. During a family trip to London, Taylor asked her parents if she could dye her hair. Sue gave her daughter a dismissive ‘Absolutely not’ in response. Unbeknownst to Sue, months after that trip, her daughter would be battling cancer and would eventually lose her hair. Sue then wished they had died Taylor’s hair blue, Taylor’s favorite color.

The book discusses the Matthews’ entire journey, from Taylor’s initial diagnosis until her death five years after. This memoir was written by Sue Matthews in memory of her dear daughter and also as a means to promote their family’s advocacy. A percentage of the profit made from the sales of this book will be donated to the Taylor Matthews Foundation, a foundation that helps in raising awareness and funding studies on pediatric cancer. Paint Your Heart Blue is not for the lighthearted. There will definitely be a lot of tear-jerking moments, and if you can’t handle these, I suggest you avoid reading the book.

However, please note that the book does not only focus on the struggles and the difficult times. The book also highlights the triumphs of Taylor and her family. The Matthews braved through all the challenges together. Taylor also proved to be one amazing young lady, achieving the impossible over and over, and even shocking her doctors. As the author mentioned in the Introduction of the book, Taylor may have died; nonetheless, Taylor led a successful journey. Despite her condition, Taylor lived her life to the fullest and showed love to a lot of people. There are no other better words to describe Taylor than this line written by her own mother:
We don’t measure Taylor’s life in sunrises; we measure her life in love.
The book was professionally edited; thus, there’s really nothing negative I can comment regarding the writing. However, I did find the picture of Taylor’s open letter a bit difficult to read. Perhaps the author could replace the picture with one with a higher resolution, or maybe encode the letter like she did with Taylor’s other letter and poems. The author also explained a lot of medical procedures, and at the end, she even provided tips to anyone who requires medical assistance—not just cancer patients. I do commend this effort to help her readers. I am just not sure about the author mentioning the names of doctors in the narrative—full names at that—including those doctors they had issues with during Taylor’s medication. I am fine with the doctors being named, but I fear other readers may find this off-putting.

Though I have some concerns—very negligible concerns, I must stress—I give Paint Your Hair Blue 4 out of 4 stars. I admire the author’s bravery in retelling the heartbreaking moments as she witnessed her daughter suffer from cancer. But more than this, I admire the author for finding the strength to move forward after a tragic loss. I recommend this book to anyone who wants to know more about pediatric cancer. As much as it is heartrending, Paint Your Hair Blue is also very inspirational, and any person could use a dose of inspiration any time.

Paint Your Hair Blue
View: on Bookshelves

Like jvez's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Kemunto lucy »

This book is deep. A perfect illustration of family unity and a story of hope. From your review I bet this is a must read kind of book. Thank you for the nice review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! This sounds like a very powerful book. I'm curious to see how the theme of Titanic took on new meaning in this book. In addition, it sounds like a reminder to live every day as if it's your last. Thanks so much.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I love what the family is trying to do through this book - not just tell the story, which it sounds like they do well, but benefit people facing similar crises. I was moved just reading about this book and I appreciate your comprehensive review, but I don't think I can read this. I think it would be too "heartrending" for me. Maybe later in life, when my small children are adults, I'll revisit this one.
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I admire people who fight through trials with such passion and positive attitude. This sounds like a good read.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I don’t know if I could even get through the book because I was nearly in tears just from the words of your review. What a great tribute to the author and her daughter. Also, the book may bring healing to another family as well. Thank you for this insightful and touching review.
Everything happens for a reason...
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

This story of attempt to fight against death due to cancer by showing love and empathy towards the suffering seems to be encouraging for those who face similar circumstances. Sounds very nice book indeed
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

How nice to see someone laud the importance of seizing each day, or living each to its fullest, or any other cliche about a fulfilled life. We all know and hear these idioms but seldom take the time to act on the suggestions. Thanks for this great review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Tragedy and crisis can pull a family together - or destroy them. This sounds like a family coming together and offering what they learned to others. Very inspirational. Great review.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Losing a loved one to cancer is such a sobering experience. Helping others to prevent and deal with cancer is the way to go. This kind gesture will provide healing and resolve to the family of The family of Taylor. Thank you for your excellent review.
Nimat87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimat87.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Nimat87 »

Reading the part where you mentioned Taylor's death really made me sad. Losing a loved one can be hard. I'm happy they were able to move on as a family and are also trying to help others in a similar situation. Thanks for the touching review.
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. '
-Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926).
:eusa-think: :clap: :escribir:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”