Official Review: The Locked Self and Other Stories

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Camille Turner
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 126
Currently Reading: Sophie's World
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Seven at Two Past Five by Tara Basi

Official Review: The Locked Self and Other Stories

Post by Camille Turner » 08 May 2018, 15:40

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Locked Self and Other Stories" by Silvano Bistazzoni.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Locked Self and Other Stories by Silvano Bistazzoni contains one larger story that takes up most of the book and three smaller, independent ones. The main story, “The Locked Self,” follows nine-year-old Jo’s therapy sessions with the narrator. Jo comes from a difficult family situation that includes some of the hardships one normally thinks of when considering a troubled childhood: neglect, abuse, alcoholism, lack of parental guidance and instability. The narrator is tasked with connecting with Jo and helping to bring about positive behavior and self-discovery. Both “The Locked Self” and the other three stories are certainly emotional ones, as you might imagine, so readers should be prepared to deal with extremely difficult situations and some disturbing graphic details.

I enjoyed reading about Jo and the narrator’s relationship as their rapport changes many times while they get to know each other and outside forces impact their visits. The other stories include “The Round Trip Home,” “All Systems Go,” and “Island, A Family.” Respectively, they follow the stories of the effects on others after attending a marriage by the sea, a woman suffering from a difficult marriage and a community of islanders whose lives will be interrupted by a horrific tragedy. The book certainly doesn’t shy away from confronting readers with the realities people face every day and I respected each of the stories for the truth, however harsh it may be, of the characters’ struggle to find themselves and cope with tragedy.

Unfortunately, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars because of the significant amount of grammatical errors present and the overall lack of structure which both make it difficult to focus solely on the stories. Normally, errors aren’t something in which to get caught up, but the mistakes were on just about every page and were of a distracting nature, such as missing words in sentences like “I get frustrated and sometimes angry with because they are like robots and you cannot argue with their robotic attitude” (pg 64) and “The assistant who answered didn’t know about Jo and his” (pg 60), with the latter containing a period after “his.” Other times, the mistakes were more subtle—missing articles, incorrect dialogue punctuation, sentence fragments—but still distracting because of their frequency.

If I were permitted to give ratings with decimals, I would give the book 2.5 stars because I did appreciate the messages it conveys about self-discovery and tragedy. However, I decided on 2 stars, rather than bumping it up to 3, because there seemed to lack some cohesiveness to the book’s organization. While I can see how all the stories would belong in the same collection, as they all deal with difficult issues and do share certain imagery such as the sea, I felt the layout was a bit disorganized. For example, rather than simply dividing the book into stories, it was divided into chapters, with the chapter numbers continuing numerically but under a different title when a new story began. This had me wondering at first if the other stories were somehow supposed to be a part of the main one. I eventually understood that they were separate after reading them, but found the uncertainty at the beginning to interrupt the reading process.

On a positive note, the first story about Jo and his therapist is often interrupted by the narrator’s flashbacks and imaginings—at least I took them for imaginings rather than actual scenarios—of what was happening at Jo’s home. I really like that these scenes were a part of the book because I can see how therapists would certainly reflect on their own childhoods as a result of working with children. At times, I did find the scenes a bit abruptly placed but all in all, I enjoyed having several different scenes and ideas woven together. I would recommend reading the story if the topic interests you—Bistazzoni is certainly an expert when it comes to counseling and psychotherapy—provided you can look past the errors and focus solely on the meaningful stories told within the book.

The Locked Self and Other Stories
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Camille Turner's review? Post a comment saying so!

SamSim
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samsim.html
Latest Review: Zertone by Amanda K. Rivers
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by SamSim » 06 Jun 2018, 09:16

Books that don't shy away from difficult subjects can be powerful tools, but the lack of polished organization and editing really hurts this book's impact, unfortunately. Thanks for the thorough review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 69
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Violent Leadership by Wesley Middleton

Post by kandscreeley » 06 Jun 2018, 10:00

This does sound like a book with much potential. It's too bad about the grammatical errors, but hopefully the book can undergo some more editing. I believe that there's many people that would benefit from reading this one. Thanks.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Helen_Combe
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 148
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: power corrupts by nigel ruddin
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe » 06 Jun 2018, 10:13

Thanks for the review. Such a shame that the lack of editing had such a detrimental effect on this book.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.

SABRADLEY
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabradley.html
Latest Review: Just Out of Curiosity by John D. King

Post by SABRADLEY » 06 Jun 2018, 11:35

Thanks for your review! I agree with your thoughts on the disorganization and lack of cohesion. The stories were thrown together in such a peculiar manner that it felt like it was an effort to get to "book length" as opposed to being a thoughtful collection. Great review :)

Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner » 06 Jun 2018, 13:26

SamSim wrote: ↑
06 Jun 2018, 09:16
Books that don't shy away from difficult subjects can be powerful tools, but the lack of polished organization and editing really hurts this book's impact, unfortunately. Thanks for the thorough review!
I agree! Thanks for commenting. :)

Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner » 06 Jun 2018, 13:26

kandscreeley wrote: ↑
06 Jun 2018, 10:00
This does sound like a book with much potential. It's too bad about the grammatical errors, but hopefully the book can undergo some more editing. I believe that there's many people that would benefit from reading this one. Thanks.
Yes, hopefully. I agree! Thanks for commenting. :)

Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner » 06 Jun 2018, 13:28

Helen_Combe wrote: ↑
06 Jun 2018, 10:13
Thanks for the review. Such a shame that the lack of editing had such a detrimental effect on this book.
Yes, it was really too bad because it would have otherwise been a much more enjoyable read. Thank you for commenting!

Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner » 06 Jun 2018, 13:32

SABRADLEY wrote: ↑
06 Jun 2018, 11:35
Thanks for your review! I agree with your thoughts on the disorganization and lack of cohesion. The stories were thrown together in such a peculiar manner that it felt like it was an effort to get to "book length" as opposed to being a thoughtful collection. Great review :)
Yes! I went and read your review just now and completely agree. It seems we had the same observations. Thank you for commenting! I enjoyed your review as well. :)

kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 84
Currently Reading: The Dragon Reborn (Wheel of Time, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 278
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: Lux University by J.Y. Olmos
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 » 06 Jun 2018, 15:04

Abuse and neglect in the home is a harsh truth I don't care to read about. Especially when the book is only getting 2 stars from multiple reviewers. I think the author needs more focus. Very weird about the chapter numbers. Did no one edit this book? That's the first thing I would have pointed out to the author. Great review.

Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner » 06 Jun 2018, 15:39

kfwilson6 wrote: ↑
06 Jun 2018, 15:04
Abuse and neglect in the home is a harsh truth I don't care to read about. Especially when the book is only getting 2 stars from multiple reviewers. I think the author needs more focus. Very weird about the chapter numbers. Did no one edit this book? That's the first thing I would have pointed out to the author. Great review.
It was quite emotional, that's for sure. Yes, I agree in that I think it needs some professional editing. Thanks for reading my review and leaving a comment!

JJNP
2018 Reading Goal: 250
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjnp.html
Latest Review: The Seduction of Religion by Paul Singh
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by JJNP » 07 Jun 2018, 10:02

This looks like an interesting book, thanks for the review which points out the errors and lack of cohesion. In some ways, with the narrator's imaginings, it sounds like some of Shane Dunphy's work. I might find it interesting despite the problems, because of my own story and because I find stories of other people's struggles inspiring.

Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner » 07 Jun 2018, 19:08

JJNP wrote: ↑
07 Jun 2018, 10:02
This looks like an interesting book, thanks for the review which points out the errors and lack of cohesion. In some ways, with the narrator's imaginings, it sounds like some of Shane Dunphy's work. I might find it interesting despite the problems, because of my own story and because I find stories of other people's struggles inspiring.
You should try it out then if you think you'd enjoy it despite the issues. I haven't read any of Dunphy's work but I'm going to take a look at it now that you mention it. Thanks for a thoughtful comment! :)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”