Official Review: Each Day A Portion by Nancy Nystrom

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Official Review: Each Day A Portion by Nancy Nystrom

Post by Poppy Drear »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Each Day A Portion" by Nancy Nystrom.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Each Day A Portion by Nancy Nystrom is a memoir that doesn't just focus on Nancy's life itself. It also details the lives that she changed through her philanthropic work in Mexico, in addition to those that impacted her spiritually and emotionally to make this possible. The first half of the book is dedicated to her family history and life before founding Casa Hogar Los Angelitos, a children's home benefiting orphans and children from abusive families, and the second half details her experiences founding Casa Hogar and working with the children she took in.

From a narrative standpoint, this book is excellent. The events detailed are laid out in chronological order, with reference to biblical verses that inspired the author. It doesn't fall into the trap that so many memoirs do, with winding, stream-of-consciousness descriptions. Instead, it chronicles how Nancy came to help children in Mexico thoroughly and logically. The biblical verses aren't thrown in randomly; they are generally either self-explanatory or explained within the text itself.

While I'm generally not drawn to books with religious themes, I chose to make an exception for this one, and I'm very glad that I did. It was inspiring to see the impact of religion on Nancy's journey and how her faith in God made her work possible, despite a myriad of adversities and challenges she had to overcome. These challenges, ranging from the death of her son to rumors and distrust surrounding Casa Hogar, opened my eyes to the unique difficulties faced by those attempting to help disadvantaged children in Mexico. Nancy acknowledges her past shortcomings, as well as how she overcame them through faith, in a way that felt intimately personal. At the end of the day, Each Day A Portion is about overcoming one's past and accomplishing things that most people would dismiss as impossible.

For obvious reasons, this book would not be suitable for people who are averse to religious themes. Several seemingly "impossible" events are described that led Nancy to her calling, and I can see why readers who don't believe in the metaphysical might be put off by this. There are also strong themes of grief and abuse, both in Nancy's past and with regards to the children she saves; the author makes the argument that it is this similarity that made her uniquely suited to her work, and, indeed, the parallels are undeniable.

I find Each Day A Portion to be a remarkable and inspiring memoir. Its organizational structure and editing are superb, allowing the incredible work that Nancy carried out to shine through. I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars, and while potential readers should be aware of the dark topics it addresses, anyone interested in learning about philanthropy or understanding the author's journey in working with Mexican children should certainly read this book. I believe it would also be extremely helpful for people who are struggling with overcoming past trauma or failure, regardless of their religious background.

Each Day A Portion
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ViziVoir's review? Post a comment saying so!
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Very interesting, I want to check this book out. Thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm so glad that Nancy was able to make such a difference. It sounds very inspiring and might help those struggling with their faith in God. Thanks so much for the great information. I'm glad you were able to enjoy this despite not normally reading tales with religion involved.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gztibs
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gztibs.html
Latest Review: Toxic Side Effect by Sandy Magner

Post by gztibs »

The link to the bible verses in the book is indeed an attraction to me. I will find time to read this book.
Sharon serena
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-serena.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sharon serena »

The book is definitely a good read. Religious or not, we all are driven by purpose in life. Nancy finds it in her service for the homeless and there is nothing beautiful as this. Am inspired by her commitment despite all the challenges there are in her life. This book sounds interesting. Thanks for the detailed review. Good work.
Mikky88
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mikky88 »

Inspiring and educative. Full of encouragement and reasons to rely on your faith and never give up. Don't think it is finish when it just started
haleygerstenberg
Currently Reading: Amusing ourselves to death
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haleygerstenberg.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by haleygerstenberg »

It's great that Nancy was able to channel her past into helping others she can empathize with. Thank you for your review
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

The descriptions of the philanthropic work done are what set this book apart for me. So often feel-good, or inspirational stories recount what has happened to them or what others have done to affect one's life. Hearing that this book details the acts of the character is refreshing and truly inspirational.

Thank you for this review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

It is very good when someone can look within him/herself and recognize shortcomings, just like Nancy. Having a daily walk with God will provide the assistance one needs to overcome these shortcomings. Love your review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”