Official Review: Above All Else by Dan Brodsky-Chenfeld

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Official Review: Above All Else by Dan Brodsky-Chenfeld

Post by revna01 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Above All Else" by Dan Brodsky-Chenfeld.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Do I believe it’s possible to succeed? Do I want it badly enough to do what it’s going to take to make it happen?” These are the questions that determine which dreams take flight and which dreams never see the light of day, according to Dan Brodsky-Chenfeld in his book, Above All Else. This book is an autobiographical account of Dan's ascent into skydiving prominence and his determination to achieve his goals, despite the incredible odds against him.

The book is broken into two distinctive parts. The first part details Dan's early life and his perseverance in achieving his dream of winning a world championship in 4-way formation skydiving. Once Dan sets his mind to the sport, he pursues it with everything he has; not even a catastrophic turn of events can derail his passion. Dan's first person account comprises the majority of the book, giving the reader an opportunity to become well acquainted with him. The second part of the book is significantly shorter and highlights the skills Dan uses to overcome obstacles. He outlines the necessary tools to accomplish any goal, and addresses a multitude of issues, including: how to work with a team, how to set goals, how to build self-confidence by trusting (and training) one’s instincts, and the importance of visualization.

Let me start by saying this book has clearly undergone professional editing. I observed only a handful of minor errors, some of which could be considered subjective in nature. The style of Dan’s writing is casual and conversational, like hearing stories from a personal friend. Whether intentional or not, I found that the writing style served as a continual reminder that Dan was more or less an average Joe with a dream, no different than anyone else. The second part of the book was where my interest piqued, as I was able to tie in all of the lessons from the autobiography and see how they could be applied to any circumstance involving a goal. I was often incredulous of Dan's dedication and sheer determination, noting the changes in his mentality as he gained confidence in his abilities. I can wholeheartedly say that Dan’s resilience in the face of tremendous loss and setbacks is second to none.

So, with all the motivational books available, what sets this one apart? Well, nothing really. While it chronicles one man's incredible devotion to the pursuit of his dreams, I did not find this book to be an especially powerful motivator. There was an anticlimactic feel to the narrative and I couldn’t help but feel like something truly inspiring was missing. Furthermore, I never felt a substantial connection to Dan or his story, which made it difficult to fully engage in the events of his life.

In the right hands, this book would be the epitome of motivational and inspiring; the “right hands” being someone whose dream pertains to sports or perhaps someone battling physical limitations. That’s not to say only these individuals can benefit from reading this book, but they are likely to find it more interesting and applicable. I believe the proper rating for this book would be 3.5 stars, but feel a 4 out of 4 stars rating is justified.

Above All Else
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like revna01's review? Post a comment saying so!
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

Thanks for the review! I don't think that this book is for me, but I'm glad that it was a good one!
Litzy reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-litzy-reader.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Litzy reader »

Thanks for your awesome and detailed review. Though I am not so much into motivational books.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. I find motivational books are all pretty similar. At least this one has an unusual sport as its basis.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

It's a pity you never felt a real connection to him - I think for a motivational book, that would have been first prize. But obviously, it was just as enjoyable without :)
Thanks for the great review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I am interested to see more about his skydiving career, but I'm not sure this book would be extremely motivational for me. Nevertheless, I appreciated your information. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
revna01
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

AbbyGNelson wrote: 07 May 2018, 16:32 Thanks for the review! I don't think that this book is for me, but I'm glad that it was a good one!
Thank you for stopping by :)
revna01

Post by revna01 »

Litzy reader wrote: 07 May 2018, 21:44 Thanks for your awesome and detailed review. Though I am not so much into motivational books.
Thanks so much :)
revna01

Post by revna01 »

Helen_Combe wrote: 08 May 2018, 00:32 Great review. I find motivational books are all pretty similar. At least this one has an unusual sport as its basis.
I have found the same! Thank you :)
revna01

Post by revna01 »

Bianka Walter wrote: 08 May 2018, 02:52 It's a pity you never felt a real connection to him - I think for a motivational book, that would have been first prize. But obviously, it was just as enjoyable without :)
Thanks for the great review!
Thanks so much for your thoughts :)
revna01

Post by revna01 »

kandscreeley wrote: 08 May 2018, 11:56 I am interested to see more about his skydiving career, but I'm not sure this book would be extremely motivational for me. Nevertheless, I appreciated your information. Thanks.
Thank you for your comment!
haleygerstenberg
Currently Reading: Amusing ourselves to death
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haleygerstenberg.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by haleygerstenberg »

Thanks for your review :) I'm not really a sporty person myself, so I doubt it applies, but I'm sure it will be helpful to its correct audience.
revna01

Post by revna01 »

haleygerstenberg wrote: 15 May 2018, 11:16 Thanks for your review :) I'm not really a sporty person myself, so I doubt it applies, but I'm sure it will be helpful to its correct audience.
My thoughts exactly. Thanks for stopping by, Haley!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”