Official Review: Dad@Home: Fully Domesticated

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: Dad@Home: Fully Domesticated

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dad@Home: Fully Domesticated" by Gregory J. Tysowski.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Being a stay-at-home dad seems like a daunting task to many dads. According to a Pew Research Center analysis of 2014 U.S. Census Bureau data, 16% of American households have a father staying home to take care of children and household duties. But almost a quarter of them are doing it only because they cannot find a job. These statistics quoted in the book, Dad@Home: Fully Domesticated by Gregory J. Tysowski, were eye-opening and grew my curiosity in trying to understand why Tysowski made the major decision to be a stay-at-home dad and let his wife be the bread-winner, even though he had a successful career.

From soup to nuts, Gregory J. Tysowski covers the whole experience of being a stay-at-home dad, the highs, the lows and everything in between. This I think is the most outstanding thing about the book, Dad@Home: Fully Domesticated. Tysowski does not glamorize the whole experience but writes in a down to earth style that allowed me to have a glance at his life. In the book, he captures substantially the perception of people and the society at large towards stay-at-home dads and how he responds to it.

In many instances, he includes his experiences and sometimes those of others. Some are funny; others enlightening while others are down-right heart-warming. At one point, Gregory J. Tysowski recounts an instance where an elderly lady asked him whether he was filling in for mommy and he replied stating that this was his full-time job. The lady was so amazed and kept asking question after question finally asking him whether he was bored. These and many other accounts make the book’s message candid and appealing. I was fully engaged throughout the plot and I could not put the book down once I started reading it.

Gregory J. Tysowski’s sprinkles humorous moments throughout while balancing these with sobering statistics. Dad@Home: Fully Domesticated is close-packed but still exhaustive, comprehensible yet informative. The author’s tone is smooth and left me with a lot to think about and re-evaluate.

The relationship the author shares with his children is splendid and his wife’s sacrifice of bearing the financial burden of the family is noble. Dad@Home: Fully Domesticated is a book about love and doing the best you can for those that you love. At the end of it all, Gregory and Lianne did what they had to do for their children.

I would have loved to rate the book 4 stars but it needs another round of editing. Hence, I rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

Dad@Home: Fully Domesticated
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

It would be a fresh perspective to hear from a stay-at-home dad. I enjoy stories of family bonding, love, and sacrifice, so I’m pretty sure I would enjoy this one. It would be interesting to learn about the statistics shared as well. Thanks for a great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Thanks for the review. I'm sure it would be an interesting read.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

I think destigmatizing work traditionally done by women is a huge step towards true gender equality, and I'm glad this book exists to promote it. Thanks for the thoughtful review!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I am curious about the role reversal that happens in the Tysowski household. The statistics will also be enlightening.

Personally, I wouldn't mind taking the role of provider while the man keeps house and attends to the kids. As long as he keeps the kitchen spotless, the bathroom fresh-smelling, the clothes stain-free, the furniture dusted, the ....
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

Isn’t it amazing that in this day and age that an at-home Dad still draws the attention of the public. I have to admit, myself included. When I’m in public and I see a Dad handling the kids without a mom, I often stop just to observe unnoticed just to see how he is doing. Quite the statistic about out of work fathers you stated. They probably are more exhausted working at home! I have to applaud any stay at home parent as I did it myself during the years my kids were young. Very good review. Makes me want to get a copy of this one.
Everything happens for a reason...
Clinical1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Effective Leaders and Leadership
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clinical1.html
Latest Review: Breaking Sandcastles by Kirk Burris
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Clinical1 »

My father became a single parent when my mom passed away. I was 5, my brother had just turned 14 and my sister was 17. He had a hard enough time with family helping him at home. I cannot imagine him being a stay-at-home parent with us.
Although in hind-sight, it may have been funny.
JJNP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjnp.html
Latest Review: The Seduction of Religion by Paul Singh
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by JJNP »

This sounds interesting and probably very useful for men who stay at home to look after the children, or are considering working from home and looking after the children.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with being a stay at home dad. It's commendable. As for not finding a job, unemployment may be low right now, but it's still really difficult to find a job. This sounds like a great book with a bit different perspective.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Thanks for your neat, succinct review. This one sounds like a heart-warming story, and is definitely a different view of life to the older/traditional "husband works, wife stays home with the kids". Pity the editing wasn't quite up to scratch.
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

My ex-husband is a single father and one of my bandmates is a stay-at-home father whose "baby mama" works full-time, so I hear quite a few stories, myself. With that being said, I'm not sure whether I want to read this or not; it's certainly commendable and funny, I'm sure, but I don't know if I want to read the tales of someone I don't know personally. Thanks for the wonderful review, though.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

As a stay-at-home mom, I appreciate books from the perspective of other stay-at-home parents, but I have yet to read one from the point of view of a Dad. I'm "shopping" for one from a man's perspective. Based on your review, this sounds both sobering and uplifting, so I'll be adding it to my "to read" list. Thanks for the review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”