Official Review: Living with Uncertainty and Still Enjoyi...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Living with Uncertainty and Still Enjoyi...

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Living with Uncertainty and Still Enjoying Life" by Karen Kay Dunn, M.A..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Living with Uncertainty and Still Enjoying Life: A Family Survival Guide for Lives Interrupted by a Crisis is a hopeful, inspiring and encouraging book by Karen Kay Dunn, MA.

Karen Kay Dunn is a mental health therapist who counsels individuals battling various forms of trauma. When the spot on her leg was classified as an invasive melanoma, it marked her and her family’s first day of living with uncertainty. Instead of feeling defeated and depressed by her life-changing diagnosis, Karen chose to continue to live her life to the fullest for whatever amount of time she had left.

The book is divided into seven inspiring chapters with an appendix that features excerpts from the author’s My CaringBridge site. It is written to provide encouragement as well as a process that helps conquer fear and improve quality of life while walking through a challenging journey.

The author offers advice on what to do when faced with a crisis like identifying problems and brainstorming solutions. Moreover, she discusses the five stages of adjustment by Elizabeth Kubler Ross: denial, bargaining, depression, anger and adjustment; eight steps for seeking the best outcome of a crisis situation; and eight traits exhibited by people whose happiness is reflected in peace of mind. Furthermore, the book explains the difference between happiness and joy, the importance of forgiveness, and the importance of keeping your sense of humor. In addition, the author shares not only her personal experiences and inspiring stories of other people but also studies that show how prayer improves physical and mental health.

This is a truly inspiring book that encourages anybody facing crisis. The author offers sensible, practical and practicable advice on how to enjoy a life clouded with uncertainty. The book shares beautiful food for thought like ‘stop allowing fear to control you’ and ‘you may not be able to solve your problem but you can stop the problem from destroying your peace and joy.’ Moreover, since the book is presented with a Christian perspective, it is filled with hopeful and carefully chosen Bible verses.

What I like most about the book is the sincerity of the author to provide encouragement and inspiration. She doesn’t sound pushy or judgmental. She doesn’t impose her beliefs on anyone. She simply shares her life experience and the experiences of other people to encourage and make those who are facing uncertainties in life feel they are not alone and that there is another way, a better way, to handle whatever crisis they are facing right now.

The most important part of the book, for me, is the message of hope. Sometimes, when all else fails, a glimmer of hope serves as a beacon that guides a person through the darkness that makes up his life. This may not mean much to some people but I strongly believe it means so much to others.

Aside from a few errors, I didn’t find anything to dislike about this book. I, therefore, rate it 4 out of 4 stars. It is hopeful, inspiring and encouraging. I recommend it to everyone as I believe anybody will face a crisis at some point in his or her life.

Living with Uncertainty and Still Enjoying Life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

"Instead of feeling defeated and depressed by her life-changing diagnosis, Karen chose to continue to live her life to the fullest for whatever amount of time she had left" I admire her courage and acceptance of the reality in life. I believe this book will be quite resourceful to people who has to face a equal situation as this in their lives. Thank you!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 05 May 2018, 00:44 "Instead of feeling defeated and depressed by her life-changing diagnosis, Karen chose to continue to live her life to the fullest for whatever amount of time she had left" I admire her courage and acceptance of the reality in life. I believe this book will be quite resourceful to people who has to face a equal situation as this in their lives. Thank you!
You're welcome. The author is a very courageous person, indeed.
JJNP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjnp.html
Latest Review: The Seduction of Religion by Paul Singh
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by JJNP »

This sounds like a book for me. Lots of traumas and uncertainties in life but managing to live quite a full life. Always more to do and more to learn.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I always feel like I should like these kinds of books, but...I can sometimes appreciate them, but I tend to avoid them in general in favor of other styles of writing. Glad you enjoyed the book and thanks for the review.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

JJNP wrote: 05 May 2018, 11:00 This sounds like a book for me. Lots of traumas and uncertainties in life but managing to live quite a full life. Always more to do and more to learn.
Thank you for the comment. I hope you get a chance to read it.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Kat Berg wrote: 05 May 2018, 13:57 I always feel like I should like these kinds of books, but...I can sometimes appreciate them, but I tend to avoid them in general in favor of other styles of writing. Glad you enjoyed the book and thanks for the review.
You're welcome. It's a great book.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Hope is so very important in our lives. This really does sound like a well put together book for anyone going through a difficult time. So thanks for telling us about this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Sounds very inspirational. Thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Nmadinachi Egwim
Currently Reading: The Mysterious Schoolmaster
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmadinachi-egwim.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Nmadinachi Egwim »

You put together such a beautiful summary of the book. The encouraging excerpts from the book in your review is upbuilding already. Thanks a lot!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Finding peace and joy in a difficult, life-changing situation - such as cancer - would be an incredibly challenging thing to do. This sounds like an uplifting and extremely helpful book. Great review!
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I agree that prayer helps tremendously. Truly an inspirational story that all of us need to read. Good review.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

kandscreeley wrote: 06 May 2018, 11:00 Hope is so very important in our lives. This really does sound like a well put together book for anyone going through a difficult time. So thanks for telling us about this one.
You're welcome. It's really a one great book.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

AmySmiles wrote: 06 May 2018, 13:58 Sounds very inspirational. Thanks for the review.
You're welcome. Inspiring and encouraging.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Nmadinachi Egwim wrote: 06 May 2018, 14:24 You put together such a beautiful summary of the book. The encouraging excerpts from the book in your review is upbuilding already. Thanks a lot!
You're welcome. I enjoyed the book a lot.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”