Official Review: Karma by Laljee Verma

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Re: Official Review: Karma by Laljee Verma

Post by revna01 »

Helen_Combe wrote: 03 May 2018, 16:00 Very interesting review. Karma must be a very difficult thing to accrue in a pure state. I always give money to homeless people begging in the street, thinking ‘there but for the grace of God go
I’. Yet what I’m doing is selfishly upping my karma rating for my own benefit.
Your willingness to objectively self-analyze is refreshing!! Thank you for reading and commenting!
revna01
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

Bianka Walter wrote: 03 May 2018, 16:34 Karma is definitely a word that people throw around a lot. It's interesting to see that it's a word with a lot more depth than we all think. I particularly like the three contributing factors. This sounds like a really interesting book.
Thanks for the review!
It's interesting that many people want/expect karma to hurt the person that hurt them. But this retributive intent is not doing themselves any favors in the eyes of karma, either!
Thanks for reading and commenting!
revna01

Post by revna01 »

fergusonrenee5 wrote: 03 May 2018, 18:17 This is a good review of this book about karma by D. Lalji Verma. The concept of Karma is very interesting to me. After reading your review, I want to put this on my reading list. Thank you for writing it clearly and honestly.
Thank you for reading and leaving a comment!
revna01

Post by revna01 »

cpru68 wrote: 03 May 2018, 19:22 I have to give the author credit for tackling such a hard to pin point subject. I do believe that our good deeds come back to bless us, but that isn’t why we do it, of course. Good deeds create good feelings in the giver, and I love that feeling! Negative feelings have a tendency to backfire so there is something to all this. Your review was well done and good for you to stick with it even if some parts were a bit dry.
The author addresses those good feelings (raising the vibration) we receive when we are practicing selflessness or being kind. And the reverse is true, respectively You've touched on a major point :) Thanks for your insights
revna01

Post by revna01 »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 04 May 2018, 01:45 Haha! Karma is not something small. Sometimes even this life times is not enough to understand this concept. I have been studying karma and its reaction the vipaka for the past 13 years of my life and I can honestly say it is a never ending subject. Thank you!
How fascinating! After reading this book, I can truly understand why you say karma is a never ending subject to study :)
Thank you for reading and commenting!
revna01

Post by revna01 »

cristinaro wrote: 04 May 2018, 04:47 Thank you for providing so many details on the way the author describes karma and the factors influencing individuals' karma. I am interested in the topic and I would like to learn more especially since the author approaches the topic in both a philosophical and scientific manner.
This book sounds like a nice fit for you! Thank you so much for reading and leaving a comment :)
Lu_rire
Currently Reading: The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lu-rire.html
Latest Review: Driven by Max Barnet/Hugh Aaron

Post by Lu_rire »

Although I use karma and fate in my vocabulary rather often, I do not precisely believe in them. I do not believe the world is balanced or a proponent of justice though there always is cause and effect.
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez »

I'm not one to believe in Karma, but I never thought Karma functions with various complex philosophical concepts. I find the idea of karma from the previous life really intriguing. I might give this book a try one of these days. Thanks for this informative review :)
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Kemunto lucy »

I believe in karma and this book explains it so well. What goes around comes around is a true saying and it has happened to me on several occasions. Thanks for the review.
revna01

Post by revna01 »

Lu_rire wrote: 05 May 2018, 01:49 Although I use karma and fate in my vocabulary rather often, I do not precisely believe in them. I do not believe the world is balanced or a proponent of justice though there always is cause and effect.
Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting!
revna01

Post by revna01 »

jvez wrote: 05 May 2018, 02:53 I'm not one to believe in Karma, but I never thought Karma functions with various complex philosophical concepts. I find the idea of karma from the previous life really intriguing. I might give this book a try one of these days. Thanks for this informative review :)
Thank you for reading and commenting!
revna01

Post by revna01 »

Kemunto lucy wrote: 05 May 2018, 05:23 I believe in karma and this book explains it so well. What goes around comes around is a true saying and it has happened to me on several occasions. Thanks for the review.
Thank you for your comments, much appreciated!
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

I don't often read nonfiction, but the concept of karma is a very interesting one and I'm intrigued--although, like you said, it's definitely not going to be a light read! Thank you for your detailed review, it was very nuanced and very helpful :)
revna01

Post by revna01 »

Ginnamassa19 wrote: 13 May 2018, 05:08 I don't often read nonfiction, but the concept of karma is a very interesting one and I'm intrigued--although, like you said, it's definitely not going to be a light read! Thank you for your detailed review, it was very nuanced and very helpful :)
I appreciate you reading and commenting :)
haleygerstenberg
Currently Reading: Amusing ourselves to death
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haleygerstenberg.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by haleygerstenberg »

My religious beliefs exclude karma as a possibility, but I like learning about other viewpoints, and this sounds like a thorough exposition of the concept, so I may be picking it up.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”