Official Review: Karma by Laljee Verma

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Official Review: Karma by Laljee Verma

Post by revna01 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Karma" by Laljee Verma.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Most people are familiar with the concept of karma, but how much do we really know about its meaning or application in life? In his book, Karma: Its Applicability and Relevance in Day-to-Day Life, Dr. Laljee Verma gets to the heart of this iconic notion. He examines karma from the traditional platform of Indic theology but expounds on this information with his own personal insights. At 200 pages, the book is not burdensome in length, but it is certainly not a light read due to the philosophical nature of its narrative.

Karma is widely held to be the idea that one reaps what they sow, especially as it pertains to wronging another. It is also believed to be a force that can be recrafted any time one changes the course of their actions. In an attempt to erase previous wrongdoings, many look to penance as a way to wipe the slate clean, thus excusing themselves from negative karmic effects. The problem with this generalization is that people are going through the motions of gaining positive karma without having a purity of heart and mind that would evoke a truly self-less lifestyle; an essential practice of Indic religions. Verma notes that it is the individual's own conscience that determines what is good and what is bad, which is why there is no simple method for conceptualizing karma and its effects.

However, karma, as it relates to one’s actions, does not comprise the entirety of the concept. Verma describes three factors that detail the karmic effects on an individual. The third factor was mentioned above. The first is the genetic imprinting of past karma, which is inscribed on one’s genes (from one’s own past life as well as familial transfer), and the second relates to one’s upbringing and environment. I have chosen to include this information in my review because it is fundamental to the author's presentation on the interpretation and functioning of karma, negating the misconception that karma is strictly a consequence of one’s actions in this life.

Verma writes in a scientific and philosophical manner, requiring a great deal of concentration. At times I found the verbiage to be mentally draining, but the author did a nice job of reiterating key concepts. This was especially helpful as the author frequently explores subtopics in great detail. The book is very well written, but there are relatively minor errors throughout, which would have easily been corrected had proper editing been performed. I found tremendous value in the information regarding karma, and have gained a better understanding of the belief systems of Indic religions. While I don’t personally subscribe to everything I read in this book, I believe the desire to practice good karma is extraordinarily beneficial to all inhabitants of Earth, and can only be viewed as a positive venture, whether one fully comprehends the nature of karma or not.

Unfortunately, given the editing errors, I cannot score this book above 3 out of 4 stars. Ideally, I would rate it 3.5 stars due to Verma's detailed explanation of karma and its applications in life. I believe this book would be best suited for someone with a true interest in the principles of karma, or someone that enjoys studying religious beliefs and practices.

Like revna01's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm not really one of those people that believe in Karma. I've seen many times when what goes around does NOT come around. However, I believe in God, so in the end I guess it's a cosmic Karma. Nevertheless, I'm glad you enjoyed this one. I don't think I'll be picking it up. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
sandra1318
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sandra1318 »

I am truly a big believer in Karma. Why? because its a way of saying that's what you get for being cold hearted and not caring what and who its going to affect.I also believe that god is the one to make sure that shows us humans the right and wrong to things.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

I can think of several people I would like to give this book to because, although not a believer in Karma myself, I recognise that it is a serious piece of religious philosophy and it annoys me to hear it being misused. Thanks for another great review.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I'd be very interested to read this. I'm familiar with the idea that we have karma from previous lives - indeed, being born as a human provides the only opportunity to purify it. This reminder gives me strength to deal with my current difficult circumstances. It gets complicated when people do things with good intentions but they have bad effects - that's where purity of heart is so important.

Shame about the editing - same old story.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Very interesting review. Karma must be a very difficult thing to accrue in a pure state. I always give money to homeless people begging in the street, thinking ‘there but for the grace of God go
I’. Yet what I’m doing is selfishly upping my karma rating for my own benefit.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Karma is definitely a word that people throw around a lot. It's interesting to see that it's a word with a lot more depth than we all think. I particularly like the three contributing factors. This sounds like a really interesting book.
Thanks for the review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
fergusonrenee5
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by fergusonrenee5 »

This is a good review of this book about karma by D. Lalji Verma. The concept of Karma is very interesting to me. After reading your review, I want to put this on my reading list. Thank you for writing it clearly and honestly.
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I have to give the author credit for tackling such a hard to pin point subject. I do believe that our good deeds come back to bless us, but that isn’t why we do it, of course. Good deeds create good feelings in the giver, and I love that feeling! Negative feelings have a tendency to backfire so there is something to all this. Your review was well done and good for you to stick with it even if some parts were a bit dry.
Everything happens for a reason...
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Haha! Karma is not something small. Sometimes even this life times is not enough to understand this concept. I have been studying karma and its reaction the vipaka for the past 13 years of my life and I can honestly say it is a never ending subject. Thank you!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Thank you for providing so many details on the way the author describes karma and the factors influencing individuals' karma. I am interested in the topic and I would like to learn more especially since the author approaches the topic in both a philosophical and scientific manner.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
revna01
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

kandscreeley wrote: 03 May 2018, 07:30 I'm not really one of those people that believe in Karma. I've seen many times when what goes around does NOT come around. However, I believe in God, so in the end I guess it's a cosmic Karma. Nevertheless, I'm glad you enjoyed this one. I don't think I'll be picking it up. Thanks.
Thanks for your comments!
revna01

Post by revna01 »

sandra1318 wrote: 03 May 2018, 11:17 I am truly a big believer in Karma. Why? because its a way of saying that's what you get for being cold hearted and not caring what and who its going to affect.I also believe that god is the one to make sure that shows us humans the right and wrong to things.
Thank you so much for stopping by to read and leave a comment!
revna01

Post by revna01 »

Libs_Books wrote: 03 May 2018, 12:05 I can think of several people I would like to give this book to because, although not a believer in Karma myself, I recognise that it is a serious piece of religious philosophy and it annoys me to hear it being misused. Thanks for another great review.
Thanks Libs_Books! I appreciate the comments!
revna01

Post by revna01 »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 03 May 2018, 14:17 I'd be very interested to read this. I'm familiar with the idea that we have karma from previous lives - indeed, being born as a human provides the only opportunity to purify it. This reminder gives me strength to deal with my current difficult circumstances. It gets complicated when people do things with good intentions but they have bad effects - that's where purity of heart is so important.

Shame about the editing - same old story.
I'm sorry that things are difficult for you right now! You're right, things do get complicated with good intentions but the results are not good.
Thanks so much for reading and commenting. I hope things get better asap :)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”