Review by oluchiokere84 -- Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
oluchiokere84
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchiokere84.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Review by oluchiokere84 -- Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks

Post by oluchiokere84 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Health Tips, Myths and Tricks by Morton E Travel, MD was an eye-opener for me.One reason is because I have fallen victim to fictitious claims by sales representatives of ‘wonder- working’ rapid weight loss products and programs a few times. The high sodium content of a slice of white bread is also worthy of note for people who love to eat bread like me also; to guard against high blood pressure. It is a wake – up call for everyone to take responsibility for their health; be more disciplined and give up harmful habits such as eating food prepared with transfats, excess intake of coffee (more than 2 – 3 cups) per day; despite social trends.

In the book, the author explained causes of some prevalent ailments like cardiovascular disease, diabetes, high blood pressure and some of their risk factors. Tricks used in selling products, including food that do more harm than good were also exposed. Various myths also that have been passed on to generations were revealed to be true or false based on existing facts and research carried out in medicine.

I like the book because it is virtually impossible to read any chapter without getting some clarification about previous knowledge on the subject matter being discussed. I appreciate the fact that he took the pain to review scientific studies previously carried out on the issues before making his conclusions at the end of every chapter. I also commend him for specifically mentioning the side effects of some common drugs and supplements such as Qsymia and Contrave drugs for weight loss. Some defaulters in medical practice were also commented on without fear or favor which is a plus. However, I expected him to shed more light on the various types of alternative medicines and the success rate of such interventions in healing.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This is because it is written in simple English and facts are explained without much use of ambiguous medical terms. Hence, it can be read and understood easily by non – medical practitioners.

In my opinion, it is a book that should be read by all in order to save some money spent on unnecessary healthcare and still prolong life. It will only be disliked by fraudulent workers in the health industry who value financial gain more than the sanctity of human life. I would certainly refer to it again and again to help me and others live a healthier life

Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like oluchiokere84's review? Post a comment saying so!
Delightsome
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delightsome.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Delightsome »

Great review. Check out mine.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”