Official Review: Just Say Hello by Paul Orshan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Just Say Hello by Paul Orshan

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Just Say Hello" by Paul Orshan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Just Say Hello: The Ordinary Dates of My Sometimes Difficult and Sometimes Remarkable (But Always Interesting) Days (And Nights) by Paul Orshan is an autobiography detailing the many life events that have shaped the life of the author. This book focuses on a plethora of events, and the book is not chronological but rather focuses on significant periods of Paul's life in no particular order. Paul has endured a lot in his years, and he tells his story to encourage others that may be going through similar situations. Most notably, Paul’s first daughter, Amanda, was born with special needs and recently passed away; he has battled, and overcome, addiction; he’s come out as a gay man multiple times; and Paul is also a successful lawyer.

Just Say Hello is not only well written, but the author has a clear voice that is exuded in each and every word of this book. After reading only a few pages, Paul’s character and personality quickly began to take shape. Upon finishing the book, I genuinely felt I knew Paul as a person. Reading this book is almost like sitting down with the author and having an in-depth discussion about life. I admired Paul’s honesty in his writing, as well as in his storytelling.

That being said, the honesty with which Paul tells his stories is the most compelling aspect of this book. Paul is open about his flaws and discusses his current point of view about his past situations with the age-wizened eye of someone who has taken a lot of time to mull over their experiences and truly realize why things happened the way they did. This honesty is exactly what kept me turning the page while I read Just Say Hello. Paul’s honesty about his love and selfishness regarding his daughter, his addiction, his job and even his sexuality were inspiring and relatable.

The only detractor in this book was that sometimes the book felt too much like a glossed-over account of the major turning points in Paul’s life; many of the anecdotes lacked masterful storytelling. Oftentimes, I wanted to know more details about the events Paul was describing, but instead, such events were relayed in rather shallow terms. Many of the stories Paul writes about could be more engaging and relatable if they were told with additional depth and not just as a person reflecting on their past.

While I don’t typically read many autobiographies, I thoroughly enjoyed reading about Paul and his experiences. Paul does an excellent job explaining the situations that have made up his life through an honest lens that readers will easily connect with. Further, Paul’s honesty is proof that not everything in life is cut and dry, and just when we think we have figured things out, we realize we really have no idea where we are going in this life. I admire Paul for sharing his story; I was tempted to go with a three-star rating because of the lack of engrossing storytelling at times, but my final positive disposition despite this flaw leads me to rate Just Say Hello 4 out of 4 stars. Anyone who enjoys reading autobiographies told with a candid and relatable voice will enjoy Just Say Hello.

Just Say Hello
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

What a nice review!
I was curious why he came out as a gay man on several occasions. As in, he came out to various groups he was associated with (ie, friends family, co-workers, etc)?
It's interesting that the events aren't chronological, as that seems somewhat counterintuitive.
Thanks for the review!
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

Wow. this book sounds like it could have been more than one book with all the information contained in it. It would seem that the author has lived many lives in just this one life time. How brave for a person to lay his life out on paper like this for all the world to read. I would assume that his purpose is to bring healing and encouragement to readers who are going through similar circumstances. I enjoyed reading your thorough review.
Everything happens for a reason...
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

That's an interesting name for an autobiography.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

First, I'm so sorry for the author's loss. The loss of a child is something that you can't really empathize with unless you've been through it. It does sound like he's been through quite a bit. Thanks for introducing us to this book!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

It is refreshing when an author presents his story in an honest way. I find that this impresses me also. This story seems to reveal the many struggles he has encountered in his life. What an interesting review! Thanks.
Lu_rire
Currently Reading: The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lu-rire.html
Latest Review: Driven by Max Barnet/Hugh Aaron

Post by Lu_rire »

I like the title. It made me curious about the book.
I wonder what motivated the author to write his autobiography. What kind of people did he want to hear his message?
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

nice review and interesting to note how quickly describes about the character Paul and kind of life he leads having a needy daughter and how he lost her.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”