Official Review: The American Gun Controversy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Official Review: The American Gun Controversy

Post by revna01 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The American Gun Controversy" by John Thomas Bowne.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

One of the topics taking center stage in America right now is the debate on guns. The discussion is inherently heated as pro-gun and anti-gun advocates attempt to secure their interests within the law as well as public opinion. The American Gun Controversy takes an in-depth look at the current debate and seeks to offer solutions to mollify both sides.

John Thomas Bowne has been a practicing attorney at law for forty-six years. The book begins with Bowne making it clear that his aim is to impartially supply information about various mitigating factors to the gun controversy. He cites evidentiary sources throughout his writing as they pertain to statistics and legal standpoints, but does not include additional references, as he strongly encourages pro-gun and anti-gun advocates to wholeheartedly research both sides of the argument for themselves.

Bowne asserts there are two major components that both sides of the gun controversy must face as an unchanging truth: the Second Amendment exists (and its language will likely remain intact), and American citizens will remain heavily armed for the foreseeable future. With this in mind, the author reflects on the arguments coming from both sides of the debate. Offering potential solutions to irresponsible gun ownership such as Strict Liability (including safe storage requirements), and Life Insurance Exclusion policies, Bowne examines the steps necessary to effect change and foretells what results could reasonably be expected from implementing these practices.

There is no denying the author has researched all angles of this topic, which I found to be an especially validating feature. This book is teeming with facts, statistics, real-life conversations, hypotheticals, and laws. I was pleased that the author presented suggestions for minimizing the deep divide over gun control, rather than simply identifying a problem we all know exists. What I liked most about the book was that the author delivered on his preface to remain neutral; I felt no sense of bias on his part as he presented thoughts, rebuttals, and contentions from both sides. The thorough editing left only a couple very minor errors, which I scarcely noticed.

My least favorite part was the technical language, which was often overly wordy and complicated, requiring significant concentration to follow along. I could certainly appreciate the abundance of information, but at the same time, many stats/points were repeated, creating challenges in regards to the organizational flow of the book.

Additionally, I would be remiss if I didn’t mention my qualms with the proposed “solutions” to the gun crisis. I don't believe they get to the heart of what the current debate is all about: the use of semi-automatic weapons to inflict maximum damage. What good is a Strict Liability law when it comes to murder-suicide cases? The author makes note that sixty-five percent of Americans killed by guns are not victims of a crime, but rather the results of accidents or suicide, but that certainly leaves a hefty percentage that doesn’t fall into the “accident/suicide” category.

While this book is well-researched and offers a lot of useful facts and proposals, I feel the language is ultimately too heavy, causing the pertinent information to become lost in a sea of words. It is for this reason I cannot rate this book above 3 out of 4 stars. And while I can't envision the solutions providing a satisfactory compromise to the gun controversy as it exists today, I applaud Bowne for his efforts on behalf of the issue.

The American Gun Controversy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like revna01's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm not extremely surprised that this book is overly wordy considering it comes from a lawyer. That's kind of what they do. :) Nevertheless, it would be a good book for our times right now. I feel like we all need to come to some kind of agreement. Thanks for the information!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
revna01
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

kandscreeley wrote: 30 Apr 2018, 07:48 I'm not extremely surprised that this book is overly wordy considering it comes from a lawyer. That's kind of what they do. :) Nevertheless, it would be a good book for our times right now. I feel like we all need to come to some kind of agreement. Thanks for the information!
Yes, I feel it's a nice starting point for the necessary conversation concerning guns, and it offers suggestions that should already be laws. Meaning, the author has done a great job pinpointing some significant areas for improvement in responsible gun ownership.

And yes, the book just screams "I was written by a lawyer!" It also reads like it's intended for a trial or lawmakers as opposed to the target audience: the American public. That's the reason I couldn't justify full marks, even with everything this book had going for it.

Thanks for reading and commenting!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

SABRADLEY wrote: 30 Apr 2018, 09:15
kandscreeley wrote: 30 Apr 2018, 07:48 I'm not extremely surprised that this book is overly wordy considering it comes from a lawyer. That's kind of what they do. :) Nevertheless, it would be a good book for our times right now. I feel like we all need to come to some kind of agreement. Thanks for the information!
Yes, I feel it's a nice starting point for the necessary conversation concerning guns, and it offers suggestions that should already be laws. Meaning, the author has done a great job pinpointing some significant areas for improvement in responsible gun ownership.

And yes, the book just screams "I was written by a lawyer!" It also reads like it's intended for a trial or lawmakers as opposed to the target audience: the American public. That's the reason I couldn't justify full marks, even with everything this book had going for it.

I work with lawyers, so I completely understand that. It's hard sometimes to just get a simple yes or no from them! :)
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
revna01

Post by revna01 »

kandscreeley wrote: 30 Apr 2018, 09:50
SABRADLEY wrote: 30 Apr 2018, 09:15

I work with lawyers, so I completely understand that. It's hard sometimes to just get a simple yes or no from them! :)
Hahaha! I totally know what you mean. I worked as a legal secretary for 3 years and boy was that an experience!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

SABRADLEY wrote: 29 Apr 2018, 07:59
There is no denying the author has researched all angles of this topic, which I found to be an especially validating feature. This book is teeming with facts, statistics, real-life conversations, hypotheticals, and laws. I was pleased that the author presented suggestions for minimizing the deep divide over gun control, rather than simply identifying a problem we all know exists. What I liked most about the book was that the author delivered on his preface to remain neutral; I felt no sense of bias on his part as he presented thoughts, rebuttals, and contentions from both sides.
It sounds like the author has done an admirable job of presenting the case, which is impressive since he deliberately did not choose a side. You make some good points about the technical language being a drawback for the intended audience. It would be interesting to read this in tandem with Final Notice by Van Fleisher. There would be plenty of material for stimulating conversations on the issue! Thanks for a well-done review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
revna01

Post by revna01 »

stacie k wrote: 30 Apr 2018, 12:10
SABRADLEY wrote: 29 Apr 2018, 07:59
There is no denying the author has researched all angles of this topic, which I found to be an especially validating feature. This book is teeming with facts, statistics, real-life conversations, hypotheticals, and laws. I was pleased that the author presented suggestions for minimizing the deep divide over gun control, rather than simply identifying a problem we all know exists. What I liked most about the book was that the author delivered on his preface to remain neutral; I felt no sense of bias on his part as he presented thoughts, rebuttals, and contentions from both sides.
It sounds like the author has done an admirable job of presenting the case, which is impressive since he deliberately did not choose a side. You make some good points about the technical language being a drawback for the intended audience. It would be interesting to read this in tandem with Final Notice by Van Fleisher. There would be plenty of material for stimulating conversations on the issue! Thanks for a well-done review!
Thank you so much stacie k, I appreciate the comments :)
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

I think that's a very fair-minded review, so I commend both you and the author on your ability to stand back and look at things dispassionately. However, your comment about the use of semi-automatic weapons really hits the nail on the head. I suspect that the author has gone so deeply into the details that he has lost sight of the bigger picture. Congratulations on a great review on such a controversial and challenging issue.
revna01

Post by revna01 »

Libs_Books wrote: 30 Apr 2018, 15:19 I think that's a very fair-minded review, so I commend both you and the author on your ability to stand back and look at things dispassionately. However, your comment about the use of semi-automatic weapons really hits the nail on the head. I suspect that the author has gone so deeply into the details that he has lost sight of the bigger picture. Congratulations on a great review on such a controversial and challenging issue.
I appreciate the comments! Thanks for reading :)
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

I love the topic that the author has chosen to write about.
revna01

Post by revna01 »

420waystoreachthesun wrote: 01 May 2018, 06:50 I love the topic that the author has chosen to write about.
I completely agree. Thank you for your comment :)
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Nice to hear the author takes a (relatively) impartial view on the issue of gun control. Just unfortunate the language of the text becomes a little heavy - though I can understand why it does, given his long experience as an attorney!
revna01

Post by revna01 »

joshfee77 wrote: 06 May 2018, 20:26 Nice to hear the author takes a (relatively) impartial view on the issue of gun control. Just unfortunate the language of the text becomes a little heavy - though I can understand why it does, given his long experience as an attorney!
Haha, yep! It does make perfect sense. Thank you for reading and commenting :)
Ariane377
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Ariane377 »

I love the way you write your reviews Sabradley. It is clear, concise and to the point. We know exactly what to expect from the book. The subject of gun control is full of pitfalls and the world is watching how the USA is handling it and with what results. With the rise of mental illnesses throughout the world this touches us all. Thank you.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”