Review by Wesono -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Wesono
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesono.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Review by Wesono -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

Post by Wesono »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Williams E. Combs’ ‘Who Told You That You Were Naked?’ is more or less a guide through the bible on issues of sin and unworthiness. It is however not the type that makes you feel dirty or worse that you already feel.

William E. Combs takes the reader through the bible from Adam and Eve’s era in Genesis to the New Testament. I must say he started on a bold note because Genesis is one part of the bible the raises really difficult questions. He starts with how sin entered the world and goes on to give hope to many who have lost it. The reader is encouraged to follow God and not be ashamed of how he or she is. In other words, do not hide or run away from God as Adam and Eve did:
Who Told You That You Were Naked

The writer very well combines fiction and the bible to create what kept me and probably, many other readers, trying to connect the ‘dots’ in the book. He did a good job keeping me curious.

He also provides thought provoking study guides at the end of every chapter to help both Christian and may be non-Christian groups to hold good discussions on matter arising from the book.
At a point while reading this book I wondered if the title was appropriate. For that and other reasons I decided a number of times to put the book aside and not go back to it again but, I kept going back to it.

The book seems to have gone through the normal process of publishing and for that matter has been professionally edited. I did not come across any grammatical errors. The writer also provides references to the various books he took information from and that gives the reader confidence that much research went into this work and the information is dependable.

A reader who is not used to this kind of writing, is however likely to lose interest especially because there seems to have been a deliberate attempt to make narratives longer so as to add more pages to the book. An example is the following extract from chapter one:
Fall found the couple bustling from one region
of the garden to another, harvesting all manner
of grains, root vegetables, fruits, and nuts. Even
though it was demanding work, every afternoon
was blessed with cool breezes and enriching fellowship
signaled by the sound of the Lord walking toward
them.
Earlier that summer, they learned how to collect
date palm leaves and long rush stalks from the
marshy river bank and how to dry them in the hot
sun. Soon after, they split the fronds and stems into...
The writer probably imagined what else may have happened in the bible stories and created his version of the stories.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars and encourage everyone especially people who have questions on sin and the bible, to read ‘Who Told You That You Were Naked?’

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Wesono's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”