Official Review: Living in the Space of Light by Caarna

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Official Review: Living in the Space of Light by Caarna

Post by EvaDar »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Living in the Space of Light" by Caarna.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What is your secret to health and happiness? Is it an elaborate formula or just one word? Whether or not you have it all figured out, Living in the Space of Light will take you on one woman’s journey of finding her source of health, happiness, and spirituality. Caarna, born René Geldenhuys, works as a physiotherapist in South Africa. Her life’s work has been devoted to teaching people how to heal themselves using their own inner light. From cranial-sacral therapy to acupuncture and healing violet flames, Caarna uses her diverse training and resources to help people find and access their own inner healer.

René Geldenhuys started her healing career at age six when her father was recovering from a serious mining accident. She was fascinated watching the physiotherapists work on her father through his rehabilitation. She found herself inquiring about the body and what is needed for it to heal itself. René began training herself to access her inner light by sitting alone in a dark cupboard. Eventually, she learned to call on her light spontaneously, to help others.

While researching a garden project based on sacred geometry, Geldenhuys was given the name Caarna, which means “Lady of The Light.” Working with light and its healing potential, Caarna now teaches others to find their inner light source, as a way of connecting with divine energies. She believes her purpose here is to live as a “Christed Being,” one who follows the example of Christ.

Living in the Space of Light contains twenty-one chapters, each describing an aspect or practice essential to living a life of Spirit and light. The section on love proclaims, “Loving who you are is the most empowering thing you will ever do for yourself, your life here, and those around you.” Caarna teaches that love in all forms has infinite healing potential and is known to reduce stress, reduce pain, and provide an overall sense of well being.

Happiness, for Caarna, is the result of conscious life choices and is built on a foundation of five aspects: community, gratitude, optimism, present moment awareness, and a sense of purpose. Similar formulas for happiness appear in both ancient and contemporary spiritual teachings. A daily practice of mindful thought, the foundation of Buddhism, is said to reduce suffering and lead to happiness. Eckhart Tolle, in his 2004 book The Power of Now, teaches the importance of present moment awareness. Like Tolle, Caarna’s primary message is that awakened consciousness through awareness is what aligns us with our life purpose.

Caarna’s beliefs are fiercely held and somewhat challenging at times. About gratitude, she asserts that not only is it important to be grateful for the positive aspects of life like family and good health, but also for the difficulties – the hard stuff – because this provides opportunities to find our inner strength. Caarna also teaches that we are the absolute creators of everything in our lives, the good and the bad. Modern culture became interested in this concept through a 2007 book called The Secret and the teachings of the law of attraction. One of twelve Universal laws, this one proclaims that nothing happens by accident – that we invite every person, experience, and circumstance to our lives, even the terrible ones. Caarna writes, “When we start looking at ourselves for reasons of dysfunction and misalignment, we start opening up to reveal the unfolding of all the complex but beautiful layers that make up the uniqueness of who we are.” Similarly, Caarna’s approach to fear is one of acceptance. She claims the only way to transform fear is to accept it, explore it, and welcome it rather than avoid it. I know this to be true for myself, though the practice of welcoming fear can feel counter-intuitive. The book is full of useful exercises or prescriptions for working with experiences such as fear and anxiety.

I found some incongruence in the area of spirituality. Throughout the book, Caarna asserts that we must accept that all circumstances and experiences are the results of God’s divine grace. Numerous times, however, she claims her intentions caused weather or other conditions to change. For instance, Caarna claims her intentions and visualizations caused the weather to clear for her daughter’s wedding and that talking to the wind and visualizing a diamond grid stopped a fire that was encroaching on dwellings. She seems to believe that the elements “obey” certain human commands when conditions are right. Caarna says we all have the same power as Jesus, to do such things. While I understand this basic tenet of New Age spirituality, I think it is a complex concept that deserved more exploration in the book. There are numerous concepts in this book that will likely feel extreme to some readers. The author might have drawn in her audience more had she addressed the potential skepticism and offered some more bridging between different belief systems. For instance, Christ and Christ Consciousness feature prominently in Caarna’s experiences and writings, but her teachings are not traditionally Christian. It may have helped for the author to offer more traditional readers some context for making the leap.

I rate Living in the Space of Light 3 out of 4 stars. I found it to be a pleasant read, free of editing errors, and full of useful spiritual lessons. Other non-fiction books tackle this subject matter, but Caarna’s stories and life experiences make this book worth reading. It is probably not a book for religious traditionalists, though an open mind would undoubtedly appreciate the teachings. If you like reading Eckhart Tolle or Marianne Williamson, you will enjoy this primer for living a life of fulfillment through spirituality. I hope you will find this book inspirational. I did. Caarna states in the introduction, “Human potential is infinite. Your potential has no limits.” Go out there and exercise your potential!

Living in the Space of Light
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Eva Darrington's review? Post a comment saying so!
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

That is a great statement, 'Go out there and exercise your potential'. I like the thematic issue that the book seeks to address and would to hear more about it. However, the teachings that seem extra-Biblical are strange to me. Thanks for the nice review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Eva Darrington wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 20:27 Caarna’s beliefs are fiercely held and somewhat challenging at times. ... Caarna also teaches that we are the absolute creators of everything in our lives, the good and the bad.
As someone who teaches young people with significant, often life-changing and/or terminal disabilities, I find that this type of teaching just raises my hackles.
I found some incongruence in the area of spirituality. Throughout the book, Caarna asserts that we must accept that all circumstances and experiences are the results of God’s divine grace. Numerous times, however, she claims her intentions caused weather or other conditions to change. For instance, Caarna claims her intentions and visualizations caused the weather to clear for her daughter’s wedding and that talking to the wind and visualizing a diamond grid stopped a fire that was encroaching on dwellings.
I think that's a very acute piece of observation.Thanks for a very thoughtful and intelligent review.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Kibetious wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 06:41 That is a great statement, 'Go out there and exercise your potential'. I like the thematic issue that the book seeks to address and would to hear more about it. However, the teachings that seem extra-Biblical are strange to me. Thanks for the nice review.
It was a really interesting bridge between Christianity and New Age thought. Thanks for stopping by!
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Libs_Books wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 06:49 As someone who teaches young people with significant, often life-changing and/or terminal disabilities, I find that this type of teaching just raises my hackles.
I completely understand your reaction. This is my primary issue with the whole new age thought movement. Thanks so much for stopping by and reading.
-Nayyirah Waheed
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Sound like a touching read. I believe people has a lot to learn from it under different aspects. Thank you for sharing this book through your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 09:14 Sound like a touching read. I believe people has a lot to learn from it under different aspects. Thank you for sharing this book through your review!
Yes, there were many gems in this book. Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting!
-Nayyirah Waheed
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I really don't like much spirituality, in the traditional sense of the word, in my books. So, this probably isn't really for me. However, I have started my own journey of healing in a sense. I've become much more interested in herbal medicine and its healing properties. So, I would be interested in the healing side of the book. Not enough to read it, though. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Nice book with both the healing and spiritual elements. In my view spirituality and healing are both connected to each other. Thanks for your nice review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 23:59 Nice book with both the healing and spiritual elements. In my view spirituality and healing are both connected to each other. Thanks for your nice review.
Thanks so much for stopping by.
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

kandscreeley wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 10:50 I really don't like much spirituality, in the traditional sense of the word, in my books. So, this probably isn't really for me. However, I have started my own journey of healing in a sense. I've become much more interested in herbal medicine and its healing properties. So, I would be interested in the healing side of the book. Not enough to read it, though. Thanks!
Was just scanning my old reviews and saw your comment. While the author strives for "Christ consciousness," the book is not traditionally religious. It is definitely about a certain type of spiritual path, however. So, it might not be a fun read for you. Thanks for the comments. I appreciate you stopping by.
-Nayyirah Waheed
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Sounds like an interesting book with useful pieces of advice. Thanks for the enlightening review.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A self-help book revolving around one woman's spiritual awakening sounds uplifting. Sounds like the book contains some good concepts, such as positive thinking and using our "inner light" to achieve happiness and self-fulfillment. Too bad about the "incongruence in the area of spirituality". I do not care for New Age spirituality, but I am glad you found it beneficial. Thank you for the review.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
allinsondaniel
Favorite Book: Literacy and Orality
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 246

Post by allinsondaniel »

Spiritual journey, the motivational book Is nice, look interesting, in my opinion sound go to read.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Although it would be interesting to learn about one woman’s journey of finding her source of health, happiness, and spirituality, I would struggle with the non-Biblical teachings. Therefore, this book is not for me. Thanks for sharing the information, though. I did enjoy your review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”