Official Review: Trust me, I’m a care worker

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: Trust me, I’m a care worker

Post by Christina Rose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Trust me, I’m a care worker" by Christopher Bulteel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In 2002, the life of Christopher Bulteel underwent a dramatic change. At the age of 53, recently learned about health-related issues led Chris to leave his lengthy career in catering, and enter into the medical support field as a care worker. He soon found out that those working within this position are often highly underpaid, yet still quite dedicated. In his own words, these are the true unsung heroes, working hard every day at their jobs of helping others. In his nonfiction book, Trust me I’m a Care Worker: Extracts from a Diary of a Care Worker, Mr. Bulteel gives us a lighthearted and often humorous peek into his time spent as a care worker. We are also given insight into a parallel career he held in local authorities.

I was drawn to this book because I felt that I could relate to the author and some of his stories. I spent five years as a Certified Nursing Assistant within a long term care facility. Although Christopher Bulteel’s work brought him into the homes of his clients, and my work was within the facility, I did find many aspects of Mr. Bulteel’s remembrances to be familiar. As he describes his various encounters throughout his workday, you can really tell how much the author cares about his clients, even when situations get a little rough.

Christopher Bulteel’s stories are both relatable and enjoyable. Within his book, we find engaging tales that make us laugh and warm our hearts. The clients the author describes are strong beyond reason, and their stories are unique and memorable. One of the many that sticks out in my head occurred on a rainy July evening. Basically, the story involves a task that requires two care workers, a mechanical hoist, a client who wants to go to bed right away, and a delayed second care worker. Throw in a storm that shorts out the hoist while in use, extra care workers who show up after the fact to help, an ambulance crew, a couple of policemen, a lot of tea, and later, an unavoidable disciplinary hearing, and you get a laugh out loud memory and a few lessons learned.

Although we only get a brief glimpse into the lives of those individuals the author worked with, Christopher Bulteel does a great job of making each moment memorable. I enjoy the casual tone of his writing, and the way he weaves lessons learned into his work. I definitely think this book would appeal to those who have worked within this industry, and also to those who enjoy reading personal stories and anecdotes. If such tales are not your cup of tea, then this book may not be for you.

What I think I enjoy most in his book, is the way Christopher Bulteel highlights the positives, both in people and in situations. The negatives are mentioned as they occur, but he does not dwell upon them. The author’s writing points to a very positive demeanor. I also find the chapter titles to be very clever. They work well to set up the reader to enjoy the upcoming tale. There is not anything that I think I would change, and it is with pleasure that I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. While there are some spelling and grammar errors, such as using the word tuned instead of turned, as well as odd chapter breaks, neither take away from my enjoyment or from my understanding of the reading. A completely polished look may even take away from this book being compiled from the author’s diary.

There is a quote from page 21 that I find to be so true. “I have learned very quickly to take one day at a time, as a care worker should never assume that any day, however carefully mapped out for them by their line manager, will proceed according to plan.” I think this is true, not only for care workers, but for all of us. If you are looking for heartwarming laughter and everyday imperfections, then I think you should give this book a try. I truly enjoyed it.

Trust me, I’m a care worker
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Christina Rose's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I loved your review. I think care workers are indeed "true unsung heroes" and their job involves a lot of dedication and selfless commitment. I am glad Christopher Bulteel's book praises their efforts. I honestly think we could benefit from reading such stories which can make all of us reconsider our priorities.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Roy mug kim
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Roy mug kim »

It's like everybody must turn back to the care workers
Because it seems like they go through hell to provide service,
Though they work hard they go for an underpayment.
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I seriously don’t think the general public think of this profession unless they are put into the position of having to. When I was sixteen, I began as a housekeeper at our local long term care facility. I also worked in the kitchen as well. Once out of college with my degree, I became the assistant to the social worker. This book sounds all too familiar as stories go. Sometimes humorous and some heart breaking. An experience such as what you described here changes a person. You see life from a whole different perspective. Your detailed review was wonderful. This one might have to go on my overflowing shelf!
Everything happens for a reason...
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

It's great that you were able to relate your own experiences to the tales in the book - it gives your review authenticity and that makes your enthusiasm all the more engaging.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

cristinaro wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 11:29 I loved your review. I think care workers are indeed "true unsung heroes" and their job involves a lot of dedication and selfless commitment. I am glad Christopher Bulteel's book praises their efforts. I honestly think we could benefit from reading such stories which can make all of us reconsider our priorities.
Thank you. You're right; this field of work truly does involve dedication and commitment. I agree that everyone could probably benefit from stories of this nature. Not only can it potentially make us rethink our own priorities, but it could also give us a deeper understanding of what our elderly and disabled have to deal with day to day - some who manage to stay positive despite any health issues.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

cpru68 wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 14:28 I seriously don’t think the general public think of this profession unless they are put into the position of having to. When I was sixteen, I began as a housekeeper at our local long term care facility. I also worked in the kitchen as well. Once out of college with my degree, I became the assistant to the social worker. This book sounds all too familiar as stories go. Sometimes humorous and some heart breaking. An experience such as what you described here changes a person. You see life from a whole different perspective. Your detailed review was wonderful. This one might have to go on my overflowing shelf!
Thank you. I think you'll enjoy it when you get the chance to read it. You're right. Most people probably don't think much about this profession unless dealing with it first hand. I wasn't really familiar either, until my mom became a CNA. Yes, these experiences do tend to change a person, and unfortunately some truly are heartbreaking.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Libs_Books wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 14:41 It's great that you were able to relate your own experiences to the tales in the book - it gives your review authenticity and that makes your enthusiasm all the more engaging.
It was nice being able to relate to some of what the author was discussing. Thank you.
SkyeDragon
Currently Reading: Becoming the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skyedragon.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by SkyeDragon »

I do agree caregivers can be underpaid and not appreciated for all the hard work they do every day. This review was good and caused me to want to learn more about this book. I like casually written books as well.
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

Post by trajoe1206 »

Thanks for a great review. Your comment about care workers being unsung hero's I totally agree with. It is a job which is never done for the money. Your personal experience enabled you to relate to the book which shows in your review of it and makes me want to know more. Thank you
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

SkyeDragon wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 17:11 I do agree caregivers can be underpaid and not appreciated for all the hard work they do every day. This review was good and caused me to want to learn more about this book. I like casually written books as well.
Thank you. I hope you check out the book, and that you enjoy it. :)
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

trajoe1206 wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 19:04 Thanks for a great review. Your comment about care workers being unsung hero's I totally agree with. It is a job which is never done for the money. Your personal experience enabled you to relate to the book which shows in your review of it and makes me want to know more. Thank you
Thank you. You're right about this not being a job done for the money. You definitely have to care and really want to be there. I hope you'll check out the book.
Flower81
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Flower81 »

"Trust me, I am a care worker" this title and subject speaks to me
I worked in home health caregiving for years, often difficult, challenging and requires a lot of patience. The rewards can be great but it can also be sad, scary and annoying. That is why it makes me upset fast food workers run around demanding $15 an hour. I made less than $9 an hour and had to be in sometimes awful environments, change adult diapers and plenty of other gross stuff. Caregivers should get a raise!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I definitely think this sounds like an interesting and worthy read. I'm sure there are some humorous moments as well as some more serious ones. Working in healthcare is definitely a challenge as is any job dealing with people. It oftentimes seems that healthcare professionals are overworked and underpaid. Thanks for the review of this one!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

It is nice to learn that someone has gone a mile to research on the state f these caregivers. The story is indeed true as there is much evidence to prove that most caregivers are underpaid and also work in unconducive environments.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”