Official Review: Dreaming to Be the Outlier

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Dreaming to Be the Outlier

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dreaming to Be the Outlier" by Daniel Hotchner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Daniel Hotchner has high hopes for his life; there is much that he wants to do and achieve. But, there are major obstacles in his way. Follow his story in Dreaming to Be the Outlier.

We first meet Daniel as a young boy being bullied by his classmates. These incidents will haunt him the rest of his life; indeed, they send him into a severe depression. He contemplates suicide, and takes to cutting himself for some release. He sees doctor after doctor trying to find some relief from this torment. Sadly, this isn't the only difficult part of Daniel's life. He develops a condition that is extremely painful for him. How much can one man endure?

Eye-opening. Inspirational. Motivational. Illuminating. Entertaining. All words that can be used to describe this book. Daniel tells the reader of his struggles through his own words. We follow him on a journey through the medical system which most of us know can leave much to be desired. Yet, this book is not at all dry, like you might expect. Mr. Hotchner has a very eloquent way of telling his story that kept my attention throughout the whole book. It is rare that I put a memoir down and can't wait to get back to reading it. But, I can say that about this story.

The book is organized quite well and flows from when the bullying first starts to present day. There were no major time jumps which made the story easy to follow along. I also encountered only one grammatical error in the entire book which speaks not only of the author's great style of writing but also of great editing and proofreading.

My only complaint about this book (albeit a minor one) is that I'm not sure the author is explicit enough in some details. Most of the time Mr. Hotchner has a great balancing act between too much and too little information. He even goes so far as to tell us which medicines he was taking and how he reacted (without being too technical.) There were just a few times that I felt like he fell off the borderline onto the side where we didn't learn all that I would have liked.

I suppose that you could, also, call this ending a cliffhanger. I think that's not to be avoided, though, as the author is not finished with his journey. I hope that he can post follow-ups to his journey and update his readers. Perhaps, there may even be a future edition or even another book altogether.

Overall, it was a great pleasure to read about such an incredible person. I, therefore, rate Dreaming to Be the Outlier a 4 out of 4 stars. I can only see a couple of people that wouldn't enjoy or benefit from a book such as this. The first would be those that are completely against memoirs. The second would be those that might be triggered by learning of some of the events that took place when Mr. Hotchner was in his darkest moments. Other than that, I highly recommend this book to anyone that enjoys a good, true story.

Dreaming to Be the Outlier
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

How heartbreaking to think of what he went through as a child. Then, of course, there is the aftermath with all it entails. I'm glad the book only had a couple minor setbacks. Thank you for a terrific review!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

It sounds like a fascinating story. Memoirs can be tricky, often the person who has had the experience isn’t the right person to write about, but this sounds like the right man for the Job. Thank you for your informative review.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

SABRADLEY wrote: 20 Apr 2018, 07:30 How heartbreaking to think of what he went through as a child. Then, of course, there is the aftermath with all it entails. I'm glad the book only had a couple minor setbacks. Thank you for a terrific review!
It really is heartbreaking, but yet inspiring. Thanks for your comments!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Helen_Combe wrote: 20 Apr 2018, 07:35 It sounds like a fascinating story. Memoirs can be tricky, often the person who has had the experience isn’t the right person to write about, but this sounds like the right man for the Job. Thank you for your informative review.
Thank you for your comment. Memoirs definitely can be tricky, but Daniel is very intelligent and tells his story very well. I enjoyed it.
—Neil Gaiman
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

For some reason, I've become quite fond of memoirs lately, so this book sounds right up my alley. Thanks for another great review.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This does sound like an intriguing book. It's admirable that the author was able to explain his medical experiences in an understandable way.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

kislany wrote: 20 Apr 2018, 12:06 For some reason, I've become quite fond of memoirs lately, so this book sounds right up my alley. Thanks for another great review.
Then you would really enjoy this way. The writer is quite eloquent in expressing himself. Thanks for your comment! Very much appreciated.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

teacherjh wrote: 20 Apr 2018, 14:57 This does sound like an intriguing book. It's admirable that the author was able to explain his medical experiences in an understandable way.
He is definitely understandable, and yet it's clear he knows quite a bit. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

The author sounds like a very brave and inspiring character. Although I'm not against memoirs, I don't read many and I probably won't make an exception for this, but I appreciated your enthusiastic review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Libs_Books wrote: 20 Apr 2018, 15:54 The author sounds like a very brave and inspiring character. Although I'm not against memoirs, I don't read many and I probably won't make an exception for this, but I appreciated your enthusiastic review.
I understand that. I have to be in the mood for memoirs, but I have read several lately. I probably won't read any more for quite a while now.
—Neil Gaiman
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Bullying upsets me. The consequences can be heartbreaking. I feel for this man who endured such hardship, and I’d be glad to read his inspirational memoir.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

So many of us have experienced the scourge of bullying during our youthful days and sometimes even into our adult years. This book will certainly encourage any of its victims to become triumphant.
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

Memoirs can sometimes be dry or uninteresting but this one despite its sad subject looks like its an interesting book.
bnoy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bnoy.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr

Post by bnoy »

This sounds like such a fantastic read. Often I'm nervous to read a memoir because I find myself asking "why should I care?" because the story is often dry and poorly written, in my experience. Tragic stories can only provide a certain level of interest. However, your review gives me hope that I would appreciate this story for the writing as well as the story!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”