Official Review: Marital Advice to my Grandson, Joel

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Official Review: Marital Advice to my Grandson, Joel

Post by JessNWheeler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Marital Advice to my Grandson, Joel" by Peter Davidson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Most women dream of their wedding day from the time that they are little girls. Men, most often, do not give very much thought to the details of their wedding day. Either way, the really important work begins after the ceremony. Author Peter Davidson shares advice for a happy marriage in Marital Advice to My Grandson, Joel.

When his grandson, Joel, got engaged, Peter Davidson felt compelled to share the wisdom that he had gained from years of married life. First, Peter wants men to understand that women see their husbands as a work-in-progress. She will spend her life training him. Later, Peter gives advice on what to say, and what not to say when a wife asks how she looks in a new outfit.

Aside from advice, the author tells stories that range from humorous to heart-warming. When he and his wife were in the early years of their marriage, money was tight. The owner of a jewelry store allowed Peter to place a ring that his wife adored on a layaway plan. This piece of jewelry became his wife’s favorite ring and she wore it often.

The idea that men are barbarians, and women are self-righteous princesses is outdated and tired. Most of the advice in this book relies on these ideas. If modern, married couples are interested in beating the forty to fifty percent divorce rate, they are going to have to approach marriage with a new mindset. Many women are now the bread-winners of the family, so the marriage dynamic is vastly different. The reasons modern women have to get married are different from the reasons women had forty years ago. I have been with my husband for eighteen years, and I can assure you that I have no interest in training him. That was his mother’s job. Furthermore, women are not great mysteries to decode. I’m quite certain that clear communication will work every time. If you want to know where your wife needs help around the house, simply ask her.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. There were a few misspelled words and other grammar errors in the book. Also, most of the marital advice is outdated. I worry that following this advice will lead to resentment in a modern marriage. However, this is a well-organized and well-written book. I really appreciated the author’s financial advice, and I enjoyed the stories of past experiences in the book. This is a book that older men might enjoy, and the author’s family can cherish for generations.

Marital Advice to my Grandson, Joel
View: on Bookshelves

Like JessNWheeler's review? Post a comment saying so!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

I like your very candid review. I agree that the dynamics of marriage have changed nowadays. Most women today are a lot more independent than older women. I am glad you found some advice here useful. The truth is that every marriage is different. What works for one, may not work for the other. I, therefore, tend to read and apply what is relevant and necessary for my own marriage. I liked your very objective review. Well done!
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Maybe I should send my husband to your mother-in-law. She must have done a good job. My husband could stand to learn a few lessons, but so could I. Which is why we do seek out books to improve our marriage or a short video series even. I actually do find most of them useful and agree that communication is key.

I also agree that the barbarian vs princess view is quite inaccurate, and women are not a great mystery to men who pay attention. It sounds like there could be some good lessons in this book but with so many authors providing marital advice, I think there are probably ones more relevant to my marriage.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I appreciate your honest review and I agree with you that things have changed, but I would like to ask you one question: Are you aware that you have just mentioned a culturally induced preconception in your review? You wrote: "If you want to know where your wife needs help around the house, simply ask her." What you are implying is that women are expected to do the housework and should be content if men offer to help them. What happens if I expect my husband to do the housework? What if I ask him: how can I help you, darling? :) Just saying.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I thought it was helpful to both young and the old couples alike but now I know. I guess I am interested in hearing the stories about the marriage of the author. I m=am not sure if every advice is outdated because some people are obviously conservative and so the book could be appealing to them as well.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Marriage is a refining process. It involves a lot of crossroads where the couples have to meet each other. It is perseverance in the midst of a storm. Only the fittest of marriages survive and is rewarded by ever growing love, respect, and loyalty amongst the couples. Great review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love the idea of this book. Marriages do take work, and I think a lot of people don't realize that going into it. So advice from your own grandfather would probably be very welcome. Plus the variety of stories sounds entertaining. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”