Official Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Official Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial

Post by qsusan »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial" by Terry Higham.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The God Debate - Dawkins In Denial by Terry Higham is a rebuttal of New Atheist theories and arguments as presented by evangelical atheists with particular emphasis on Richard Dawkins, one of the most vocal and zealous. Higham tries to show using both scientific, biblical and historical evidence that the existence of God, while it cannot be fully proven, is impossible to disprove.

The book contends that many atheist beliefs are speculative and lack adequate supporting evidence. It argues that atheist philosophy is scattered with shortcomings and it gives examples to illustrate this point. One such example is the philosophy’s inability to provide a reliable moral compass for societal order.

Higham systematically attacks the credibility of Dawkins’ statements and opinions on subjects such as the validity of miracles and divine phenomena, Catholic doctrine, the question of evil, life after death and the reliability of the Scripture. He also dissects Evolution theory, the Big Bang Theory, Anthropic Principle and the Multiverse Theory to compellingly show that the existence of God is not irreconcilable with science but rather backed by it.

I like that more than sufficient evidence is provided to justify the arguments. It is also admirable that in situations where the evidence was inconclusive, the writer acknowledges the doubtful veracity of his statements. The language is occasionally difficult and a little pedantic, especially when quoting scientists such as Einstein or discussing theories like the Anthropic Principle. However, Higham makes an effort to provide simplified explanations, and thus promotes easier understanding of the text.

Higham’s opinion of Dawkins as stated in the first chapter of the book may have been better placed elsewhere to avoid giving the impression that he was fostering prejudice in readers who are yet to read Dawkins’ book or have not yet heard Dawkins speak. I also feel that it may have been advisable to avoid such strong criticism of Dawkins in the book’s opening chapter as this may preclude advocates of Dawkins’ propaganda from reading any further in the book.

Overall, I find that the book is well-researched, well-referenced and well-written. It convincingly uses logic, reason, and science to show that many New Atheist theories are founded on a fervent lack of belief which hinders critical analysis or verification of facts and the acceptance of theist evidence both proven and unproven. The citation and editing are also excellently carried out. Thus, I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial
View: on Bookshelves

Like qsusan's review? Post a comment saying so!
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Although I respect atheist/agnostic positions, I do get a bit riled by Dawkins' stance on religion, so I'm glad Higham is taking on this debate. There are many eminent scientists who would agree that science is not incompatible with Faith. Thanks for a thoughtful and thought-provoking review.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review, I enjoyed it. I’m afraid I’ve never heard of Dawkins, so the debate would be lost on me.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

Thanks for a great review. I like that the author is addressing topics like the Big Bang and evolution, and is showing God was a part of such things; MANY people think God doesn't exist within science that way, and feel that have to choose a side.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

Sounds like the author did his research on this very deep subject. I don’t know if I could read it even though I am a believer. I applaud you for taking this one on because I think I would find myself not interested in the debate. Thank heavens there are people who love to engage in that, but it’s not my calling. Again, good for you to take this one up and delve into it. Some books have a way of strengthening faith and are necessary to show the truth through various means. I think someone who is on the fence just may find this one of the utmost help. Good job on this review.
Everything happens for a reason...
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Libs_Books wrote: 21 Apr 2018, 03:54 Although I respect atheist/agnostic positions, I do get a bit riled by Dawkins' stance on religion, so I'm glad Higham is taking on this debate. There are many eminent scientists who would agree that science is not incompatible with Faith. Thanks for a thoughtful and thought-provoking review.
Very true. Some arguments how they found themselves a place somewhere on earth is just amazing. It is true that both faith and science can be compatible.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I would love to read this book. The subject of discussion is one of my favourites because I believe that God exists. Knowing there is a book out here that touches on this makes me happy.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Helen_Combe wrote: 21 Apr 2018, 05:26 Great review, I enjoyed it. I’m afraid I’ve never heard of Dawkins, so the debate would be lost on me.
Dawkins passed away recently. He was one of the science geniuses I believe. He acknowledged himself as the greatest atheist.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

cpru68 wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 00:20 Sounds like the author did his research on this very deep subject. I don’t know if I could read it even though I am a believer. I applaud you for taking this one on because I think I would find myself not interested in the debate. Thank heavens there are people who love to engage in that, but it’s not my calling. Again, good for you to take this one up and delve into it. Some books have a way of strengthening faith and are necessary to show the truth through various means. I think someone who is on the fence just may find this one of the utmost help. Good job on this review.
Nice statement there. It is true that we may all not like the same things and that is why the beauty in diversity.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This book definitely sounds a bit too deep for me at the moment. I'm glad the author supports his argument well as I believe that's important in this type of book. Still, I'm going to put this one off until I have my thinking cap on.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Briar Sweet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Briar Sweet »

Thank you for such a thorough review. This book sounds like a great resource for Christian Apologetics courses and Biological Anthropology courses (both of which I have taken) to support Christian beliefs. As someone else here has already said, many people believe that science and faith cannot intersect, but a large sum of scientists of the Judeo-Christan faiths have found further support in their belief in God through science.
+ana
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by +ana »

This book is focused on the topic of the existence of God using scientific evidence along with dissection of many theories.
It's book that should be of interest to the vast majority including atheists.
Especially people who enjoyed the movie "God's not dead"
Tho it's not the number one for fiction lovers as the literature seems to lean closer to a scientific script.
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Briar Sweet wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 11:32 Thank you for such a thorough review. This book sounds like a great resource for Christian Apologetics courses and Biological Anthropology courses (both of which I have taken) to support Christian beliefs. As someone else here has already said, many people believe that science and faith cannot intersect, but a large sum of scientists of the Judeo-Christan faiths have found further support in their belief in God through science.
The courses are above sound incredible. It is nice to learn about how those courses are bringing the idea of faith and science together.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

It sounds like a tough but insightful read. I would hesitate to use the word "propaganda" since it has a negative connotation. However, your review gives a great overview of this book.
Nathan Okafor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathan-okafor.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Nathan Okafor »

Thank you for such a wonderful review. In my opinion I strongly believe that there is a supernatural being ( God) who created the universe and all in it. Atheist use Scientific approach to disprove the existence of God but the same science also often contradicts what they say. Atheists later often realise and come to agree to the fact that truly a God exist. Stephen Hawkings before he died confessed that God exist, Charles Darwin also did the same. If these staunch atheists can come to agree to the fact that God exist even after giving lots of theories, then I think that God really exist.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”