Official Review: Stop Whining; Start Winning by Tom Anstett

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Stop Whining; Start Winning by Tom Anstett

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Stop Whining; Start Winning" by Tom Anstett.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Stop Whining; Start Winning: For Teachers and Coaches is an encouraging and inspiring book written by retired teacher and coach, Tom Anstett.

With foreword by Pat Sullivan, the book is divided into sections, with sections one to three divided into two parts, first part for teachers and second part for coaches, and sections four and five for both. The book also includes an epilogue, acknowledgement and five appendices. Practically, the book is part memoir and part handbook in that the author shares examples of things that really happened in schools throughout the United States and at the same time gives insights on how teachers might deal with unmotivated students. The book includes exercises that the readers can participate in.

The author discusses very important issues including entitlement, inherent qualities of a teacher and a coach, importance of work ethics, advantages of multi-sport participation, and limitations of Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) among others. Moreover, the author gives helpful tips and advice on how to create an environment for good discussion and how to develop relationship, rapport and rigor (3Rs) and shares his personal experiences as a teacher and a coach in dealing with students and parents. Furthermore, the book is filled with beautiful and apparently well-chosen poems like Which Parent Are You? and Drop a Pebble in the Water as well as very interesting stories like the traveler who lost his ticket. Apparently, the author is not just a brilliant teacher and a great coach but also a talented writer. His writing style shifts from formal and academic to casual and conversational. In addition, the author includes a list of his most respected mentors and colleagues and the reasons why he holds them in such high regard.

For me, the most important part of the book is the discernible passion of the author not just for teaching and coaching, but for writing as well. Needless to say, Mr. Tom Anstett does everything (teaching, coaching, writing, parenting) wholeheartedly, something for everyone to emulate.

The part I like most about the book is the author’s emphasis on his parents and his parents’ examples. In our present society where people usually opt for what is easy, parents who take time to teach their children the importance of work ethics, respect for people and property, and appreciation and satisfaction for a job well done through example is a rare and commendable thing.

However, since the book is intended to aid teachers and coaches and is written to serve that purpose, other readers may not appreciate the book as much as teachers and coaches might do. That may limit the overall readership of the book. Moreover, there are noticeable typo errors within the entire book (like how would be able to give, why should be get any homework, and players’ metal, physical and emotional development).

I, therefore, rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I am a teacher myself and I find the book inspiring, encouraging, well-researched and well-referenced. I recommend it to teachers, coaches and school administrators.

Stop Whining; Start Winning
View: on Bookshelves

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

This sounds fantastic! Teachers need all the help they can get these days with unmotivated students being the norm. Too bad about the numerous typos. I hope it’s not too distracting. Thanks for a great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Sounds like a very educational book for those struggling to deal with the newest generation of students. Great review. I don't fall in the category for the intended audience but it's nice to know that an enjoyable book is out there for those who could really relate to the issues.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

stacie k wrote: 20 Apr 2018, 00:21 This sounds fantastic! Teachers need all the help they can get these days with unmotivated students being the norm. Too bad about the numerous typos. I hope it’s not too distracting. Thanks for a great review!
You're welcome. It's one great book.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

kfwilson6 wrote: 20 Apr 2018, 09:14 Sounds like a very educational book for those struggling to deal with the newest generation of students. Great review. I don't fall in the category for the intended audience but it's nice to know that an enjoyable book is out there for those who could really relate to the issues.
Thank you very much. It's a very helpful book for teachers and coaches.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

A book for coaches on coaching seems to be a necessity. I would liken it to a book on parenting for parents. It sounds like the author might have limited his audience a bit on this one, but maybe that is just the way it goes. I would think even a parent who volunteers for a child's sports team would find it helpful even just to monitor his or her child's behavior and give tips. We have become a society that whines too quick, I think. And, I believe it is because it has been tolerated and we don't expect more. I know there are parents in the stands who push, push, push and act horrible, but for the most part, I don't think kids are given the potential to reach their goals by the way we let so many things slip. This book sounds like a nice balance of being a good coach who expects great results with the talent before him. Thank you for this insightful review.
Everything happens for a reason...
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Just by the topic, I could see that this book is truly a well-rounded motivational and educational book. I applaud the author for sharing his insightful strategies on how to become a winner at all levels.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

I can see how this book could be useful to people working with disengaged students - I think it's probably one of those books that you have to catch at the right time in your career.
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

This book seems to be a very useful aid to teachers. Unmotivated students are the bane of all teachers and ways to motivate such students would be greatly appreciated by the ones who read this book.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

cpru68 wrote: 20 Apr 2018, 13:12 A book for coaches on coaching seems to be a necessity. I would liken it to a book on parenting for parents. It sounds like the author might have limited his audience a bit on this one, but maybe that is just the way it goes. I would think even a parent who volunteers for a child's sports team would find it helpful even just to monitor his or her child's behavior and give tips. We have become a society that whines too quick, I think. And, I believe it is because it has been tolerated and we don't expect more. I know there are parents in the stands who push, push, push and act horrible, but for the most part, I don't think kids are given the potential to reach their goals by the way we let so many things slip. This book sounds like a nice balance of being a good coach who expects great results with the talent before him. Thank you for this insightful review.
You're welcome. It's a great book and I enjoyed reading it. It seems like you and the author have the same point of view regarding kids today :)
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

crediblereading2 wrote: 20 Apr 2018, 14:12 Just by the topic, I could see that this book is truly a well-rounded motivational and educational book. I applaud the author for sharing his insightful strategies on how to become a winner at all levels.
Thank you for your comment. It's a really helpful book for teachers and coaches.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Libs_Books wrote: 20 Apr 2018, 14:30 I can see how this book could be useful to people working with disengaged students - I think it's probably one of those books that you have to catch at the right time in your career.
Yes, it is a book on how to motivate students and players.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

qsusan wrote: 21 Apr 2018, 03:29 This book seems to be a very useful aid to teachers. Unmotivated students are the bane of all teachers and ways to motivate such students would be greatly appreciated by the ones who read this book.
Yes, it is. And though I'm not a school teacher but a private tutor, I appreciate the tips and advice from the author.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”