Official Review: The Stress Solution

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ScoutWrites
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Ink Spills
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scoutwrites.html
Latest Review: A Second, Less Capable Head by James Hanna

Official Review: The Stress Solution

Post by ScoutWrites »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Stress Solution" by Arthur P. Ciaramicoli, Ed.D.,Ph.D..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Stress Solution: Using Empathy and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy to Reduce Anxiety and Develop Resilience by Arthur P. Ciaramicoli, is a self-help book which seeks to help readers live a heathly, stress-free lifestyle. Dr. Ciaramicoli begins by discussing the harmful effects of stress on the human body. The author then introduces his method of reducing stress through a combination of empathy and cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT).

Empathy is the practice of truly understanding another person's experiences, which can help us negotiate and resolve conflicts. Dr. Ciaramicoli says everyone is born with a capacity for empathy, but it must be constantly and carefully developed. Once we do develop empathy, it reduces our own stress as well as the stress of those to whom we show it. And once we show others empathy, we become more likely to receive empathy.

CBT is basically a way of retraining our brains to think more positively, so we feel more positively, so our actions become more positive. The book provides a glossary of cognitive distortions, or negative thought patterns, that CBT aims to correct. For example, assumed similarity means thinking others believe and perceive the same way you do, and magnifying means you view your mistakes as much larger than they truly are. Empathy helps us understand what is really going on around us so we can use CBT to correct our thinking, thereby reducing stress. At the time of writing this book, the author had spent 35 years using empathic CBT to help his clients reduce stress.

Each chapter provides insights into different concepts related to empathy or CBT, including examples from some of his clients. This is followed by journal questions and a call to action. The author strongly encourages the reader to actually answer these questions in a journal, discuss answers with a loved one, and put the newly learned principles into action, to truly gain from reading this resource. The book also includes an appendix with questionnaires to assess stress, empathy, and performance addiction. These questionnaires are meant to be filled out before and after reading to assess progress.

I picked up this book primarily because of the word "anxiety" in the subtitle, as anxiety is something with which I have struggled throughout my life. I also believed myself to be stressed, but after completing the stress questionnaire at the end of the book, I realized my stress levels are low and what I perceive as stress has actually been anxiety. With this in mind, I continued to read the book, answering journal questions along the way and making discoveries about my past and how I developed the negative thoughts and cognitive distortions that cause me anxiety in the present.

I think this book is an excellent resource for anyone who suffers from stress or anxiety. The most valuable thing to me was the emphasis on correcting cognitive distortions, because I think many of us go through life thinking these false, poisonous thoughts about ourselves and others, which puts us in a negative mood but also seriously impairs our ability to connect with one another. I also found value in the examples the author gave from some of his clients, which helped me realize how isolated we can become when we do not practice empathy and when we allow our minds to be dominated by these cognitive distortions.

This was a much different reading experience than I am used to, because I like to blast through a book as quickly as possible, whereas the author recommends taking this one at the pace of a chapter every few days. This advice makes sense because to get the most out of it, you need to give yourself time to reflect on each chapter and the two or three cognitive distortions discussed within, focusing on whether you have those thoughts and working on reversing them if you do. Another thing that made this book difficult for me was delving into my past to find the source of my negative self image. This might be easy for someone with abusive or highly critical parents or siblings, but for me it was difficult to remember anyone but myself being critical of me. That being said, I am glad for the opportunity to spend some time thinking about that and digging deep to find the source.

Overall, I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because I think it is a powerful resource for reducing stress and anxiety as well as mending strained relationships. The author speaks from a place of experience and wisdom, but manages to explain all the concepts in a way anyone can understand. One thing that struck me was the author's ability to explain the difference between empathy and sympathy, which I always thought I understood but now realize I did not.

Personally, I plan to keep returning to this book for as long as it takes to recognize my cognitive distortions and reverse them so I can set myself free from anxiety. Already I am recognizing these faulty thought patterns when I am at work, and as I remind myself to correct those patterns, I experience a reduction in my anxiety. I am also reminding myself to practice empathy as I interact with hundreds of people each day. I hope to see this book make an impact on improving my life overall.

The Stress Solution
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ScoutWrites's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I have found CBT to be an excellent tool for depression also. Training your brain to re-write the cognitive distortions is very healing.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I wholeheartedly believe almost everything you have written in your review concerning this author'work. When we empathize with others in their distresses, it is likely that we will receive the same treatment when we face ours. We revealing review.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

It is hard looking at yourself and realizing you have faulty thinking. Even harder is replacing them with more positive ones. But it can be done as the author shows. I had a problem with anger resulting from my childhood and it was hard sorting all those emotions out. Our thoughts are connected to our behavior. Thank you for your honest review.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

That's a really great recommendation - thank you so much for your honesty in sharing your experience.
AbigailAwuku
Currently Reading: Perfect Husband
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AbigailAwuku »

For the look of things, the book will be very interesting and even help me
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

Never thought that empathy is so important in reducing stress. I will think about this more often. I am glad you found the book useful and I hope I will like it too. In our society there is just too much stress for one person. Thank you for the review!
ScoutWrites
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Ink Spills
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scoutwrites.html
Latest Review: A Second, Less Capable Head by James Hanna

Post by ScoutWrites »

Laura Ungureanu wrote: 02 May 2018, 13:25 Never thought that empathy is so important in reducing stress. I will think about this more often. I am glad you found the book useful and I hope I will like it too. In our society there is just too much stress for one person. Thank you for the review!
It almost seems counterintuitive, doesn't it? I've heard some people say that to reduce stress, you should stop caring about others and focus on your own issues. While I think that is true to some extent, it was interesting to see the argument that understanding the way others feel can actually reduce your own stress.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”