Official Review: Tell Me Your Story: How Therapy Works to Awaken, Heal, and Set You Free by Tuya Pearl

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Official Review: Tell Me Your Story: How Therapy Works to Awaken, Heal, and Set You Free by Tuya Pearl

Post by bluegreenmarina »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tell Me Your Story: How Therapy Works to Awaken, Heal, and Set You Free" by Tuya Pearl.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

One of the qualities that separate humanity from other life forms is our capacity for storytelling, and specifically, our ability to conceptualize and relate our own stories to one another. Author and therapist Tuya Pearl emphasizes the transformational power of storytelling in her book Tell Me Your Story. More than just a self-help book, this is an introduction to the process of therapy, and an invitation to partake in a deep and profound inner search with the eventual goal of opening new avenues for self-fulfillment and personal freedom.

The author suggests that all of us carry wounds caused by other people, and that it takes a certain level of bravery to engage in the process of uncovering those wounds in a therapeutic setting. She starts by telling her own story, explaining how a childhood spent with her verbally abusive mother eventually lead to a career in psychotherapy, and how she has always been drawn to others' sad stories, considering it her life purpose to bring relief and empathy. The author then explains how shame and poor familial communication has a stunting influence on adult development, and defines the concepts of codependency and emotional manipulation.

Throughout the book, as an illustration to the concepts relayed in each chapter, Pearl has included real case studies of past clients who exhibit one or more of the difficulties she discusses. Additional topics that are covered include neurotic behavior, bereavement, PTSD, and addiction. She emphasizes the shame-based origins of addictive behavior, suggesting that many bad habits, addictions, compulsions, and neuroses are simply avoidance strategies caused by distorted thinking and repressed guilt. In addition to providing specific practices to address these behavioral issues, the author stresses the importance of a spiritual faith practice, and the role of trust in a Higher Power within the process of recovery. Finally, she rounds out the book with a discussion of the act of love in a long-term relationship, and the vital role of gratitude and mindfulness in finding not only happiness, but lasting joy.

One of the best aspects of this book, in addition to its content, is the format and layout. Each chapter is short and manageable, written in impeccable yet simple language, and presents the concepts in a logical order. As each new topic is covered, examples from actual case studies allow the author to discuss patterns of thought and behavior in specific terms and allow the reader to understand the progression of the clients through therapy. We learn what steps each client took to address his or her own life challenges, and how successful the methods were. This also breaks up the theoretical sections of the book and allows the mind to rest and digest the information before moving on to the next topic.

The author's personal touch and willingness to share her own story also made the book relatable and made the process of reading feel more like a conversation between friends. The author admits her own shortcomings, shares her own neuroses and fears, and explains the steps she has also had to take to address some of their manifestations. She also explains to readers exactly what they can expect from a therapeutic relationship, from the first session to the last, greatly demystifying the concept of therapy for those who have never experienced it. For this reason, I would highly recommend it to someone who is considering therapy but is not sure what to expect, or how to best prepare. However, even readers with vast experience with therapy are likely to find this a useful guide to investing in their personal health and relationships. Each page is packed with profound wisdom and helpful suggestions.

The one thing I noticed that may be off-putting to some readers is the author's references to prayer, faith, and belief in God. Though this was not heavy-handed, it is clear throughout the book that the author considers faith a significant aspect of recovery, yet she does not directly address the process of developing a faith. Readers who are not familiar with religious practices, or who consider themselves atheists, may not relate to these sections of the book. Nonetheless, her emphasis is on the empowering nature of a connection to the God of our understanding, and the book is never preachy. Those who do already feel a spiritual connection are likely to appreciate the encouragement. I rate this work 4 out of 4 stars and consider it a thorough and well-thought-out introduction to therapy, and guide to improving our lives - one that is likely to benefit almost any reader.

Tell Me Your Story: How Therapy Works to Awaken, Heal, and Set You Free
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bluegreenmarina's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm not usually into self-help books, but I agree that I think we've all been wounded in some way or other. It sounds like the author does a great job with this book, and I am interested in seeing what she has to say. Plus I love that the chapters are short and manageable. Thanks for another good review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

bluegreenmarina wrote: 17 Apr 2018, 13:23
She also explains to readers exactly what they can expect from a therapeutic relationship, from the first session to the last, greatly demystifying the concept of therapy for those who have never experienced it. For this reason, I would highly recommend it to someone who is considering therapy but is not sure what to expect, or how to best prepare.
This could really have a strong impact on someone. Oftentimes, uncertainty can be very discouraging for people when engaging in a new endeavor. Fear can result from not knowing what to expect. Once you know how something is to be done, a lot of the anxiety associated with doing it can fade away. It is great that the author can enlighten readers about this. Very thorough review. Thank you for sharing.
Prissy16
Currently Reading: The Disembodied
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Prissy16 »

It must be an inspiring to acknowledge someone for especially the wounded ones. It takes a big heart to uncover the fear and pains and forgiving wrongdoers. Surely this is a nice on e.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I think the case studies would be very helpful to see how the theoretical concepts play out in a real life situation. It sounds like this book could be of real help to people who are hurting and would like to begin the process of healing. Thank you for a well-done review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

This sounds absolutely wonderful! I think many people stuff down their feelings and their stories and continue to walk in agony. This book sounds like it can lend freedom to those who are self improsoned by the past. I like that it’s written in a simple way, and including spirituality to help heal is always a good solution. I enjoyed reading your review.
Everything happens for a reason...
Zapsematt
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Zapsematt »

This sounds absolutely wonderful! I think many people stuff down their feelings and their stories and continue to walk in agony. This book sounds like it can lend freedom to those who are self improsoned by the past. I like that it’s written in a simple way, and including spirituality to help heal is always a good solution. I enjoyed reading your review.
Janvipatel
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Janvipatel »

The author has really written down all her emotions well and this book can definitely help people experiencing pain or some problems with their lives and it is comprehensible ...and I really loved it!
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

Thd author is right in this; I do not believe it is possible to live without hurting others. If everyone is an assailant, then everyone, likely, is also a victim to some degree.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

I'm a big fan of the uses of narrative and this sounds like a really worthwhile book - I don't think the 'Higher Power' stuff would put me off. Thanks for a very clear and helpful review.
Jamasenu
Favorite Author: Valerie Wilson Wesley
Currently Reading: Change Your Thinking Transform Your Life: 21 Truths to Renew Your Mind in Christ
Bookshelf Size: 1547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamasenu.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 125603

Post by Jamasenu »

This is really interesting. The author opens up about her life and what she endured. The things we hold onto, will affect us in some form or fashion. This self-help book will open eyes and make people acknowledge their faults.
To survive, you must tell stories.
― Umberto Eco, The Island of the Day Before

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”