Official Review: Prepare Now for a Challenging Job Market...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Prepare Now for a Challenging Job Market...

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Prepare Now for a Challenging Job Market in the Future" by Dr. Daniel Vale.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Remember how simple it was looking for your first job? Driving around (or being driven around by a parent), putting in applications, maybe practicing interview questions a little and then getting hired; it was nerve-wracking waiting for those phone calls for interviews, but it seemed so much simpler then. Heck, I've seen fast food places with open interviews that hire people within an hour of walking in the door! All sorts of things can be factors of finding a job that pays serious bills, though, from basics like a well-written resume and determination to an education, networking with the right people, searching online for jobs and even being careful with your own personal social media accounts so that you won't scare off or offend potential bosses. And the troubles don't even end once you get the job!

Dr. Daniel W. Vale aims to bolster job seekers in every possible way with his book Prepare Now for a Challenging Job Market in the Future, from the importance of being in good shape to the benefits of volunteer work; from finding a hobby to getting out of debt and having a good amount of savings. I'll admit this had me worried quite a bit for a book that was only 49 pages long; it seemed like maybe the author was trying to do too much with so little room to do it and would just barely touch every topic. Boy was I wrong! Yes, these six chapters have to share less than 50 pages, but these pages are overflowing with great content and loads of links for additional information! Dr. Vale makes it very clear that searching for a job isn't enough, and that there's far more to it than just the job search itself.

The book begins with an introduction that discusses various forces that make finding jobs difficult - jobs disappearing to automation, a potential economic downturn, and the difficulties of previous generations being unable to afford retirement and holding onto their jobs longer. Chapter one jumps into the importance of getting out of debt and getting a solid amount of money saved. Dr. Vale writes that "someone eating in a restaurant, for example, would not eat every food choice available in that restaurant. Likewise, someone with a goal to save money probably would not adopt all of the money saving strategies that follow." This advice for his ideas fits for the entirety of the book as well, as each chapter is full of nearly countless pieces of potential advice. For example, in the first chapter he mentions things like taking CLEP tests to save on courses in college, living a minimalist lifestyle, carpooling, living with family and avoiding impulse buys. He is quick to say, however, that it's important to buy healthy food since junk food leads to bad health.

Bad health is something that's covered in various chapters in the book, as well as its own entire chapter. Since Dr. Vale's other book is called Proper Exercise Primes Preppers for Disasters, this is clearly a focus of his in general, but it's fitting here as well. Better health means less sick days, for example, which is beneficial for both the employer and the employee. Other chapters include running a small business, the benefits of having a hobby and of course developing job search and survival skills. It's interesting how all of these sections come together for creating essentially a "super job hunter" but also a balanced, full life. Having savings means that if you're laid off you'll be okay for a while and won't merely take the first job offer that comes along, and hobbies not only help a person relax and lead a fuller life, they can be beneficial for employers as well!

As I said, this book is short but bursting with information. There's no fluff here (aside from perhaps a bit in the job search/survival chapter), and there are dozens of links throughout the book for additional information and advice. At the end of the debt and savings chapter there's a link to over 50 tips for saving money, most of which aren't covered in the book. I'll admit I didn't thoroughly test these links, but every single one of them I did check worked perfectly.

Aside from the book slowing down a bit in the job search/survival chapter and a few errors, this was an incredible guide. It was great seeing something that covered every aspect of not only finding a job but keeping one and preparing for the next job search or potential layoff. I've read books that go into far more detail, sure, but Dr. Vale gives countless solid, interesting and helpful pieces of advice, and he encourages people to research more on their own. At the very least, this makes for an excellent starting place for anyone who's the least bit interested in the job market. My rating of Prepare Now for a Challenging Job Market in the Future is 4 out of 4 stars.

Prepare Now for a Challenging Job Market in the Future
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I'm glad to see a straightforward book about this subject matter. Job-searching can be extremely befuddling and intimidating to a newcomer or seasoned professional, new to today's job market. I'm glad you enjoyed it and feel like I would as well. Thanks for a great review!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

This sounds like a practical and valuable tool for those with the overwhelming task of seeking a job in today's competitive marketplace! I love that it is short in length yet packed with information and links for further research if you are interested. I also love that the author is interested in not only helping you land a job but also to be a healthy and well-rounded individual. Great review for what sounds like a great book!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

CataclysmicKnight wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 00:00 Dr. Vale makes it very clear that searching for a job isn't enough, and that there's far more to it than just the job search itself.
Well, that certainly sounds like very wise advice. I'm a bit puzzled by the advice on debt, though - I imagine it would be particularly difficult to get out of debt if you were unemployed.
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

Thanks for the review! As someone who is about to graduate college, I need all the advice I can get about searching for jobs and it seems like this book could really help me out.
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Al Chakauya »

It's very rare to find a good book with only 49 pages. This seems like a practical and helpful book not only to novice job seekers but to those who are employed as well as the book also has hints on how to save money. I am glad the book seeks to build a "full being" as it also touches on health. I am glad you enjoyed the book. Thanks for the splendid review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”