Official Review: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Official Review: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation

Post by Tbunde5 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There have been countless Bible storybooks written for people of all ages. In I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation by Val D. Greenwood, we are presented with a compilation of Old Testament stories that goes a step beyond the expected. While all the well-known stories -- from Cain and Abel to David and Goliath –- are certainly present, the author also includes many less-familiar stories that help to make this book more than a collection of disparate stories. Instead, it becomes a seamless history of the children of Israel. For example, Greenwood includes not only the captivity in Babylon but also the two separate returns from exile, first to rebuild the temple, and then to rebuild the city walls. Greenwood focuses on the historical books and, except for the book of Job, leaves out the books of poetry, like Psalms and Proverbs. He places the books of prophecy, like Isaiah and Jeremiah, into their historical context.

As a student of Scripture, I will agree with the author that there are many parts of the Old Testament that are difficult to read and understand. Add to that the fact that, as presented in the Bible, these books are not presented chronologically, and many people don’t even bother to read them. Greenwood arranges his stories in chronological order, so that the history presented makes sense. This is especially helpful with the books of Kings and Chronicles, which tell the history of the kingdoms of Judah and Israel from two different viewpoints. He seamlessly weaves the history together in a way that makes it much more coherent. Included in his retelling are historical accounts that allow the reader to follow the history of God’s people from creation to captivity and the return from exile.

The author also includes several appendices in the back, including maps, pronunciation guides, and a glossary of people. I especially appreciated the glossary, because there are so many people and places in the Old Testament that it’s easy to lose track. He also has endnotes throughout, which help to explain events or terms that may be unfamiliar. In the eBook, the reader can simply click on the number to toggle back and forth.

I very much appreciate the author’s complete historical retelling of the Old Testament. Though I have been a student of Scripture for over 50 years, I found myself opening my Bible and rereading the stories in their original form. He does an excellent job of retelling the stories and staying true to the Scriptural accounts. The one exception is his retelling of the Creation. There are currently two schools of thought among Christians about the length of the days of Creation. I am a Creationist, and the author is not. He goes into detail about the possible length of the six days, which allows for reconciling the Bible with science. Creationists take the Bible at its word and “evening and morning” denotes one 24-hour day. Putting that aside, I am not aware of any Christian teaching that God did not actually create the universe out of nothing, but instead simply arranged material available to bring forth life. I speak of this, not to engage in doctrinal debate, but instead because the distinction will narrow the author’s desired audience. In no other story did he add or subtract from the story as written in the Bible. I almost deleted the book on that merit myself, but I’m very glad I kept reading. The rest of the book would make an excellent companion book to a study of the Old Testament.

This book was obviously professionally edited. There were typographical errors and a few mechanical errors, but they did not detract from the story. There were frequent formatting errors, where half a page is left blank. I don’t know if this is a problem with the Kindle format or not, but it was distracting.

The author writes using language and grammatical style that is reminiscent of the King James translation of the Bible. For example, “When Jacob had learned of the destruction that Simeon and Levi had wrought in the city of Shechem….” When anyone is speaking to God, he speaks with “Thee” and “Thou.” For young children, or those unfamiliar with that style, it may be difficult to read. For this reason, as well as the inclusion of Biblical events that include rape and incest, this book is most appropriate for teens and adults. That being said, students of Scripture would benefit from reading this book. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Tbunde5's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

There is a lot that can be confusing about the Old Testament, so it's nice that someone put it into something more readable. It sounds like this is more of a history of God's children. It's too bad about the formatting, but it still sounds readable. Thanks for giving us an intro to this book.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Stitzel2016
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Stitzel2016 »

I always have thought that the Old Testament is confusing and hard to understand.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

It sounds like this would be very helpful in grasping the big picture of the Old Testament. Thank you for your thoughts on this book!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I am currently reading the Bible from cover to cover, and by the end of this year, I will have read it through completely. The Old Testament is a challenge, and I applaud a book as you have described here that tries to take away some of the difficulty. I appreciate you pointing out that this book is not young children due to its graphic content. Some people might not have considered this. Thank you for your review.
Everything happens for a reason...
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

The Bible states that nothing should be added or subtracted to its words but I am not so sure about reconstructing parts of it. Thank you though for your excellent review.
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

Yes, it is very important not to add or subtract from the Bible. I personally suspect that the days in the six days are not 24-hour days but I am also convinced and sure that God created the world out of nothing. As long as the author adds a caveat that it is just his belief or personal opinion, I think it should be fine.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Reading half-way through the review made me realize that indeed the book is worth being read. I like the review as it is skillfully written and the contents of the book entails some stories not included in the Bible. I would love to read this.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Stitzel2016 wrote: 18 Apr 2018, 10:29 I always have thought that the Old Testament is confusing and hard to understand.
It takes some study to understand it but some books are not that hard to understand in the OT. Talk of some like Judges and you find that some do not have a lot of complexities.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Jamasenu
Favorite Author: Valerie Wilson Wesley
Currently Reading: Change Your Thinking Transform Your Life: 21 Truths to Renew Your Mind in Christ
Bookshelf Size: 1547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamasenu.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 125603

Post by Jamasenu »

:tiphat: I'm in the process of furthering my walk with God and getting more in-depth information will assist me tremendously. I like the fact that he's not overlooking the most important books in the Bible. Their existence describes the story leading up to the New Testament and Jesus. I'm adding this book to my to-read shelf.
To survive, you must tell stories.
― Umberto Eco, The Island of the Day Before
mercylynne
Currently Reading: China Rich Girlfriend (Crazy Rich Asians #2)
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercylynne.html
Latest Review: A Police Action by A. A. Freda

Post by mercylynne »

Reading the old testament is not easy as most words and places are so confusing ,this book is definitely worth checking out despite the few observed errors.
tramadam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by tramadam »

It is so interesting to know how most of us understand about the old testament.all the books in the bible are important to us.and don't forget no word should be added or subtracted form the bible.but anyway thanks for excellent review.
Gracedscribe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gracedscribe.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Gracedscribe »

This was a great review for its honesty and objectivity! I'd love to read the book based on your review of it! Have you read "Gods and Kings" by Lynn Austin? I think you would enjoy it!
Wriley
Favorite Book: Executive Hoodlum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wriley.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Wriley »

I like that the author placed events in chronically order because that issue has always confused me with the Old Testament. The book does sound like an excellent study guide for the Bible really stories. I personally don't care what others believe on Creation. My background is in environmental biology and I think science supports creation over millions of years guided by God.
Logic will get you from A to Z
But Imagination will get you
EVERYWHERE

Albert Einstein
Dragonfly6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonfly6.html
Latest Review: Why can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Dragonfly6 »

Although I wasn't sure was this book was exactly about, I understand after reading your review. This sounds like it would be a good book to read for anyone seeking to understand stories in the Bible better, or even to understand it more completely.

Personally, it is not a book that sounds interesting to me, but I am able to make that decision based on your thorough review. Thank you!
"A room without books is like a body without a soul." ~ Cicero

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”