Official Review: It's Easier to Dance

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Re: Official Review: It's Easier to Dance

Post by Jude Austin »

Sounds like an inspiring story by a woman who refused to let her circumstances and problems define her! Not sure it's one for me but thanks for a great review!
jgraney8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgraney8.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jgraney8 »

The review by EmunahAn of It’s Easier to Dance: Living Beyond Boundaries, the memoir of Annie L. Harris summarizes the life of an African-American woman facing the challenges of cerebral palsy from her birth in the 1940s. The review gives us many reasons to read the book and follow the story of Ms. Harris, who maintains a positive attitude in the face of her many difficulties. EmunahAn reviewer also warns us about the grammatical shortcomings of the book and possible frustrations in reading it. I found the review helpful in determining whether or not to read the book.
“On the highest throne in the world, we still sit only on our own bottom.”
― Michel de Montaigne, The Complete Essays
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris

Post by MarisaRose »

Wow, it’s great to hear that this book influenced you! That’s a sign of a great and admirable writer. Too bad about the errors though. Thanks for the insightful review.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

A finely written memoir, covering the life of a woman who has gone through various phases of societal development from the 40's, 50's and throughout the many decades comprising her lifetime. Her viewpoint may be personal as a woman, as a minority, and as an individual with a developmental disability. It is interesting to know how he coped up with these very issues, as regards to her personal beliefs and as regards the cultural upheavals of a society on the process of transformation.
Thanks for your interesting review.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
jennyd2003
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyd2003.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

Post by jennyd2003 »

Good review. I don't usually like memoirs but this one sounds intriguing. I think I'm going to read this one.
lionmoon_3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lionmoon-3.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by lionmoon_3 »

It's Easier to Dance
I have worked with disabled people both here and overseas. My sister was also disabled. This story deeply touched me. I long believed that the undervaluing of people with disabilities was a difficult cultural issue that is hard to change. This woman is definitely an example of what a person can accomplish with determination and faith. So many of those I have had the privilege to serve had been abused, and still functioned in a system that believes in administering too many drugs. So many had abilities that were just not developed.
Many people wouldn't believe that in Israel, there are kibbutzim where the disabled run the community, marry, and have 'normal' lives. What a stark contrast to what is still a painful life for many here in the States.
I would take my clients out to local restaurants. I don't know if anyone in the 'normal' society ever got used to seeing them. I applaud this woman and her accomplishments and hope others will be touched by her story and maybe be more open minded and accepting. She says she offers hope, and indeed she does by the example of her life!
todwyer01
Currently Reading: From the Fatherland with love
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-todwyer01.html

Post by todwyer01 »

A well researched and interesting novel that is tackling a wide range of social issues. From from reading a short sample, it is clear that the story has potential. Well done.
jessicawallace6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessicawallace6.html
Latest Review: The Broadcast by Liam Fialkov

Post by jessicawallace6 »

I'm definitely very interested in reading this after seeing your review! I think Annie's story is a true inspiration to those of us who call ourselves intersectional feminists, and I think reading the book might help a little of her strength and optimism to rub off on me!
SaffraWhishart
Currently Reading: The Candle Room
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saffrawhishart.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by SaffraWhishart »

Yes, unfortunately it was rare for me to get through one paragraph without noticing errors. The author mentions at the beginning that her husband edited the book, & she definitely needs a professional.

Normally so many errors would bother me to the point that I couldn't keep reading. However, the author is such a powerful narrator, and the subject matter is so important, that I intend to finish this book--although maybe a little at a time.

As a person who lives with disability far less crippling than the author's, I can attest to the many difficulties people with disabilities still face. This incredibly powerful story needs a wider audience; I hope the author is able to get the professional editing that could help make that possible.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

First, I have to apologise because from the title of the book I assumed this to be a self-help book and was not keen at all. Good thing I still read the review and it changed my thoughts not only regarding the actual subject matter, but also about the general view of life. Persons with disabilities/diseases tend to withdraw themselves, thinking they are burdens to others. Needless to say, Anne's outlook of and approach to life will be a truly inspiring story, if not lesson, to us all. I intend to read this book.
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

Thanks for the review. It's unfortunate to hear about the grammatical errors but the story still seems very inspiring. I'll be adding this one to my shelf! :)
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

It definitely sounds like a great motivational book about overcoming societal obstacles and handling one's own medical situations.
eddix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddix.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by eddix »

Thanks for this enlightening review. The sample was very short, but it caught my interest, and your review has strengthened my desire to read the entire book. I'm curious to know how the author overcame her challenges.
Wisarut Supannafai9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71

Post by Wisarut Supannafai9 »

This is a short memoire that tells a real- life story. Annie Laurie Meachem, who has brain abnormalities causes her difficulties. Throughout her entire life, she had to resist and endure hardship and never gave up. I love the way that she learns to tame the mind to changing circumstances depending on social constraint such as ethnicity, life style, religious belief and spiritual practices. After her 40 years of age, she begins to contemplete on every possibility of gain-and-loss attitude toward her life. It's about sadness, disappointment, confusion and angry. Until now, she has to learn and get through life difficulties even though she has physical constraint, but her mindset is filled with determination. The tool that she uses to understand the world has influenced me "to see the reality as it is". Positivity is a key to live an optimal life. I love keep that in mind.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I really like her spirit. The strong positive spirit and never-give-up taught by her mother. A special gift that her mother gave her for life. Everyone has something to learn from this read. Thank you!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”