Official Review: It's Easier to Dance

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemp1kor.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00GNKRFEA

Re: Official Review: It's Easier to Dance

Post by kemp1kor »

Sounds like an inspiring and uplifting story. Staying positive can’t be easy for people with health conditions and other things working against them.
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

The author is so brave to write a book about her disability. I'm glad you liked the book. I liked that the book was divided into different chapters and well organized. It's too bad about all the grammatical errors. Thanks for your review.
Merryt
Favorite Book: It's Easier to Dance
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Merryt »

I started reading this wonderful book and couldn't stop. Being disabled for most of my adult life, I found so many encouraging things that I had to keep on until I finished reading. I feel that Anne was giving me information that only some one that had gone through what she did during her life could. I relate to the stigma that is so often placed on the disabled that are older and need assistance with daily living but can still take care of themselves for things like paying bills and taking their medications. Just because we sometimes forget something doesn't mean we are losing our minds and need to be put into an institution. She paved the way for us in so many ways and has shown that we are all of the human race no matter of age,religion,race or disability. Thank for the privilege of being able to meet such a wonderful and gifted person through her book.
Gods Monkey
Currently Reading: The Morning Mind
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gods-monkey.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Gods Monkey »

I appreciate this reviewer taking into account the editing errors when deciding the rating. With that being said I look forward to reading this book. So often those that have a disability let it negatively impact their life. As a high functioning disabled person I struggle to find role models for living a productive life. This author sounds like just that.
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

This book sounds amazingly inspirational and uplifting, albeit emotional. It's a shame about the grammatical errors, but I'm sure those will be fixed in future editions. Thank you for the helpful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I'm a sucker for good inspirational stories. Living in the 1940's as an African-American must've been tough, so I can't imagine the challenges that an African-American with cerebral palsy might have faced.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

The author is indeed a strong and brave woman. I like the plot of the book as it outlines various stages/aspects of the life of the author. Thanks for the review.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

I love the author’s tenacity and endurance. Her refusal to allow the opinions of others to limit her is beyond inspiring. I also like that she is a witness to so much history.
Samanthajayne12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samanthajayne12.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Samanthajayne12 »

This sounds like such a lovely and positive story! Learning how to overcome your difficulties and not letting anything or anyone hold you back is such a great character trait to possess. I imagine this book to be very influential.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I am impressed by Annie's struggle to overcome her condition and refusal to see herself as a victim. Her story becomes an example of strong will and determination. She succeeds in her endeavor to live an independent life although she has to fight against people's prejudices and social stereotypes. Thank you for your review of this inspirational memoir!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Mary WhiteFace
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: Elemental Magic
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-whiteface.html
Latest Review: Bravehorse Adventures by Louise Cleveland
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

The word "dis"-abled has such a negative stigma attached to it that most people find it difficult to accept that they "are" able to achieve much more than society believes they can.

One part of your review really stood out to me. "Annie L. Harris does not view herself as a victim but as a person who has a lot to offer the world and all those around her." I love that she realized that about herself.

Thank you for pointing out the structure of the book. I would think that having the chapters set up this way would give the book more of a feel of memoirs than if it was just written as a story.

I believe that many people will be inspired by her story, as you were, and as I'm sure I will be. Your well written review will also be an inspiration for others to read her story.
CaitlynLynch
Currently Reading: Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration
Bookshelf Size: 3245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlynlynch.html
Latest Review: The Hand That Feeds You by Amos Cartell
Reading Device: B01AZ7LQ00

Post by CaitlynLynch »

What a shame about the editing! I hope the author takes your comments to heart and finds an editor to help make this book all it should be.
Karencantley1
Favorite Book: The Prize
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karencantley1.html
Latest Review: Going Gone by Abraham Lopez

Post by Karencantley1 »

‪Memoirs are not normally my thing but this one does sound truely inspirational. Although we’ve come a long way since the 1940’s, cerebral palsy is still a difficult conversation for some.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

It's a lively story of African American woman who courageously face her disability.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Thanks for such a beautifully crafted lucid review of the book "It's Easier To Dance." Going by the review, the book will definitely prove to be a gem of a memoir. Your honest revelation that there are some grammatical mistakes in the book is appreciated. Looking forward to reading this book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”