Official Review: Halo Jumping by Somer Burgess

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Official Review: Halo Jumping by Somer Burgess

Post by BookishCreature »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Halo Jumping" by Somer Burgess.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Halo Jumping, by Somer Burgess, is a raw and heartwrenching memoir full of love, war, and trauma. Through diary entries, letters, and photos, Burgess tells the story of her relationship with her husband, Ray Ray, and the trials they faced over the course of his deployment to Iraq. She describes the struggle and loneliness of their separation, her husband’s battle with PTSD, and the failure of the US government to give him the help and treatment he desperately needed.

I was immediately struck by the author’s voice, which rings out from the very first sentence. Her writing brims with her tough, determined, and loving personality from the very start. It felt like I really knew her – like she was an old friend – and that connection drew me deeply into the memoir.

Her writing is also very honest. Burgess doesn’t shy away from showing all aspects of her and Ray Ray’s relationship. The good, the bad, the racy, and the tragic – it’s all there on every page. Much of this honesty comes from the fact that the diary entries and wartime correspondence seem to have been only lightly edited; all the random asides, occasional repetition, and sexual tension were left in. I could truly feel Somer and Ray Ray’s love for each other, and even moreso the pain and anxiety they had to face.

While this unabashed storytelling makes the memoir feel utterly real, I think it also made the narrative lack focus. As a piece of literature, it left a bit to be desired. Life is full of unimportant events and extraneous details – the best creative nonfiction filters it all through a particular lens or angle to create a cohesive work. The book ends with a brief mention of the author’s work to raise awareness and support for military families dealing with the effects of PTSD, and I think this was the goal of her memoir as well. With that in mind, I think the story would have been stronger and harder-hitting if she had pared down some of the less-important aspects of the book – her brief custody battle with her first husband, for instance. Removing these distractions would have allowed her to really lean into describing the horrors her husband experienced at war and at home - to make it more of a narrative and less of a transcript.

I also noticed that the second half of the book seemed like it had been rushed through. The errors weren’t grave or numerous, but they were oversights that should have been caught by an editor before publication. For instance, Burgess’ son’s name changes from Malikai to Malakai at one point. On another page, there was what seemed to be an editor’s note that hadn’t been removed. Another careful pass by an editor would take the memoir to the next level.

In the end, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars, taking off one star for the rushed editing and lack of focus. I briefly debated rating it two stars, but the sheer honesty and emotion of the work make up for at least a little of its structural issues. Readers should be advised that the book does contain some adult content that may not be suitable for young adults. That said, I recommend this book to anyone who loves a powerful memoir, particularly those with a personal connection to military life or PTSD.

Halo Jumping
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like BookishCreature's review? Post a comment saying so!
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

This must have been a difficult review to write as it's always hard to criticise writing that has so much bravery and honesty, but I think you've given some very worthwhile advice - the overall effect is uplifting. Thank you.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Very good review of a touching memoir. The author is very straightforward in highlighting what happens when soldiers are separated from their families during times of war. The loneliness and unhappiness of such separation are indeed very heartwrenching.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Awesome work particularly on the part to deal with the level of honesty exhibited. I also believe that the author should have concentrated more on PTSD and the effect it had in their relationship with her husband is her goal is to solicit for support for these war veterans suffering from PTSD.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

This isn't my favourite genre, and I can't say I will be rushing off to read it. However this was a good review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”