Official Review: This Does Not Leave This House

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Re: Official Review: This Does Not Leave This House

Post by Mouricia Allen »

bigirimanacelestin wrote: 13 Apr 2018, 23:03 She choose the best way to help herself, by writing what she was endured so long. This may be an advice to anyone who is suffering any kind of abuse, talk your problems to anyone either orally or by writing.
I truly applaud her on being able to write about it all.
Chick Lit Cafe
Favorite Book: This Does Not Leave This House
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Chick Lit Cafe »

By the time she was in her 20's it had become an ingrained cycle. I wasn't able to break the cycle of abuse with my mom until I was in my 40's.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I have not read the book, so I can only go by what your review has shown after you have read the book thoroughly. It can be quite maddening to see someone return to the same or similar circumstances that he or she so desperately are trying to escape. I think the mind gets programmed at a very early age as to what to expect in life, and as humans, we adapt to what is familiar. I believe that all of us would rather stay in a comfort zone than go out in life to something that feels unfamiliar and scary. Weirdly, for those who have suffered abuse, that becomes their comfort zone. They are not accustomed to being treated nicely or having the luxury of expressing themselves or even making a decision for fear of being wrong. From first-hand knowledge, and being an educated woman in the area of psychology, I found myself in a very bad marriage at one time in my life. Many of the patterns of my childhood were just ongoing into that marriage. I was astonished to realize this. Everyone, just like a runner who is in a marathon, has their 'wall' to hit when the realization comes that life has value. We are not here to be a punching bag or a trash can for people to throw their garbage in. So, as I read your words, I could only think that this person who went through so much in her young life had to come out of the dark and into the light. In her own way. We all do.
Everything happens for a reason...
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

cpru68 wrote: 14 Apr 2018, 21:05 I have not read the book, so I can only go by what your review has shown after you have read the book thoroughly. It can be quite maddening to see someone return to the same or similar circumstances that he or she so desperately are trying to escape. I think the mind gets programmed at a very early age as to what to expect in life, and as humans, we adapt to what is familiar. I believe that all of us would rather stay in a comfort zone than go out in life to something that feels unfamiliar and scary. Weirdly, for those who have suffered abuse, that becomes their comfort zone. They are not accustomed to being treated nicely or having the luxury of expressing themselves or even making a decision for fear of being wrong. From first-hand knowledge, and being an educated woman in the area of psychology, I found myself in a very bad marriage at one time in my life. Many of the patterns of my childhood were just ongoing into that marriage. I was astonished to realize this. Everyone, just like a runner who is in a marathon, has their 'wall' to hit when the realization comes that life has value. We are not here to be a punching bag or a trash can for people to throw their garbage in. So, as I read your words, I could only think that this person who went through so much in her young life had to come out of the dark and into the light. In her own way. We all do.
i completely love your comment. I hope you get to read the book, and let me know what you think after you do. I was happy she got out of it, I wish the people who hurt her had suffered more consequences though.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

This sounds like an intense read, to say the least. Whatever the ultimate take-away from this book, I'm hopeful the author finds (or has found) all she needs to put the past behind her and live a full and joyful life.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for your review, it is always great to read about inspiring stories, and it certainly reminds me of a book I just reviewed titled Tears in His Bottle which also talks about dealing with abuse and overcoming obstacles in life.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”