Official Review: Beaten and Battered by Richard Dickstein

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dhomespot
Currently Reading: Blind Black Sheep
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhomespot.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Official Review: Beaten and Battered by Richard Dickstein

Post by dhomespot »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Beaten and Battered" by Richard Dickstein.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Beaten and Battered by Richard Dickstein is an autobiography story that takes us through a time when the nation was in its greatest turmoil, the Great Depression. While everyone else was trying to survive in a time when there were no jobs available, Richard found a way to make some money. What makes this so amazing is the fact that he was only 9 years old at the time. Richard quickly realized that he would always be able to make money is some way.

He decided to leave home after a particularly bad beating from his father. He traveled to Chicago and lasted there for two years before things went awry. He was able to learn a couple of new skills from trial and error. His stint as a short order cook, in particular, was a pretty funny tale. He goes back home to see that there has been a change of residence for his family. He also realizes that he is going to have to work for his father to earn any money.

I really enjoyed reading this book. It was interesting to see his determination to make something of himself and did not let failure stop him. People that are not scared to try new things inspire me. When most people would have curled into a ball and given up, Richard stay true to himself and made it work. He even found a way to get along with his father. The author was able to make me really feel for each of the characters that he introduced into the story. His aunt was always there when he needed her. His mom was too fragile to take care of anything for a while.

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars because there are a lot of grammatical errors. This book does not appear to be professionally edited and the errors take a little bit away from the story. If there were little to no errors, I would absolutely give this book 4 stars. I would still recommend this book even with its errors because it was a great read.

I think the whole moral of this book is to never give up. No matter what life throws at you, you can find a way to overcome it and even find a way to make the situation better than it was in the beginning. Determination should always be working with our motivation to make good things happen in life. Nothing in this world should be handed to us on a silver platter. If we work for what we have, we tend to appreciate it all the more.

Beaten and Battered
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like dhomespot's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Maybe ever’body in the whole damn world is scared of each other."- John Steinbeck
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

That's a good lesson to take away from a book as I don't think very many of us have smooth sailing in life. I, for one, am glad that I didn't live in the Great Depression, but even our society today has issues. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Christal Merkey
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 742
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christal-merkey.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic
2024 Reading Goal: 4
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Christal Merkey »

Great review! My grandparents were born around the Great Depression. I know it had to be hard to live in that time, but as children it would be harder since they were unable to find a way to help out. The difference between then and now is we have more resources to make that money.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

By reading this review, this story sounds like that of the Prodigal son who left his father and after all the failures and trials returned to him. This will motivate persons struggling to succeed in life, to never give up as success lies ahead.
Favour4God
Currently Reading: Who Told You That You Were Naked?
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Favour4God »

This is a good review as the lessons drawn from the book will serve as an encouragement to many faced with diverse life challenges never to give in to depression. Success comes only to those who never give up on life.
Bigirimana Celestin
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigirimana-celestin.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Bigirimana Celestin »

Even to survive in this capitalist world we live in to day, we need to be like him. Thanks for those comments of yours at the last paragraph of your review.
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
― Maya Angelou
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

This does sound like a great read - it's amazing to think of someone first leaving home at the age of nine, but I suppose children had to grow up quickly in those hard times.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”