Official Review: Jesus Christ: A Perfect Hero

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Official Review: Jesus Christ: A Perfect Hero

Post by Mercelle »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Jesus Christ: A Perfect Hero" by Beau Herbert.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jesus Christ: A Perfect Hero by Beau Herbert is a nonfiction novel that seeks to convince young people that following the example of Christ’s flawless character is all they need in order to live a productive life. The author goes on to justify why there’s no better role model besides Jesus, citing evidence from among other sources, The Book of Mormon.

In his younger years, the author confesses to being a fan of a particular singer for whom his fanaticism led him to pin multiple posters of on his bedroom wall and even tried unsuccessfully to mimic the singer’s dance moves. I was taken aback when he revealed that this had a devastating effect on him. This experience, coupled with advice given to him by his grandfather drove him to the conclusion that there’s a perfect hero for young people to follow, instead of spending all their energy idolizing worldly heroes who’re often riddled with flaws.

Being an ordained member of the Aaronic priesthood, it didn’t come as a surprise to me when the author quoted several verses from The Book of Mormon. I found this a welcome gesture because the Latter-day Saint movement is something I know very little about. Out of pure curiosity, I sought to dig a little deeper to read for myself the context behind these verses and I was pleased that it led me to places i never imagined I would venture into.

The author uses a simple writing style to expound on the numerous teachings of the Latter-day Saints spread throughout the book. I flipped through the pages smoothly and at no point was I left uncomprehensive of the material I consumed. At 131 pages long, this is a relatively short book. The author goes straight to the point and doesn’t bore the reader with irrelevant information. It's also commendable that the tone of the work is firm but friendly, instead of the accusatory or often condemning tone synonymous with works based on religious content.

The concept of sin, it’s origin, it’s consequences, plus the plan of salvation are thoroughly explained. The Jesus story is tactfully dissected to give readers a comprehensive analysis of why He made the choices He did and why His eventual death was necessary. The author also goes a step further to outline lessons that the youth should pick up from the happenstances of Jesus’ life.

If you’re clueless about the Latter-day Saints, you’ll find some insightful information in this book. You might, however, find yourself gasping at some of the teachings this group professes, i.e. their peculiar account of the creation story. This one had me pausing to reflect on what I learned both in church and in school. Besides that, I only encountered two typos which didn’t detract from this eye-opening read. I, therefore, give it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars and I recommend it to anyone in need of a role model and anyone who desires thought-provoking read.

Jesus Christ: A Perfect Hero
View: on Bookshelves

Like Mercy Bolo's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Jamasenu
Favorite Author: Valerie Wilson Wesley
Currently Reading: Change Your Thinking Transform Your Life: 21 Truths to Renew Your Mind in Christ
Bookshelf Size: 1547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamasenu.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 125603

Post by Jamasenu »

I'm learning to walk in Christ and as I'm growing, I'm starting to understand the Bible and about myself. In your review, you stated that this book pushed you to delve further to get a better understanding about the things you didn't know. If the author was able to provoke you to investigate, just imagine if more people read this book.

We all have made the mistake of worshipping someone or something in our lifetime. As we learn more about Christ, the things of the world will matter less and less. I really liked your review and will be adding this book to my to-read shelf. :tiphat:
To survive, you must tell stories.
― Umberto Eco, The Island of the Day Before
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Since I'm not Mormon, I'm pretty much going to stay away from this one. Thanks for the information, though. Glad you were able to enjoy it.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
nathanielbivan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathanielbivan.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by nathanielbivan »

I enjoyed your review. I have often wondered about the folly of modelling ones' life completely after another human. I think this book will make an important read.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

It is great that he is reaching out to teenagers to follow Christ. But I do not agree with what the Mormons teach so I will pass on this one. Thanks for your review.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I think this one might be one for me to add to my shelf after reading your review. I like to read books that focus on spirituality, and one of the reasons why, is because like what you said, it makes me pause and think about what I believe, and how that belief became a part of my life. I know a little bit about Latter Day Saints and the beliefs they prescribe to, but I don't think I have ever read a complete book on the subject. Thank you for your insightful review.
Everything happens for a reason...
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I love Jesus Christ and his teachings. I agree with the author that he is the perfect role model, however, I do not agree with the teachings of the Mormon faith. Your review is excellent though.
KSuho

Post by KSuho »

This book actually awakens the good side of me. The review is very great.
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

The book does sound interesting. I think it's about time we look at the subject of the youth and religion. Nice review
Meggison

Post by Meggison »

Its quite an interesting review, straight to the point and timely to our youths.
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

It is opportune that I read this review as we are still very much in the Easter season and the Readings from the Acts of the Apostles give us a clear picture of what life was for the early followers of Jesus Christ and this book of how productive life could be if young people follow Him. I'm not familiar with The Book of Mormon though.
Christal Merkey
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 740
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christal-merkey.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic
2024 Reading Goal: 4
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Christal Merkey »

You have a great review. I don't like the Mormon way, but I think I will read it anyway. I just started going back to church (Disciples of Christ) Christian, where I am from and will stay.
Bigirimana Celestin
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigirimana-celestin.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Bigirimana Celestin »

I can't say that I don't know Jesus Christ, I know Him. I read Bible many time specifically the Gospel of John but the title of this book enlightened me, Jesus Christ: a Perfect Hero . The book of Mammon is new to me and even last day saint. I think I need this book in my bookshelf. Thank you for great review.
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
― Maya Angelou
Seenpeterson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Seenpeterson »

The official review of the book Jesus Christ The Great Heroe by Beau Hebert was quite interesting and impressive, as it reveals the need for youths to embrace the teachings and the way of Jesus, it encourages them to look to him as their only Heroe, because every other heroe or role model in the world is insignificant. The book talk about the important of Christ death, which was not a mistake, but the plan of salvation to save mankind, it also talk about the irrelevant teachings of the book mammon, and also pinpoint some important lessons in the book of Church of Christ of Later Days Saint. From the review, I found this book to be very interesting not only for the youths, but to every one. so I rate this book 4 of 4. Thank You.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I'm glad this book encouraged you to delve deeper and do a bit of your own research. It sounds like a thought-provoking read and I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the interesting review.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”