Official Review: From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of t...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Official Review: From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of t...

Post by kislany »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream" by Janice S. Ellis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream is a powerful autobiography in which the author, Janice S. Ellis, walks us through her life from growing up on a Mississippi farm as a black child to becoming a successful business manager and a newspaper political columnist.

Unlike others in the area, her family had their own farm, and they always had at least the basics to survive. Still, Janice grew up during the 1950s and the 1960s in the segregated South, when people of different skin color went to different schools, stores, and even drank water from different fountains. It was also a time when people of color were brutally killed seemingly without a reason, and nobody would do anything about it.

Her mom and dad would instill a strong sense of right and wrong in Janice. She took all these teachings to heart and went after her dream when she realized that she wanted something more from life than become another black farmer of the South.

As a teenager, Janice was strongly influenced by a CBS radio commentator, Eric Sevareid, and she even told her mom that this is what she would grow up to do. She wanted to become a political columnist, just like he was. But to do that, she had to study hard. In fact, she had to study much harder than most of her peers, not only because she was black but also because she was a woman. During those times, being both gave a person a strong disadvantage compared to everyone else fighting to get ahead in life.

Many of the stories Janice recounts were truly sad and some quite cruel in the way white people treated blacks back then. I am coming from Europe, so racial issues as such were never part of my life. Thus, I found at least the first half of the story shocking. I couldn’t stop shaking my head whenever Janice would describe yet another injustice done to her and her family just because their skin color was different. In addition, I learned that not all blacks were equal either. Even among people of color, their shades gave them different social statuses.

Janice’s road to success was an arduous one, full of hardships that she had to overcome. Since I had never heard of the author before, I had no idea how her story would end. While reading the last pages of the book, I felt a strong sense of accomplishment along with her. I can honestly say that I haven’t met so far anyone as resilient, ambitious and determined to get out of the vicious circle as she was. Janice had to fight against racism and sexism even after she left her hometown. She had to survive numerous battles in order to be taken seriously while studying for further education. And surviving she did. She not only got several degrees, every time graduating with high grades, but she also worked her way to higher and higher positions in her jobs, going as far as running for the position of mayor at some point.

In addition to her many struggles, she also had to deal with an indifferent and abusive husband and later on, an abusive boyfriend, before she met her current husband, who would give her and her children all the love and respect they so deserved.

Janice’s story is the search for the American Dream, one that, even today, it is denied to so many people in America for reasons that they don’t have any power over: the color of their skin, their gender, and even their roots. From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream is a powerful book, and I strongly recommend it to every woman in the world because so much within affects us all.

I would also like to congratulate the author’s editors. Throughout the entire (relatively long) story, I only found one grammatical error. The book is excellently crafted and edited, which I am sure also stems from the author’s own background, education and work in relevant fields over the years.

If I absolutely have to say anything negative about the book, it is the 30-page treaty about Walter Lippmann’s life work, which I found slightly boring to read. A shorter analysis of his work would have more than sufficed within the scope of the narrative. Unless you are an avid fan of his political work (which the author clearly is), there is simply no reason why one would have to read to an entire master thesis on this political figure in a book that has someone else as the focal point.

Nevertheless, I give From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream 4 out of 4 stars because it must be one of the best autobiographies I have read in the last couple of years. It was an educational, informative, and riveting read.

From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like kislany's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad that a story like this is so well edited! I've read about life as a slave and life during the 50s and 60s, but I haven't read much about the segregated South at that time. So, it seems like this would be a very telling book. I'll have to look at it. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jamasenu
Favorite Author: Valerie Wilson Wesley
Currently Reading: Change Your Thinking Transform Your Life: 21 Truths to Renew Your Mind in Christ
Bookshelf Size: 1547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamasenu.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 125603

Post by Jamasenu »

Those times were truly hard for Black people. To be considered as insignificant, dumb, slow or even worthless is a bitter pill to swallow. Ms. Ellis opening up about her childhood is demonstrating that she did not allow her circumstances to determine who she was or depict her future. You can either wallow in self-pity or pave your own way. Your review inspired me to add this book to my to-read shelf. :tiphat:
To survive, you must tell stories.
― Umberto Eco, The Island of the Day Before
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Post by KLafser »

I can't even imagine the strength and resilience of this woman! I was just lamenting to friend about the very little things that 'stall' me - and then I read about someone who had to overcome so much more, and quite honestly, WAY more frequently. Thank you so much for a fantastic review - I'll be adding this one to my list. Nice job!
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

Whenever I hear or read the stories of people of color growing up in the South during the early 20th century I'm amazed. And heartbroken. I am glad her story is well-done and hope that others will take the time to read it. Thanks for the review.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

An autobiography of an African-American woman living in America during the height of the civil rights and women's liberation movements sounds powerful. Suffering not only from racism but also from abuse makes her success all the more impressive. That the book was well-edited is another bonus. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Janalyn101
Favorite Book: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janalyn101.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Janalyn101 »

Bravery doesn’t begin to describe her journey. What a great review thanks.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

This is such an intense and gripping read. The impeccable editing is the cherry on top. It so piqued my interest that I will put it on the top of my reading list. Thank you for the wonderful and honest review.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Books like this that highlight abuse of human rights through racial and gender discrimination are the ones I find myself eager to read with the hope that I learn how far people have grown and the journey still to come.
The review honored the book perfectly and I agree with the 4-stars rating.
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Nuel Ukah »

I strongly recommend this book to young ladies and women as this book deals with sensitive issues related to the female gender.
Scerakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

This sounds like an extremely powerful and motivating autobiography showing the author’s resilience in the face of racism, family violence, and bigotry. It is a book about chasing the American Dream and succeeding despite challenges.
April Ruvs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-april-ruvs.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by April Ruvs »

A brilliant and detailed review. I look forward to reading this book because if not only touches on the race issues it brings to light the true extent that people of colour went through hardships and some still on going.
"Trust the wisdom of your soul it knows the way" unknown
Brendan Donaghy
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

This book by Janice Ellis sounds like a powerful story, one I look forward to reading. Sadly, it may be that this tale of violent racism in 1950s and 1960s Mississippi is all too familiar now, but individual histories of this period are still important. Nothing illuminates the past better than an eye witness account. It is also encouraging to learn that the book is almost flawless in its writing style and editing. Great review!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This sounds like an emotional read, and like you, I am shaking my head at all of this past injustice. I have not read much about the segregated south and find it shocking that inequalities also existed between black people depending on their shade. I think this sounds like a compelling story about how someone was able to rise up, despite all the obstacles, and do something amazing. Thank you for the lovely review!
aolayide
Currently Reading: Are Your Kids Naked Online?
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolayide.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by aolayide »

Wow! Bravo! I am at a loss for words after the review of "From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream" by Janice S. Ellis. I mean, as a black woman myself, I deeply understand how persistent that little girl must have been to raise her head above waters. To determine that her background would not define who she will be in life. Wow! Reading her story brought tears to my eyes because of this discrimination against the blacks. It is impressive that the author could let it all out. Brilliant work here! Bravo! Bravo! :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”