Official Review: Bet On Yourself by Vernard L Hodges

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mark jakisum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Re: Official Review: Bet On Yourself by Vernard L Hodges

Post by mark jakisum »

A good capture.. success is goals, all else is commentary.. I like it how the author distinguishes from a very bad group with ill motives and carves his way that leads him to good and descent living
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

stacie k wrote: 12 Apr 2018, 16:51 I like motivational and uplifting books! I'm glad Dr. Hodges employed a writing style that is easily understood. Even though I'm not particularly interested in real estate or the industry of financial management, I feel confident that I could learn from Dr. Hodges' book. Thanks for a great review!
He offers useful advice about personal finance and life too. Glad you enjoyed my review. Thanks for reading and commenting!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Yoli García

Post by Yoli García »

Mercy Bolo wrote: 13 Apr 2018, 05:59 This goes on to show that determination and hard work will open doors for anyone who's willing to make an effort. This is such an inspirational story.
So true! Thanks for reading and commenting!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Sitowise
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sitowise.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Sitowise »

That's a very interesting review..nice one.
Yoli García

Post by Yoli García »

Mercy Bolo wrote: 13 Apr 2018, 05:59 This goes on to show that determination and hard work will open doors for anyone who's willing to make an effort. This is such an inspirational story.
I agree. Thanks for reading and commenting!

-Gabriel García Márquez
Yoli García

Post by Yoli García »

crediblereading2 wrote: 13 Apr 2018, 15:34 Dr. Hodges has shown the world that with determination, focus, and ambition, anyone will attain their goals.

Exactly! Thanks for reading and commenting!

-Gabriel García Márquez
Yoli García

Post by Yoli García »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 15 Apr 2018, 00:15 Veteran topics is not my thing but I like how he uplifted his life and work he worked hard in his life to walk out of his past. A truly a inspirational tale for all of us if we want to change our destiny and life. Thank you for sharing this book through your review!
His life is truly inspirational. He could have gone easily the other way. Thanks for reading and commenting!

-Gabriel García Márquez
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A memoir revolving around the life of a self-made man sound inspiring. It is good that not only the author narrates his life story, but that he also offers real estate advice. His down-to-earth approach should make it easy to follow. I agree he makes a good role model. Not for me, but I am glad you found it a good read. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

I like that he didn't use his start in life as an excuse for anything. His upbeat way of writing seems inspirational. Hard-work and optimism seem to be the themes of this book.
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

This book sounds like quite the motivational read. I understand that the author points to minoritys who grow up in poor neighborhoods but there are also a lot of non-minoritys in the same situation. Also people interested in making money in real estate should also find this book interesting. Congrats to the author on a great review. Thanks so much for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
chapter-one
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chapter-one.html
Latest Review: Band in the Wind by William John Rostron

Post by chapter-one »

Mr Hodges' story sounds like an inspirational one and I hope it will inspire others. His business advice could also come in handy.
Gikonyo Caroline
Currently Reading: Big Things Have Small Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 351
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gikonyo-caroline.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by Gikonyo Caroline »

My type of read offering practical guidance of building a business empire despite Dr.Hodges being raised in a poor background and most of his peers taking the path of drugs. This is quite inspirational.I will definitely want to get my mind on this one. Great review
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I appreciate this type of inspirational book with practical tips for everyday living. Thanks for the great review!
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

I think that this book bet on yourself will be a really interesting book to read. There are a lot of things about Vernard L. Hodges story that I am able to personally relate to. Plus, I think that it is a positive way of informing individuals of the world especially young adults that there is a way that one can make a significant amount of money and do it all in a legal manner.
Chelsea N. Hackett
Kareka88
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kareka88 »

This Sounds like a very insightful book. I congratulate the author on his success and thank him for his willingness to share his story with others. It is true that the youth of today need positive role models, no matter their race, especially young men. Where he says, "Refuse to be a victim of your surroundings. Get up every time life knocks you down. Never quit, despite how hard life gets. If you're going to do well in life, bet on yourself, because if you don’t, then who will?" Is a good message for all people. Many times the person that is holding you back is you. I would think this book would be good for young people starting out in their careers as well as those looking to make a change.
Thank you for your informative review.
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”