Official Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Official Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar

Post by SPasciuti »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Samuel" by Samuel kidstar.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Samuel: My Life Story by Samuel Kidstar is a deeply interesting memoir about the life of a young man who grows up to be an ironworker as he goes through a great many hardships, one of which centers largely around the abusive nature of his father. His life is chronicled through the many changes and layoffs faced by ironworkers over time, including the input of new safety regulations and the availability of work due to major crises and based on location. Samuel was a first responder to the attacks of September 11, 2001. He spent a fair amount of time moving from place to place as he followed jobs across the country and he found a great deal of love in an activity known as skydiving.

I have mixed feelings about this book and, for the longest time, was unsure how I would rate it. I really enjoyed reading about all of Samuel's experiences, but they did get a little repetitive after a while particularly where his work was concerned. As someone who genuinely knows very little about ironworkers and what they have to face, it was a welcome enlightenment to read about their regular struggles and experiences. Samuel's voice was very entertaining and held pieces of wisdom that were a true pleasure to read. I was most enamored with his opinion of religion, something that I found refreshing as not many people speak so bluntly when they have a belief such as his. For this reason, however, I do not think I would recommend this book to most Christians.

What I loved most about this book boils down to three things: the author's voice, his connection to his family (his grandparents in particular), and the abundance of new information I learned about the experiences of ironworkers, especially those who had to work through changes in the industry. Kidstar has a strong narrative tone, one he uses well to portray his experiences and views. I am also one who is always looking to learn something new and I don't know if I would have ever learned much about this particular topic without having read this memoir.

While I was excited and pleased to be reading about and learning new things from a world that I have no experience in and little knowledge of, there were times that I felt Kidstar did not fully anticipate the idea that someone who was not an ironworker would be reading his book. There were a number of terms used throughout the course of the book that I wasn't familiar with and sometimes had to look up. I'm not very familiar with worker's unions and therefore had no idea what Kidstar meant when he referenced Local 55 and numerous others. I think his book definitely could benefit from including some more information in a way that allows readers who are not aware of specific terms to easily understand what he is talking about as it can become rather distracting.

I definitely left this book feeling as though Samuel had an interesting life and was glad to have read about it, but I did feel that the pacing of the book was somewhat strained. Kidstar spends much of his time merely detailing various events in his life, putting them in a very stiff chronological order. The book's chapters felt poorly organized as experiences were simply lumped together based on the age the author was when they occurred rather than connected to each other in a way that flowed. This, I feel, is what led to some repetitiveness in various descriptions regarding his work.

Finally, while I loved reading about his experiences as a skydiver, I had a hard time connecting those experiences to the rest of his memoir. In the strangest of ways, it almost felt as though it didn't fit with the story that was being told but I could feel how truly meaningful and important these moments were to Kidstar's life. There was a strong emotion mixed with it and I felt truly happy for his ability to have continued on with this activity that he loved so much.

Ultimately, I was not a fan of the way he sectioned his story and I feel that Kidstar could benefit greatly from finding a way to make it flow in a more natural way. The beginning of his book does feel rather stiff at times and his language can, at times, fail to be sensitive. While I was not immensely bothered by this, I do recognize that it will likely offend some others. I definitely think this book would be a great read for other ironworkers and anyone looking to learn about the lives they lead. I am giving Samuel: My Life Story a rating of 2 out of 4 stars. While I did deeply enjoy reading this book, I do believe there is a lot of room for improvement and I don't think it's for everyone. If the pacing of the memoir had been executed in a more succinct manner, I feel as though I would have enjoyed it a lot more.

Samuel
View: on Bookshelves

Like SPasciuti's review? Post a comment saying so!
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

This is a very thorough review. He does sound like a really interesting person, but I'm not sure that I could maintain interest through all the stuff about ironworking - the the trade union side might interest me.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It does sound like Samuel had an interesting life, but I think it would be a bit too repetitive too me. It sounds like the author should have condensed it a bit. Thanks for the thorough review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
PaigeA
Currently Reading: brothers karamazov
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paigea.html
Latest Review: Boom! A Revolting Situation by Thomas Richard Harry

Post by PaigeA »

Thanks for the review! Seems like it is quite an experience to read this book!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

With ironworking, skydiving, and being a first responder to 9/11, Samuel does appear to have led a very interesting life. I wonder if he would have been better off to develop one of these aspects, especially since you felt the ideas were difficult to connect. Thanks for your thorough review. I can see that you put much thought into it.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Sounds like some of Samuel's experiences could be really interesting to read about while others might bog down the book. Of course, when writing of your own life it is hard to skip all the dull moments as all of us can say a lot of our lives are spent on mundane things we wouldn't want included in an auto-biography! Very thorough review. I feel like I can pass on this one with good reason (because you gave it to me). Talk of unions is quite boring and I can't say I'm particularly interested in the life of an ironworker.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I agree with you that the author's experiences need to be organized in a more appealing manner. Although I would love to read about the author's skydiving experiences, the technical jargon relating to ironworking will be a chore to sail through.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I agree that too much repetition of anything can make it seem boring. Authors should desist from this practice, as it will cause their works to appear simplistic.
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

Samuel does seem to lead an interesting life. The review was quite comprehensive. I look forward to reading the book
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

Thank you for a fair and thorough review. It was interesting observation that you noted the skydiving felt out of place from the rest of the material. The strict chronology would probably perturb me a bit as well! Great job!
Christinabooklover
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinabooklover.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Christinabooklover »

Reading a book is like diving in a new world, this time the irnomworkers world. From your review, I understand that there is a lot of information about irnomworkers and their life which is really intriguing. I have not read the book, but I also believe that repetition makes a reading disagreeable.
Thanks for the great review. It is was really thorough.
Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and, above all those who live without love.” – JK Rowling
Annija Marta Meldere
Currently Reading: The Bulletproof Missionary
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annija-marta-meldere.html
Latest Review: Eternity by Carlos

Post by Annija Marta Meldere »

Seems like this would help peope learn more about ironworkers, but only given they are interested enough to read through the parts they don't understand.

Also, the way one structures their story is very important indeed.
Latest Review: Eternity by Carlos

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”