Official Review: Behind Closed Doors: A Daughter's Story

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Official Review: Behind Closed Doors: A Daughter's Story

Post by Jaime Lync »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Behind Closed Doors: A Daughter's Story" by Daniella DeChristopher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Behind Closed Doors: A Daughter’s Story by Daniella DeChristopher is a biography/autobiography that I will not soon forget. DeChristopher shares the bitter-sweet story of her mother’s and her own life with such candor that I was teary-eyed several times as I read this book.

Josie, the author’s mother got pregnant with her at 16 years old in 1949. Her family, being Italian and Catholic, viewed this as a huge disgrace. Consequently, she was kicked out of the family home and forced to marry the father of the child, Nicki Demetrios. Nickie was a ‘bad seed’ to say the least and Josie soon divorced him. Now she had a baby, no high-school diploma, no family support and no place to live. These factors greatly influenced her and her daughter’s life. Daniella, grew up moving from house to house, sometimes seemingly abandoned by her mother. How did this affect her? Can the author find happiness after such a troubled childhood? This book will answer these questions, as well as teach or remind the reader of other valuable lessons.

I enjoyed reading this book. It is a little under 300 pages and is composed of a brief Introduction, 26 chapters, an About the Author page and an acknowledgement page. It is notable that in the About the Author page, DeChristopher takes the time to summarize some of the lessons she has learnt in her pursuit of happiness. I was not able to find any distracting grammatical errors to complain about. I was elated that the font size was comfortable enough for me to read without having to zoom in on the pages. There was only one instance where I noted that the book could have made use of a formatting technique such as a partition or a different font to separate a daydream from actual events in the story. I think that some readers might take a while to discern whether that scene I am referring to is a daydream or not.

Also, the writing style was more tell than show but the author was able to make this work out because her tone appealed to my emotions (as I mentioned before, I was teary-eyed a couple of times). The author did an amazing job making all the characters very life-like. I was able to connect with persons that appeared for only a few pages in the book.

In conclusion, I rate Behind Closed Doors 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this to anyone who is interested in biographical/ autobiographical stories.

Behind Closed Doors: A Daughter's Story
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jaime Lync's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bigirimana Celestin
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigirimana-celestin.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Bigirimana Celestin »

Also, the writing style was more tell than show but the author was able to make this work out because her tone appealed to my emotions (as I mentioned before, I was teary-eyed a couple of times)
For that i think this book is more important to anyone. Thank you for your review.
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
― Maya Angelou
Bushrara
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bushrara »

Wow sach an amazing and inspiring story
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This does sound like an emotional read. I'm not sure I'm ready for this one right now, but I'm glad that you were able to enjoy it. I'll keep it in mind for the future.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

bigirimanacelestin wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 02:36
Also, the writing style was more tell than show but the author was able to make this work out because her tone appealed to my emotions (as I mentioned before, I was teary-eyed a couple of times)
For that i think this book is more important to anyone. Thank you for your review.
Thanks for the comment. I totally agree with you. I am a fan of literature that makes use of colourful literary devices but this one did an awesome job without all of that.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

Bushrara wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 06:56 Wow sach an amazing and inspiring story
Thanks for reading and commenting. Yes, it is very inspiring.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

kandscreeley wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 07:47 This does sound like an emotional read. I'm not sure I'm ready for this one right now, but I'm glad that you were able to enjoy it. I'll keep it in mind for the future.
Thanks for reading and commenting Kandscreeley. I hope you get around to it someday.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Mr Benji »

16 year old ,pregnant! That's quite a young age.
There is really something behind the close doors.

Yours sincerely,
Mr Benji.
Books are lovely.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

If a book has a child in the middle of the story, I will love it. She will of course be troubled by her parents' conflict and I like to see how she deals with it.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I absolutely love books of this nature because it gives one good insight to the struggles that many have faced in our world, and also gives the reader a chance to be grateful beyond measure for what we do have. It sounds from your review that the author was able to convey the story to touch your heart, and that is a sign of a good writer. I think this one is getting added to my bookshelf as a want to read. Thank you for your insightful review.
Everything happens for a reason...
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

A pregnant teenager in 1949 in an Italian, Catholic home was sure to create an uproar. I feel for both the mother and daughter, and I haven't even read the book yet. I enjoy biographies, as there is so much to learn from an individual's experiences even if we never get the opportunity to meet in person. I'll have to be prepared with my tissues for an emotionally moving story such as this one. Thank you for your review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Chioma sunday
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Chioma sunday »

This is indeed a sad touching story. Even I haven't read the full story yet,I feel this is just like a tip of an ice berg.well done!
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

This is definitely an interesting story. I feel so bad for both the mother and the daughter. I will have to check this one out!
Oceanside
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oceanside.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Oceanside »

I like that you were able to connect with the characters. Even though you said it was more of a tell than show kind of story, I think connecting with the characters is very important.
Jillpillbooknerd
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 1908
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jillpillbooknerd.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Jillpillbooknerd »

This sounds like a book that would pull at my heartstrings and make me cry. It sounds really good and I'm glad that you enjoyed it!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”