Official Review: Breadcrumbs by Matthew DiGeronimo

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Official Review: Breadcrumbs by Matthew DiGeronimo

Post by BookishCreature »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Breadcrumbs" by Matthew DiGeronimo.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In this era of microblogging and “too long; didn’t read,” some authors are ditching longwinded chapters in favor of shorter and sweeter fare. Matthew DiGeronimo is among them, focusing on brevity in his book, Breadcrumbs: Bite Sized Musings on Leadership and Life. True to its title, this book contains over fifty brief yet compelling mini-essays on various topics related to self-improvement. Can a chain of command be too noisy? Can a plate of nachos provide some insight into reaching your goals? Should we all have conversations with our multiple personalities? DiGeronimo muses on these questions and many more.

I have some small quibbles with Breadcrumbs, but overall I found it to be a refreshing and addictively readable collection of food for thought. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

If you’ve read more than a couple self-improvement manuals, you’ll know that they all start sounding more or less the same after a while. Get up early, practice meditation, focus on gratitude – these principles have been written about by more self-help gurus than you can shake a stick at. Breadcrumbs, though, comes straight out of left field. One of the first mini-essays in the book takes a close look at the old cliché, “Think outside the box!” Is this the wrong way to look at creativity? What if the box itself is a big part of any breakthrough? After all, how can you break out of the box if the box isn’t there to begin with? Should we focus more on building better boxes for ourselves to think inside? I found this to be such an interesting perspective shift, and it really resonated with me.

The rest of the essays were similarly unpredictable, but very well-reasoned. Though the advice is often geared toward corporate leadership, I found myself learning a lot about taking charge, communicating, being creative, and chasing goals. I took away plenty of helpful knowledge for my day-to-day life.

This book definitely didn’t feel like just another rehash of the same old tricks, and its structure only added to the fresh feel. If we’re talking about food for thought, this book should be grazed on – carve a few minutes out of your busy morning to read a super-concise chapter, then ruminate on its unexpected ideas for the rest of the day. You don’t need to commit hours of your time to reading it cover-to-cover – in fact, you’ll probably get more out of it if you read it a little at a time.

As much as I liked this book, there are a few downsides I have to point out. First, Breadcrumbs really needs an editor. There were many punctuation errors and minor typos – “mote” instead of “moat,” for instance. There was also an essay that made a double appearance in two different chapters. Tightening up the fine details of the writing would really elevate this book.

Second, there were one or two chapters that felt like dead weight. In a book chock-full of insight and creative thinking, an essay on the silliness of common idioms taken literally (“kill two birds with one stone” – why are we killing birds?!) fell rather flat.

Those are my only two complaints, and the only reasons I can’t give this book a full four-star rating. That said, I’m happy to rate this book 3 out of 4 stars, and I highly recommend it to anyone seeking to better themselves, their workplace, and their environment.

Breadcrumbs
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like BookishCreature's review? Post a comment saying so!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

This sounds like a fresh, creative approach to convey lessons on leadership and life. The bite-sized segments are fitting for the hectic schedules of many in today’s workplace. It sounds both practical and enjoyable (especially if your suggestions are implemented). Thank you for an excellent review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

This book seems really creative. The only thing keeping me from picking it up is the editing errors. I tend to have a difficult time focusing while reading, and so the editing errors have the ability to take me completely out of the story. Great review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Despite some of the essays being a bit "out there" it seems like this is a clever and unique take on self-help. I enjoyed what you said about not being able to think outside the box if the box isn't there in the first place. Sounds quite clever to me. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
adeadeadeniyix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeadeadeniyix.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by adeadeadeniyix »

It is idea of the book being concise and refreshing that make me feel like reading this book.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

That does sound refreshing - I particularly liked the example about challenging the cliche of thinking "outside the box". The review was refreshing too.
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Post by KLafser »

BookishCreature wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 00:55 One of the first mini-essays in the book takes a close look at the old cliché, “Think outside the box!” Is this the wrong way to look at creativity? What if the box itself is a big part of any breakthrough? After all, how can you break out of the box if the box isn’t there to begin with? Should we focus more on building better boxes for ourselves to think inside? I found this to be such an interesting perspective shift, and it really resonated with me.
I love this!! It speaks to the "throw it all away and start over mentality"; YES, the current box is important, build and expand instead of re-inventing the wheel - errr, box.

I appreciate your observation that many of this type of book say the same thing with a smidge different flavor. This sounds refreshing and thought-provoking. Looking forward to it! Thanks for a great review!
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

First of all, I just wanted to say that I love your writing style (like the pun on Breadcrumbs and food for thought, ha!) and that I really appreciate this review. It's insightful, and it's really helpful :)

This book sounds like a refreshing take on the usual eat-healthy, do-yoga, believe-in-yourself content I've often seen in self-help books, which I'm sure its readers will appreciate. It seems more like a Philosophy book than a self-improvement manual, which is definitely part of what makes it so unique.

I'm rather tempted to pick it up for a read myself now!
haleygerstenberg
Currently Reading: Amusing ourselves to death
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haleygerstenberg.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by haleygerstenberg »

Sounds like a fun read, if only because it's refreshing to read something that's different from the abundance of books in this sphere. I may get it for my husband, he usually likes that sort of creative perspective + useful reading.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

thank you for this review providing appreciable insight into this self improvement book bread crumbs
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”