Official Review: Breadcrumbs by Matthew DiGeronimo

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
BookishCreature
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 86
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 242
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: All Fish Faces by Tam Warner Minton

Official Review: Breadcrumbs by Matthew DiGeronimo

Post by BookishCreature » 09 Apr 2018, 00:55

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Breadcrumbs" by Matthew DiGeronimo.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In this era of microblogging and “too long; didn’t read,” some authors are ditching longwinded chapters in favor of shorter and sweeter fare. Matthew DiGeronimo is among them, focusing on brevity in his book, Breadcrumbs: Bite Sized Musings on Leadership and Life. True to its title, this book contains over fifty brief yet compelling mini-essays on various topics related to self-improvement. Can a chain of command be too noisy? Can a plate of nachos provide some insight into reaching your goals? Should we all have conversations with our multiple personalities? DiGeronimo muses on these questions and many more.

I have some small quibbles with Breadcrumbs, but overall I found it to be a refreshing and addictively readable collection of food for thought. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

If you’ve read more than a couple self-improvement manuals, you’ll know that they all start sounding more or less the same after a while. Get up early, practice meditation, focus on gratitude – these principles have been written about by more self-help gurus than you can shake a stick at. Breadcrumbs, though, comes straight out of left field. One of the first mini-essays in the book takes a close look at the old cliché, “Think outside the box!” Is this the wrong way to look at creativity? What if the box itself is a big part of any breakthrough? After all, how can you break out of the box if the box isn’t there to begin with? Should we focus more on building better boxes for ourselves to think inside? I found this to be such an interesting perspective shift, and it really resonated with me.

The rest of the essays were similarly unpredictable, but very well-reasoned. Though the advice is often geared toward corporate leadership, I found myself learning a lot about taking charge, communicating, being creative, and chasing goals. I took away plenty of helpful knowledge for my day-to-day life.

This book definitely didn’t feel like just another rehash of the same old tricks, and its structure only added to the fresh feel. If we’re talking about food for thought, this book should be grazed on – carve a few minutes out of your busy morning to read a super-concise chapter, then ruminate on its unexpected ideas for the rest of the day. You don’t need to commit hours of your time to reading it cover-to-cover – in fact, you’ll probably get more out of it if you read it a little at a time.

As much as I liked this book, there are a few downsides I have to point out. First, Breadcrumbs really needs an editor. There were many punctuation errors and minor typos – “mote” instead of “moat,” for instance. There was also an essay that made a double appearance in two different chapters. Tightening up the fine details of the writing would really elevate this book.

Second, there were one or two chapters that felt like dead weight. In a book chock-full of insight and creative thinking, an essay on the silliness of common idioms taken literally (“kill two birds with one stone” – why are we killing birds?!) fell rather flat.

Those are my only two complaints, and the only reasons I can’t give this book a full four-star rating. That said, I’m happy to rate this book 3 out of 4 stars, and I highly recommend it to anyone seeking to better themselves, their workplace, and their environment.

Breadcrumbs
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like BookishCreature's review? Post a comment saying so!

stacie k
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 32
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k » 13 Apr 2018, 00:26

This sounds like a fresh, creative approach to convey lessons on leadership and life. The bite-sized segments are fitting for the hectic schedules of many in today’s workplace. It sounds both practical and enjoyable (especially if your suggestions are implemented). Thank you for an excellent review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a

BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: Enlightened by Billie Kowalewski

Post by BriennaiJ » 13 Apr 2018, 07:06

This book seems really creative. The only thing keeping me from picking it up is the editing errors. I tend to have a difficult time focusing while reading, and so the editing errors have the ability to take me completely out of the story. Great review!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 35
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Searching for Normal by Karen Meadows

Post by kandscreeley » 13 Apr 2018, 07:39

Despite some of the essays being a bit "out there" it seems like this is a clever and unique take on self-help. I enjoyed what you said about not being able to think outside the box if the box isn't there in the first place. Sounds quite clever to me. Thanks.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

adeadeadeniyix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeadeadeniyix.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by adeadeadeniyix » 15 Apr 2018, 08:59

It is idea of the book being concise and refreshing that make me feel like reading this book.

Libs_Books
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Miss Carter's War
Bookshelf Size: 203
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Home Economics for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Libs_Books » 16 Apr 2018, 15:01

That does sound refreshing - I particularly liked the example about challenging the cliche of thinking "outside the box". The review was refreshing too.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”