Official Review: David Tate : Origins

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lennycat
Currently Reading: finding nary
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lennycat.html
Latest Review: Saving Nary by Carol DeMent

Official Review: David Tate : Origins

Post by Lennycat »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "David Tate : Origins" by Carolyn Hood-Kourdache.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

David Tate was born in the year 1779, in what was then the Indian Nation of West Florida. He was the half-breed nephew to Creek Chief Alexander McGillivray and Chief Malcolm McPherson of Hickory Ground; essentially Creek royalty. The United States was deep into the mires of the American Revolutionary War. British Colonials were rallying Native-Americans to battle in return for their freedom and ease of trading goods.

David Tate – Origins by Carolyn Hood-Kourdache explores this volatile point in American history and addresses the multifaceted issues of race and slavery of this time. David Tate was the son of a Creek woman and a British Colonial. This book includes official documents, letters, and historical illustrations used as a reference from The New York Public Library, online Digital Collections. The author states in her Preface that this book came about as a result of doing a genealogical survey of the origins of her family. Although not written into the analog’s of American history as we know it, David Tate’s life was significant in that he was present for such historic events as the signing in 1790 of the Treaty of New York, he heard Tecumseh and Tenkswatawah speak at Tuckabatchee, and witnessed the killing of Little Warrior during the Red Stick War (a conflict between the Creek Indians who were against the new settlers from Europe).

Hood-Kourdache is very thorough in the research of her genealogical study. David Tate was the son of David Taitt, a British loyalist and Sehoy McPherson, a Creek Indian. Tate's father was the Deputy Superintendent Indian Agent for the Southern District, Alabama before it became a state in 1819. His job was to gain control over and incite the Creek Indians and other indigenous tribes who lived south of the Ohio River and convince them to go into battle against the colonials seeking separation from the grip of British rule. He married Sehoy McPherson, the half-sister of Chief Alexander McGillivray. He never happened to mention the marriage in his correspondence to his superiors, but instead wrote of the “sundry freelancers, criminal vagrants, mixed bloods and negroes” that lived among the Indian tribes.

Carolyn Hood-Kourdache delves into a fascinating account of America’s early history and the little-known facts behind the growth of the country and the expansion of white settlers into lands inhabited by Native-American tribes. My favorite part of the book was the many original pictures and artist renderings of the time. The author provided so many details and descriptions of what life was like during this time and the political ramifications of the Revolutionary War for not just European settlers, but the indigenous tribes and African and Indian slaves.

Although the thorough research was interesting, it was exhaustive and a little bit dry. The book lists the many slaves owned by Tate. In fact, slavery was commonplace amongst all nationalities. I found it eye-opening and sobering at the prevalence of slave ownership and the fact that when someone died, the slaves were left in the will of the deceased. Men could also purchase young girls as concubines.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I gave it this rating because it was clear how much time the author has put into the research and compilation of this book. It was a fascinating look into a window of time that most of today’s Americans have little knowledge of. This book will appeal to those who are interested in the early years of European settlement of the United States, people who want to learn more about life as a Native-American in British colonial time, and those tracing their own genealogical roots.

David Tate : Origins
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Lennycat's review? Post a comment saying so!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

How interesting that this book was birthed out of the author’s own genealogical study! It makes me curious to see what a study of my own roots would reveal. I’m a fan of historical fiction and would love to learn more about these events. Thanks for a great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

I must admit that this does sound excellent, though I appreciate your warning about it being a bit dry.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

Sometimes when we look back, we can do better now. It sounds like the author did extensive research into this lineage and I am sure it wasn’t an easy storyline to tackle. It’s too bad it ended up being a little dry in places. Such a scandal during that time period in history. Interesting that slavery is noted to have existed in different nationalities. I think we forget that slavery isn’t just limited to one race in history. This atrocity can only be stopped by education of the masses that no one is anyone’s slave. I enjoyed this review. Sounds like this is a very informative history book.
Everything happens for a reason...
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like this book is steeped in history. The author doesn't gloss over the bad, either, which I find commendable. Right now, it's a bit much for me. However, I glad the author researched this so thoroughly. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Non-fiction will always have something to take away after reading. It is interesting to get to learn about those years and how life was then. Thanks for the review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I love watching films of when the British came and settled in America, therefore this book fascinates me. I am prompted to read it for the future. Thank you for your great review.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

Loved your review. Our early history here in America has always fascinated me. It is interesting to see how far we have come and how we still need to grow. I am glad the author has taken the time for the research, even though it hurt the entertaining factor some. Shoddy research detracts from the story.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”