Official Review: Reflections: Words From the Soul

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Vickie Noel
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 30
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 295
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading: Accumulation
Bookshelf Size: 276
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Reflections: Words From the Soul by Dan Babcock
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Official Review: Reflections: Words From the Soul

Post by Vickie Noel » 04 Apr 2018, 20:15

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Reflections: Words From the Soul" by Dan Babcock.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Train your mind to see the good in everything. Positivity is a choice. The happiness of your life depends on the quality of your thoughts.” - marcandangel

I saw this quote and imagined that Dan Babcock may very well have had the same concept in mind as he embarked on preparations for publishing his book, Reflections: Words From the Soul. This non-fiction book set out to be motivational in nature, covering a variety of subjects which supplies the reader with insights aimed at finding the right path and transforming their realities. Subtitled, “How your perspective can change your life,” Reflections: Words From the Soul was self-published in 2017 by the author in loving memory of his deceased mother.

The book encompasses fifty-five small chapters which can be read all at once or in bits, depending on the preference of each reader. The first three words of each chapter are inscribed with all caps. Written in the simplest, everyday English, their themes range from the importance of being aware of one’s surroundings to the connection between love and fear, the tricks to attracting good things and those for eliminating guilt from one’s life.

While reading, I shared the author’s line of reasoning and felt the vibes of positivity flowing through the sentences in the chapter, “Get to or Got to.” In addition, I came across certain points already familiar to me being resonated in the book. Points like:
“The human mind is amazingly strong – in fact so strong, we do not comprehend its immense power.” (Page 9)
“However, this can also be a curse to those who do not understand its meaning.” (Page 9)
From a much younger age, I’ve often wondered about the power of the mind as it reflected on my own thoughts and actions. Thus, it felt so good reading those words off the page and discovering that it all wasn’t just in my head.

Sadly though, the panegyrical part of this review ends here. I chose to read this book because I was in need of some upliftment. Unfortunately for me, despite the “mouth-watering” topics presented in the blurb, I found myself left in want because its words weren’t skin deep enough. The points were fleetingly touched, then abandoned. I also found it strange that a motivational book such as this one completely lacked quotes from notable personalities to further buttress the points highlighted. It made for a really dull reading.

Though not a religious book, Reflections: Words From the Soul contained several chapters with religious undertones, delivered with a dump-it-on-the-reader approach. The overly simplistic tone the book employed might be beneficial to some, especially young learners and those who simply want to be spoon-fed with answers. However, I didn’t see it as a read that challenges one intellectually or helps one steadily arrive at a valid conclusion.

More importantly, I couldn’t shake off the feeling of subtle detachment from the author as I read. Although written majorly in the first person point of view, there were several whiffs of the second and third POVs which were useful in comprehension but at the same time, unwittingly aloof. Their presence in the narrative somewhat made it difficult for me to form a deep connection with the narrator to see and understand things the way he did. I merely felt like an outsider skimming his thoughts.

There were several grammatical oddities in this book. They included awkward sentences, verb tense mismatches and wrong word usage among others. Some examples are:
“The child begins to forget the things they would bring up in their earlier days.” (Page 77)
“Our ego suffers with our lack of material possessions we have…” (Page 85)
In Chapter 24, the author’s application in his illustration went off point in one paragraph. Then, it became more aligned in the following paragraph. The job of a good editor, apart from checking for grammatical/typographical errors, also entails ensuring clear and coherent thought processes for intellectual stimulation.

For all intents and purposes, there’s nothing really unique about Reflections: Words From the Soul. In my opinion, it offers more of a “tell” rather than “show” style of writing. I personally enjoy books garnished with “words that paint pictures” and was quite disappointed with its absence in this one. Therefore, all observations duly noted, I peg my rating at a 2 out of 4 stars. Nevertheless, I could recommend it it to those who enjoy basic language expressions and can accept its lack of supporting quotes.

Reflections: Words From the Soul
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Vickie Noel's review? Post a comment saying so!
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain

stacie k
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 32
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k » 06 Apr 2018, 00:11

I’m sorry this book fell short of your expectations. Thanks for your very informative review! I’ll continue to seek motivation/inspiration elsewhere.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a

Vickie Noel
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>

Post by Vickie Noel » 06 Apr 2018, 01:06

stacie k wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 00:11
I’m sorry this book fell short of your expectations. Thanks for your very informative review! I’ll continue to seek motivation/inspiration elsewhere.
You do just that. Thanks for reading!

Kibetious
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: The Buried Secrets of Peonies by Mernegar Dorgoly

Post by Kibetious » 06 Apr 2018, 01:18

The review is well done. The reviewer began by appreciating the work done which is a good thing. I believe failure to include quotes from some of these well known personalities cannot be the cause of it lacking some higher rating. I love the opening quote a lot.

Vickie Noel

Post by Vickie Noel » 06 Apr 2018, 06:39

Kibetious wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 01:18
The review is well done. The reviewer began by appreciating the work done which is a good thing. I believe failure to include quotes from some of these well known personalities cannot be the cause of it lacking some higher rating. I love the opening quote a lot.
I sincerely appreciate your observations. I do agree that failure to include quotes couldn't possibly be the singular reason the rating is low, but as mentioned in the review, it was a combination of poor editing, the overly ordinary tone and lack of actual practicality of the tips outlined. Some folks may find it okay, but certainly not outstanding.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 35
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Searching for Normal by Karen Meadows

Post by kandscreeley » 06 Apr 2018, 07:25

I'm sorry this one didn't go deep enough for you. I do believe that the human mind is powerful, and yet I still think we need to realize that there are times that the human mind isn't powerful enough. There needs to be a balance, and I'm not sure the author strikes that balance. Plus, since it was only okay for you, I'll be skipping this one. Thanks, though!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Jaime Lync
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2017 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 45
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 500
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: The Karma Chronicles Part I by Pepper Carlson

Post by Jaime Lync » 06 Apr 2018, 08:02

Appreciate the detailed review, especially the quotations of the "oddities" - awkward statements. I don't think I will be reading this book anytime soon. Thanks.

Vickie Noel

Post by Vickie Noel » 06 Apr 2018, 08:09

kandscreeley wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 07:25
I'm sorry this one didn't go deep enough for you. I do believe that the human mind is powerful, and yet I still think we need to realize that there are times that the human mind isn't powerful enough. There needs to be a balance, and I'm not sure the author strikes that balance. Plus, since it was only okay for you, I'll be skipping this one. Thanks, though!
We're completely on the same page here, kandscreeley. As powerful as the mind is, it still needs assistance and fueling. That's the essence of adequate research for support. Thanks for reading!

Vickie Noel

Post by Vickie Noel » 06 Apr 2018, 08:10

Jaime Lync wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 08:02
Appreciate the detailed review, especially the quotations of the "oddities" - awkward statements. I don't think I will be reading this book anytime soon. Thanks.
You won't be missing much. Thanks for the feedback!

cpru68
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 20
Favorite Book: WHO TOLD YOU THAT YOU WERE NAKED?
Currently Reading: Devotional Insights from Childhood Days of the Heroes of the Bible
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 » 06 Apr 2018, 12:44

I appreciate your review because there are SO many inspirational/spiritual/self help books to pick from in this day and age. It is nice to see your details of why it may not fit the bill for those seeking deeper answers. This is such a subjective topic because for one person this may just the book for him or her while it may not mean a thing to another. After reading why you gave it a low rating, I will pass. Like you, I want some examples from real life to back up what is being written or otherwise it very dry reading.

Vickie Noel

Post by Vickie Noel » 07 Apr 2018, 00:00

Yes indeed, practical examples make books like these weighter. I'm glad the review was beneficial to you. Thanks a lot for the feedback.

CambaReviewer
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 32
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cambareviewer.html
Latest Review: Who Hears While Not Listening? by Alim M. Bey

Post by CambaReviewer » 07 Apr 2018, 01:39

Thanks for a nicely written candid review. I am still struggling to understand the awkward statements you quote from the book. It would be nice if the author could edit further, and perhaps add real life experiences to give more meaning to the writing. Well done!

Vickie Noel

Post by Vickie Noel » 07 Apr 2018, 04:02

CambaReviewer wrote:
07 Apr 2018, 01:39
Thanks for a nicely written candid review. I am still struggling to understand the awkward statements you quote from the book. It would be nice if the author could edit further, and perhaps add real life experiences to give more meaning to the writing. Well done!
That certainly would help immensely. Thanks for taking time out to read and comment!

Sarah Tariq
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2017 Reading Goal: 15
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 32
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 46
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-tariq.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Sarah Tariq » 10 Apr 2018, 01:17

I like motivational books, but it is unfortunate that it couldn't come up to expectations. Thanks for your insightful review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

Vickie Noel

Post by Vickie Noel » 10 Apr 2018, 13:45

Sarah Tariq wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 01:17
I like motivational books, but it is unfortunate that it couldn't come up to expectations. Thanks for your insightful review.
Thanks for reading, Sarah! Appreciate the feedback. :)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”