Official Review: Simply Awake by Jonathan Eric Labman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Official Review: Simply Awake by Jonathan Eric Labman

Post by ayoomisope »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Simply Awake" by Jonathan Eric Labman.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Simply Awake by Jonathan Eric Labman is a revelatory book that emphasizes the importance of enlightenment. Western and Eastern religions, and their flaws, are explored; nevertheless, the author intends for every reader to ascertain the truth personally. This is an integral aspect of “being awake.”

The book begins by analysing the need for awareness. Awareness is described as something that registers every experience. The author terms it Brahman, which is synonymous with God/the Absolute. The three basic practices of awareness are discussed. These are meditation, practising presence (a form of open-eyed meditation), and thought-busting. Additionally, questions concerning several aspects of life are considered to help evaluate one’s existence and establish the truth by oneself. For instance, “Is This Really True About How I Fit into the World?”

It is easy to imagine the book as a spiritual manual, but it is not. It focuses on the possibility of happiness and holistic tranquillity. I appreciate the author’s vast training and studies in several religions and spiritual traditions. His knowledge is exemplified commendably in the work. The book is arrayed (mostly) with relevant images, and similar titles are referenced. I concur with some of his beliefs and assertions, such as, “Test everything to see if it’s true and if it works for you.” He, also, assists the reader with understanding and accepting the uniqueness of each person.

Nonetheless, I disagree with the author when he writes, “all current scientific theories and all academic knowledge . . . are equally subjective . . . even if they are the most accurate information we have today; they will be different in 100 years.” A difference does not automatically imply subjectiveness. Furthermore, he asserts that most thoughts about oneself are false. I believe this is simply untrue (at least for me). There is an issue of overuse of ellipses throughout the book, and the review copy of the e-book is formatted to present two pages on the screen per time. This makes it nearly impossible to read the text without zooming in. Additionally, a part of the book references a family of human beings, but an image of a coalition of cheetahs is inserted. Finally, there is an oversaturation of uppercase use to reference words. For instance, the question quoted above in the second paragraph indicates this. The oversaturation decreases the ability to read and recognize the relevant words in the text.

I give the book a rating of 2 out of 4 stars. It is not professionally edited, but it is enlightening and educative. I would recommend this book to people who enjoy reading nonfiction titles that address various religions and traditions.

Simply Awake
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ayoomisope's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Mr Benji »

Thanks for the review, I have learnt how to test everything for itstruthfulness from this.
Books are lovely.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

From the book’s cover, I would have never guessed it had anything to do with religion. I appreciate your informative review. I don’t think I would enjoy this one, but I’m glad you found it to be enlightening.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

From your description, I don't think this is one that I would enjoy. It does sound like there are some good tidbits you can pick up here and there. However, I'm just not really into spirituality or things of that nature. Plus, as you say, some of the things that he says sound false to me. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:

Post by ayoomisope »

stacie k wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 20:11 From the book’s cover, I would have never guessed it had anything to do with religion. I appreciate your informative review. I don’t think I would enjoy this one, but I’m glad you found it to be enlightening.
Thanks for your comment. I didn't really enjoy it myself. There was a lot of repetition of previous points, which made reading the book a little boring.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:

Post by ayoomisope »

kandscreeley wrote: 06 Apr 2018, 07:23 From your description, I don't think this is one that I would enjoy. It does sound like there are some good tidbits you can pick up here and there. However, I'm just not really into spirituality or things of that nature. Plus, as you say, some of the things that he says sound false to me. Thanks, though.
Thanks for the comment. The book is a short read though if you're ever interested.
― Charles William Eliot
VictoriaMcMillen
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriamcmillen.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Soldier by Adriene Odom

Post by VictoriaMcMillen »

Thanks for your review, it was enlightening. I am interested in the religions covered and seeing how the author portrays each.
~Victoria M.L. McMillen

"You can, you should, and if you are brave enough to start, you will." Stephen King
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:

Post by ayoomisope »

VictoriaMcMillen wrote: 08 Apr 2018, 13:35 Thanks for your review, it was enlightening. I am interested in the religions covered and seeing how the author portrays each.
Thanks for your comment. There's not much information on different religions in the book. Only what's important to the author's assertions are referenced. However, as I stated in the review, the author is well-versed in the practices of several religions.
― Charles William Eliot
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

ayoomisope wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 18:40 I concur with some of his beliefs and assertions, such as, “Test everything to see if it’s true and if it works for you.” ...Nonetheless, I disagree with the author when he writes, “all current scientific theories and all academic knowledge . . . are equally subjective . . . even if they are the most accurate information we have today; they will be different in 100 years.” A difference does not automatically imply subjectiveness. Furthermore, he asserts that most thoughts about oneself are false. I believe this is simply untrue (at least for me).
I agree with all these points, so that makes me feel as though I can rely on your overall rating. I won't be reading this one myself (one doesn't have to test absolutely everything!) but thanks for a very helpful review.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:

Post by ayoomisope »

Mr Benji wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 18:02 Thanks for the review, I have learnt how to test everything for itstruthfulness from this.
Thanks for the comment. You can check out the book for more insight.
― Charles William Eliot
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

Thanks for the great review. Hopefully, the issues with editing will not take away from the knowledge found in the book. I will definitely read it.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:

Post by ayoomisope »

Eileen R wrote: 12 Apr 2018, 08:50 Thanks for the great review. Hopefully, the issues with editing will not take away from the knowledge found in the book. I will definitely read it.
I appreciate your comment. The uppercase and page format issues affected reading drastically for me. However, I guess it would be based on preference. In addition, the page issues are probably going to be a review-copy-only problem.
― Charles William Eliot
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

ayoomisope wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 18:40 Furthermore, he asserts that most thoughts about oneself are false. I believe this is simply untrue (at least for me).
I totally agree with you. I think that is a flippant remark that doesn't apply to everyone. Or even to anyone. I really enjoyed this review - thank you!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:

Post by ayoomisope »

Bianka Walter wrote: 15 Apr 2018, 04:14
ayoomisope wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 18:40 Furthermore, he asserts that most thoughts about oneself are false. I believe this is simply untrue (at least for me).
I totally agree with you. I think that is a flippant remark that doesn't apply to everyone. Or even to anyone. I really enjoyed this review - thank you!
Thanks for the comment.
― Charles William Eliot
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:

Post by ayoomisope »

Libs_Books wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 13:25
ayoomisope wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 18:40 I concur with some of his beliefs and assertions, such as, “Test everything to see if it’s true and if it works for you.” ...Nonetheless, I disagree with the author when he writes, “all current scientific theories and all academic knowledge . . . are equally subjective . . . even if they are the most accurate information we have today; they will be different in 100 years.” A difference does not automatically imply subjectiveness. Furthermore, he asserts that most thoughts about oneself are false. I believe this is simply untrue (at least for me).
I agree with all these points, so that makes me feel as though I can rely on your overall rating. I won't be reading this one myself (one doesn't have to test absolutely everything!) but thanks for a very helpful review.
You are most welcome.
― Charles William Eliot

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”