Official Review: Mommy, Don't! by Michele Swensen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Re: Official Review: Mommy, Don't! by Michele Swensen

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Wow, sounds like a moving read. I'm definitely willing to give a shot! Thanks for the review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
JusCally
Currently Reading: Psycho 2
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juscally.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by JusCally »

Fantastic review! Such a personal story deserves a beautiful assessment like you've given. I'll have to give this one a pass, purely because otherwise I will never stop crying, but I commend you for choosing this book to read and taking it to heart.
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

These books are incredibly hard to read, but certainly powerful and perhaps cathartic to the author. It seems to have brought about strong emotions in you as the reviewer! Thank you for the recommendation, and for the thorough review.
SSvay
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SSvay »

Reading this review touch my heart just because I know what it feels like to be afraid and alone with no one to reach out to. Getting hurt by your family and abandon by your mother or father and no where to escape to.
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

This sounds like a really tough read. I always appreciate authors who handle such difficult topics as Child Abuse. It's about time that such topics are brought to light because although they exist they're sometimes hidden in the darkest corners and the victims are left to suffer in silence. Great review.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

It is easy to see why this story has brought you to tears. It is really heart wrenching to see young children being subjected to such abuse by older persons. Many times the older ones say it is because they were abused as a child why they have become abusers themselves. I question though, why would someone want to put someone through hell after he/she has experienced it?
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Post by bootsie0126+ »

JJNP wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 14:55 This is a definite must-read for me. I identify with it all.
One of the reasons we don't go to the cops or escape, although sometimes we try, is that we feel that we won't be believed, we will end up back and it will be even worse, or sometimes even it is loyalty, a bond a child has even for very bad and abusive parents is hard to break.
I'm sorry for your pain. Although I have not personally experienced abuse, I appreciate your courage to speak out. It is sad when victims are not believed in certain situations. Not taking anything away from your story, but this is the same thing that women who have been raped has gone through. many times they feel ashamed and don't want to relieve the incident in court because more than likely they feel like they are the ones on trial instead of the actual person who did it. Thanks for sharing.
dhomespot
Currently Reading: Blind Black Sheep
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhomespot.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by dhomespot »

Jkhorner wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 15:23 These books are incredibly hard to read, but certainly powerful and perhaps cathartic to the author. It seems to have brought about strong emotions in you as the reviewer! Thank you for the recommendation, and for the thorough review.
It was a very eye-opening read for me. I was talking to a guy the other day about a dad that beat a man to death when he caught him raping his little girl. This guy told me that the guy should have just called the cops because the rapist did not deserve to die and that the little girl "could get help and get over it". I think that even with help, there are some things that we cannot just forget. We can learn to cope, but it is always in the corner of your mind.
"Maybe ever’body in the whole damn world is scared of each other."- John Steinbeck

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”